Are 4 section velvet yarmulkes too modernishe?

black velvet yarmulkeI always felt like I’ve exhausted everything you could possibly write about yarmulkes. I’ve approached it from the place on your head where you wear it, the style vs. hashkafa, and even the whole slew problems that comes with changing your yarmulke style, but never in my life would I think that any sort of black velvet yarmulke would be considered too modernishe.

As much as I hate to admit it, pretty much everyone I know, myself included, comes to certian judgements about people who wear certian yarmulkes. In America it’s probably not as bad as Israel, but in general black knitted is the most neutral and black velvet is the most frum.

I have approached the subject of 4 vs. 6 section black velvet yarmulkes, but only in jest. The 6 section tend to be shinier and more pointy, while the 4 section are a bit softer and easier on the eyes. 4 section yarmulkes are also easy to find in the mini-suede-esque style that you can put on the front of your head. (back in the day it was the style to cover your long ass bangs with them)

I can’t really understand it, but the Pupa Yeshiva has banned 4 section yarmulkes and colored yarmulkes (I never knew they allowed colored yarmulkes anyway)

Find out more on 4torah.com

• Essie.g October 20, 2013, 11:06 AM

As a point of rebellion I crafted a half knit half velvet yarmulka when at tiuny. It was received by the rabanim in jest but I’m still proud of both making my point and standing ground a bit.

• Shragi October 20, 2013, 4:04 PM

I went to Pupa Cheder. When I was a kid they didn’t have to ban them, everyone knew that only goyim wear “4 slice” yarmulkes.

• David October 20, 2013, 5:19 PM

I like velvet kippot, but I find the trim required makes it hard to get it to “smash down” / “sit” properly on the crown of the head. As a result, I prefer to drab black cloth section kippot. I know these have a “hareidishe” / “chassidishe” patina in frum-eyes, but my hashkafah is actually rooted in the responsa of the yom shel shelomo, r’ yaakov emden, the dor revii, r’ eliezer berkovitz, and r’ soloveitchick. Its simple pragmatics. The amount of tom-foolery people put into making inferences based on the kippot people wear is a clear indicator that they have too much time on their hands and are focused on nothing of religious import. Heck, wearing a kippa at all is middot hassidut!

• tzfatisha October 20, 2013, 11:38 PM

this is ridiculous! don’t the rabbis who run this yeshiva have more important issues to worry about regarding their students than the size and style of their kippa? What about bullying, grades, middot, homework, health etc. If I was a parent with a child at that school I would take them out pronto!

• A. Nuran October 21, 2013, 8:58 PM

Fifty years ago plastic frames on glasses were standard. Now they’re too stylish and modern.

At some point trousers were goyishe. No good Jew would wear them.

As you say, don’t ask it to make sense.

• corporate Proxy solicitation Job August 20, 2018, 2:30 PM

It’s an amazing article for all the online users; they will take
    advantage from it I am sure.

• Who Makes The Best Spirit Level December 10, 2018, 11:09 AM

I seldom leave a response, but I looked at a few of the remarks on Are 4 section velvet
    yarmulkes too modernishe?. I do have 2 questions for you if you don’t mind.
    Is it just me or does it look like like a few of these remarks
    look like they are coming from brain dead individuals?
    😛 And, if you are writing at other online sites, I would like to keep up with you.
    Would you make a list of all of all your social
    pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?