Is there really a sheep’s milk shortage or is Trader Joe’s not willing to sell Israeli Feta?

The truth is I couldn’t care less about parve chocolate chips, but this past Tuesday I couldn’t find any pastures of Eden Feta which Trader Joe’s has carried for sometime. I was told by multiple Trader Joe’s that there was some sort ofSheep’sMilk shortage in Israel, but I couldn’t help but wonder if they were just messing with the Jews. It’s not sofar fetchedactually, there have been a lot of people encouraging Trader Joe’s to boycott Israeli products and this amazing Feta is very Israeli. If I could request you all to contact Trader Joe’s, share this post and do anything in your power to get this cheese back on the shelves. I really hope it is an actual sheep’s milk shortage and not some divestment of Israel, I just don’t think Jews can afford to boycott Trader Joe’s.

• Jochanna May 31, 2012, 2:50 PM

It took me all of two minutes to check the Israeli Dairy Board’s website to confirm that there is in fact a sheep’s milk shortage in Israel:

• Jason May 31, 2012, 10:55 PM

Well I’m sorry not everyone visits the Israeli dairy boards website every morning for the daily news

• Autonomouse June 3, 2012, 7:53 AM

However, “everyone” should before dismissing a claim of a shortage.

Elementary research. Seriously.

That being said, 10:1 this is satire at the willingness of our communities to go apeshit with the herd.

• Susie May 23, 2018, 12:24 AM

I tried the Trader Joe’s brand of sheep feta and it doesn’t taste anything like the Israeli version. We couldn’t eat it…to gamey and lacks that wonderful taste. I hope it returns soon on the shelves! We can’t eat cow or goat milk right now but can eat sheep.

• Vickie April 19, 2019, 2:50 PM

I totally agree with Susie. The Trader Joe’s brand of sheep feta tastes terrible and gamey. I had to throw it out!

• nichola May 14, 2019, 12:45 AM

The Trader Joe’s Brand of sheeps milk Feta is awful. I am trying to find it elsewhere and order in bulk?

• Daniel Heyman May 18, 2019, 9:49 PM

My local Trader Joe’s manager told me that Pastures of Eden feta is (now) “discontinued”.

• Michael Gabai August 4, 2019, 1:31 PM

Heard from Trader Joe’s directly. First of all, TJ DOES NOT participate in BDS😊.
              They explained that they have identified another ISRAELI supplier able to meet TJ’s high demand. Should hit the shelves in August.

• PT October 1, 2019, 10:07 PM

I’ve been waiting months now for this so called replacement. It’s now October and it’s still not in our TJ’s. We miss the Pastures of Eden Israeli Feta big time.
                TJ- whatever the issue with them is figure out a fix and bring it back. Please.

• sadie May 31, 2012, 8:25 PM

please….have a lil more faith and respect in TJ’s. you cant afford to boycott them and they would never “mess with the jews.” the sheeps milk shortage is legit. they still carry the 2 other made in israel poducts that they’ve always had. The choco chips was a vendor issue and is being dealt with. they still have the best price on empire chicken you can get anywhere outside of costco or some gross place like that.

• A. Nuran May 31, 2012, 10:30 PM

What’s wrong with Costco? They have a decent selection, good prices and treat their workers better than most.

• philo June 1, 2012, 4:08 AM

And they’re clean. I’ve never been to a “gross” Costco.

• Laney April 29, 2019, 3:44 PM

I was told by a trader Joe’s employee that TJs would no longer carry the pasture of eden label bought will be selling Israeli feta under their own label.

• philo June 1, 2012, 4:06 AM

Speaking of Costco, many of them sell the Israeli feta in a big 2-pack. Just stocked up.

• woodeye January 30, 2016, 7:33 PM

Me too.

• philo June 1, 2012, 4:19 AM

Though I wish it was easier to buy an American brand of kosher feta (like Millers) near where I live without paying a fortune. It’s weird that the stuff shipped 7,000 miles is significantly cheaper. I just can’t afford the millers sold for $6 for a small package in my local supermarket. Not with the large amounts of feta we consume in my house. So I buy the Israeli stuff, despite the much larger carbon footprint of its transportation.

• A. Nuran June 1, 2012, 7:10 AM

Yet another reason I make my own cheese. It’s not difficult. It saves a lot of money, and it’s fun.

• Anonymous June 2, 2012, 10:37 PM

What kit did u start with or use. I’m interested in trying it as well

• A. Nuran June 3, 2012, 12:22 AM

I didn’t get a kit. Some instructions plus a cheap digital thermometer, a pot, some lemon juice (or citric acid or tartaric acid) and cheesecloth is all you need to get started. Handy tip – to your local homebrewing store. Get a fine-mesh nylon tricot bag. It’s a couple bucks, but it’s a lot easier to clean than real cheesecloth and lasts forever.

Ricki Carroll’s Home Cheese Making is a great book to get started with. Her website cheesemaking.com sells starter kits and more advanced supplies if you want to go further.

If you start making rennet cheeses make sure to get kosher vegetable or microbial rennet. A lot of what you’ll find is animal-derived and runs straight into kashrut issues.

• bratschegirl June 4, 2012, 2:46 PM

Apparently the shortage has been resolved and the cheese should be back on the shelves today, at least in Northern California.

