Bain Hazmanim is in the Air

Dear Devoiry,

There’s only three weeks left to the zman and we’re rushing to finish daf daled amud alef.
I’m glad you decided to go to your parents’ bungalow till the end of the zman, because what else would you do with the kids? When we go to Lake George after the 9 Days we’ll finally be able to spend time with the kids.

I plan on doing all the shopping for that trip tomorrow because my chavrusah is going to be away, he said he has a doctor’s appointment but I think he’s going to Manhattan with his wife.

Today we were supposed to go through the R’ Boruch Ber on the sugya, we had already gone through it last week but we didn’t understand it so we spent the last few days learning the Maharsha, which is what the R’ Boruch Ber shtells zich on, and now we should be able to understand it. But in the end the whole oilem was talking about the matzav in Eretz Yisroel. I know we shouldn’t be shmoozing during seder but you know how it is when there’s a geshmake shmooze going on? You just can’t break away.
I plan on making it up with my baalebos tonight by night seder, I’ll try to go over the R’ Boruch Ber with him, usually if I explain it to someone else then I understand it.

R’ Matisyahu gave a shmooze yesterday about the “loshon hora circles” in the bungalow colonies, he said they’re holding back moshiach from coming. I know that your parents are in a very baalebatishe bungalow colony, but as the wife of a ben toireh I hope you set a good example.

I can’t wait to see you this Shabbos.

See part 2 here and part 3 here

Find out more about R’ Boruch Ber on 4torah.com

• Yoilish der Poilisher July 16, 2014, 9:10 AM

Cute, but a little drab. Maybe exaggerate a bit more and go over the top with it. This seems more like a funny text between two burned-out yeshiva guys than a solid frum satire post.

• Eh July 17, 2014, 7:15 AM

Rav Boruch Ber never shtells on the Maharsha. If you’re going to do a frum satire post, at least make it realistic enough that it sounds like you know what you’re talking about.

• Alter Cocker July 17, 2014, 9:03 PM

I’m wondering which yeshiva “Shragi” attended, because his post is pretty out of touch.

• Shragi July 18, 2014, 3:32 PM

I learned in Ohr Sameach, and for your information we had a very good R’ Boruch Ber rebbe.

• Alter Cocker July 20, 2014, 11:59 AM

Not so much, if he said R’ Boruch Ber “shtells zich” on the Maharsha

• Shragi July 20, 2014, 3:40 PM

Oysh, R Boruch Ber only explained R Chaims who only shtelled zich on Rambams. You’re right, this entire post is out of touch.

• Alter Cocker July 17, 2014, 4:41 PM

Is this supposed to be funny? And who calls their learning partner their “baalebos”?

• Shragi July 18, 2014, 2:02 PM

What, do you live out of town or something? What kind of ben toireh doesn’t have a baalebos who pays them to learn with them by night seder?

• Mike July 24, 2014, 4:39 PM

This is hysterical!! Heshy, or whatever your name is, this is like so
    identical to what goes on in all Brisk yungerlits Beis Medreshes.

I also live in San Francisco and Im a BT just like you , but I also know
    all about how the yeshivish yungermans and all theyre chevras have no idea how
    to really say shtark vorts. All they know how to do is speak about all the vorts
    from Rav Baruch Beer Soloveitchick on the Mahrams. And then when I walk into one
    of theyre yeshivas with my purple pants and need to use an artscrol siddur to
    read Hebrew they snicker at me. When I ask them for some Shtark vorts on the
    parsha they make fun of me. One even went so far as to give me a coffee that had
    salt in it. These bachurims have no idea about shtark. Rabbi Fink is SHTARK! not
    guys who shmooze! and learn till amud beis…
    So Fried, Im with you on this man!!

• Brisker Bum July 27, 2014, 6:12 AM

Before you make fun of all the Brisker guys, you might want to find out who Rav Baruch Beer Soloveitchickis. Because there is no such person!!!!

• Shragi July 30, 2014, 5:23 AM

Dude, come on, that was among the awesomest comments ever.

• piggy July 31, 2014, 1:54 PM

Mike you don’t sound like a BT to me. You come across like some stupid yeshivah guy trying to make fun of the Brisk cult. Your story is very lame.