What we can learn from shabbos davening times

3 hour shabbos daveningI have to be honest, I never gave the times people start shabbos morning davening much thought until I realized that the whole world didn’t just start at 9am. In general the orthodox Jewish way is to start shachris at 9am, but inreality once you start to nitpick you will find that the more black hat a shul is (not including chassidim) the less likely they are to start at 9am.

I only started thinking about this because shuls that start at 9am tend to have longer davening times than those that start earlier, once again, it’s always interesting to note that the less frum your shul is, the longer shabbos davening takes. Of course, my shul starts at 8:30 and takes at least 3 hours, but this includes a 40 minute drasha and an incredibly slow davening. Modern Orthodox shuls that take forever to daven are usually the result of extended singing and those darn kids doing the entire end of davening.

I’ve noticed that some shuls will even start as late as 8:55 to declare that they don’t want to be lumped in with modern orthodoxy. I think the 8:45 time clearly states such things and earlier davening times tend to reflect that of the z’man krias shema.

Now of course you have those that start later than 9am, it’s rare that it’s not a chassidish or chabad minyan doing such things. I’m not sure, I’ve ever been to a modern orthodox or yeshivish shul that started after 9. Have you?

Find out more on 4torah.com

• Moe August 12, 2013, 11:16 PM

Chasidish shuls, as a rule, generally will call the minyan for sometime after 9. And they usually don’t even start it the time its called for.

• Moe August 12, 2013, 11:18 PM

9 AM is a very common start time for (non-Chasidish) Yeshivish (black hat)/baalebatishe minyanim.a

• Alter Cocker August 14, 2013, 9:07 PM

where are you talking about? in NY, the yeshivish (black hat) places almost all start before 9.

9 AM is for shteibls and young israels

• Shragi August 13, 2013, 3:54 AM

I’d put it a drop differently; those lovely kids who do the whole darn end of davening.

• TM August 13, 2013, 4:38 AM

Not in Israel…maybe only Chabad shuls on Shabbat. My husband is Yemenite, and weekday Shachrit is at 5:15 AM, and on Shabbat it’s at 7:00 AM.

• Avigdor August 13, 2013, 5:25 AM

There are some shuls with “young marrieds” minyanim that start around 9:15-9:25. Granted, those are not the main minyanim of the shul, but it goes along with minyan start times in this post.

• Alex August 13, 2013, 6:20 AM

Going back to the early 1900’s in America when it was not uncommon for men to go to work on Shabbos after Shacharis, it was actually significantly “frummer” to daven late (say, 9 AM) because that meant you were not going to work. (If you were going to work, you would need to daven early so you could make it to work on time.) Sometimes a little historical perspective goes a long way.

• Avi August 13, 2013, 7:28 AM

Im not sure how it goes a long way

• Puzzled August 15, 2013, 10:11 AM

The Chabad I used to go to starts at 10. Being a kiruv place, it’s always funny to hear the rabbi at dinner (before everyone drives home) announcing the time to say morning shema…because that’s going to happen. The service also takes longer because they never have a minyan (yes, an odd sentence) and they replace the Torah reading with a class that includes reading everything in Hebrew, then in English, then discussing. This has the potential to be more enlightening, but it certainly longer.

• Alter Cocker August 15, 2013, 11:33 AM

Why was that an odd sentence? Made sense to me.

• Michael March 21, 2018, 12:19 PM

Do you mean that there is literally no krias hatorah?