• mark June 11, 2012, 7:53 PM

Costco is also stating that their Israeli Feta is out of stock. This has happened before. Does this alter the farmers’ sex lives?

• mark June 11, 2012, 7:57 PM

Costco also doesn’t have Israeli feta. Both TJs and Costco have great Israeli fetas. Hope they both get them back soon.

• SweetCrunchyJewy June 14, 2012, 10:43 AM

Aha! Nobody told me anything about a sheep’s milk shortage, but I had to put up with inferior-tasting cow’s milk feta for three whole weeks. I just couldn’t figure out why no store in town had any tnuva sheep’s feta. Thanks for solving the mystery!

(and yes, I’ve now stocked up, just in case of future shortages)

• bonnie September 2, 2012, 8:34 AM

where in israel is this cheese made? occupied palestinian land or israel proper. personally, i’d boycott the stuff anyways even though it’s the best stuff available in my humble opinion.

• Lea May 2, 2019, 7:36 PM

Jews are the indigenous people of the land.
      The so-called Palestinians are the occupiers.
      56 Muslim countries, and 1 Jewish country is too much for you?”

• PT October 1, 2019, 10:14 PM

Lea, I love your response. Right on!
        I dislike anti-Semitism.

• Get Real December 1, 2012, 6:38 PM

Bonnie,

The Israelis, Jordanians and Palestinians are working together on a water pipeline to benefit all of them. The last thing they need is you injecting your negativism and your own political slant on the relationship between Jews and Arabs. Know what you’re talking about before you take a swipe at the Israelis. Most of them want peaceful co-existence.

• Fonda August 15, 2013, 9:01 PM

If there is a Middle Eastern (Arab, Armenian, Greek, Assyrian, etc.) store near you, they will likely have sheep’s milk feta from Bulgaria and/or France. It’s usually inexpensive and delicious.

• Melissa Anne September 18, 2013, 9:39 AM

Oh my!! I have to say this is the best Israel Feta..so creamy and I find, buying it in the package, not crumbed is cheaper. The cheese shop Manager at Wegmans taught me this. I also like it more on the chunky side too! Great product! We are getting a Trader Joes in our area soon! Hopefully, they carry it there and it’s cheaper! Love this product!!

• Kraig Adler November 16, 2013, 9:44 AM

Wegmans in Ithaca, NY, has stopped carrying this feta because of a pricing dispute with the supplier. Last year our store sold 3000 pounds! Please settle this dispute because we love this brand.

• Louise Gia March 16, 2014, 2:38 PM

Wegman’s Corporate has confirmed that Garden of Eden Feta will no longer be on their shelves! Of course, I went at them with my sharpened pen.
    Miss this amazing feta 🙁

• guyjones July 19, 2014, 8:58 AM

TJ’s in D.C. has this stuff; I just bought it this past week (7/17/14). Proud to support a great Israeli product and a true democracy thriving amidst wanton barbarism in a sea of hostility and ill-will. And, yeah, it’s great cheese, too, LOL.

• woodeye January 30, 2016, 7:32 PM

I buy Israeli sheeps milk feta at COSTCO for a very reasonable price.

• Nancy Hammerman August 18, 2016, 11:36 PM

I asked at my local TJ’s and they said they are discontinuing because they want to carry their own private label brand but it is not sheep’s milk. For those of us allergic to cow, all we can eat is sheep or goat and this cheese is the best…I am desperate to find it in LA. I checked Gelson’s and Whole Foods but no luck.

• Pam Mills May 3, 2019, 2:20 PM

I know this is from 2012 but it seems like games are being played again. The end of February 2019 I went into Trader Joe’s to see about getting the pastor of Eden feta and they said that there was a sheep milk shortage. When I went in the middle of March they only had about eight packages there so of course I bought one wishing I had bought more, and this being the first of May there shouldn’t be any milk shortage, so I asked one of the salesperson’s about the cheese, they said that the broker that they were buying from is no longer providing it. So until they get a different broker they won’t have it which sounds a little odd. So I don’t know if the broker that they were buying from is boycotting Israel or if Trader Joe is boycotting Israel.

• julie May 5, 2019, 12:23 PM

I’m a TJ enthusiast and will be VERY unhappy if this withdrawal is anti-Semitic. Not to mention this is one of the best products in the store! Will keep in touch and hope to keep it’s not true and I can remain a shopper!

• Steve May 14, 2019, 2:05 PM

I spoke with the cheese buyer at my local Trader Joe’s yesterday, and she said they will no longer carry Pastures of Eden. They are planning to replace it with a Trader Joe branded feta that will be available in July.

So disappointing since Pastures of Eden was vastly better than any of the other fetas available.

• judith June 7, 2019, 12:38 PM

This wonderful Feta Cheese is being boycotted by woke people due to the terrible treatment the Palestines are subjected to in Israel. Google Boycott of Traders Joe’s Feta Cheese Pastures of Eden. for info
    I applaud TJ but at the same time, I miss the best feta cheese in the world!!!!

• Carolyn Vivian October 2, 2019, 12:58 AM

After doing a web search I found two stores that carry our beloved Pastures of Eden sheep feta from Israel: Wegman’s on the East Coast is one and they sell through mail order. Hopefully Trader Joe’s will get this back or something better, but there is apparently no shortage for the other store who carry this brand.