Why do some frum people click their tongue before making a point?

I am noticing a growing trend in what I like to call “palate clicking.” (This was obviously written by a BT, because it is not a growing trend, palate clicking has been around for centuries, we practically have a mesorah for palate clicking)

Bradley Morgan sent this to me.

What is palate clicking? Palate clicking is that sound frum yids make just prior to making an important point. It involves putting the tip of your tongue on the palate of the mouth just behind the front teeth and then making a clicking noise. Normally it is preceded by a pause accompanied by a slight bobbing movement of the head or even yeshivish arm movements to indicate something thoughtful is about to be said.

Sometimes, depending on the intonation of the palate click and how significant the clicker finds what he just clicked about, a “you hear?” may even follow. But only sometimes. I notice that frum people that palate click do not know they do it and when I describe it they are confused and think I am just another crazy bt (which I am). Finally, most clickers are men but now that it has become so ubiquitous I am finding a lot of women also do it. But more rebbetzins than regular frum girls. I just picked up the habit and it makes communication with other yeshivish people a lot easier.

Find out more on 4torah.com

• nochnoch May 6, 2012, 10:33 PM

anyone who has ever said “frum yids” is a flaming bt

• Rabbi Talli Bahn May 6, 2012, 10:50 PM

The clicking represents our common ancestry with the ancient bushmen of Africa. If you have ever heard anyone lain in swahilli you’d know what I mean. We are all African in our hearts.

• dentista famil May 7, 2012, 10:54 AM

It’s not really the tip of the tongue on the palate, but the front portion of the tongue pushed up against the incisal edges/palatal aspects of the maxillary incisors.

• Anonymous March 11, 2018, 3:33 AM

I disagree

• Reb Yid May 7, 2012, 1:33 PM

This is just another example of a verbal crutch that many frum people use. I don’t know why these folks need to rely on modifiers, hand gestures, throat or tongue sounds and other annoying methods to express every thought. Just say what you mean with as few words and other distractions as possible. Then maybe the rest of the world can understand you.

• Anonymous May 7, 2012, 7:41 PM

relax bro. different societies have different ways of expressing themselves.

• Adam Burmakin September 26, 2016, 4:48 AM

shut up! There is only one truth.

• LOL May 7, 2012, 5:51 PM

Israeli’s do it too, even non frum ones…

• harold jonson May 8, 2012, 1:30 PM

im currently in a public speaking class and find that its not only people in the frum community who make this clicking sound, many people do this in my class when they feel that others dont understand the point that their trying to get across

• Off the OJ May 17, 2013, 12:10 AM

Yes, it’s the fallback sound when a frum person really wants to say, “You know what I mean” when no one knows what the fuck he is talking about.

• Joseph May 16, 2013, 9:54 PM

It’s mostly nigger women that do this. They do that damn clucking sound and start bobbing their damn big ass heads around, shaking half of their damn weave out..alll just to make an ignorant nigger point. Sad really.

• Jacob May 17, 2013, 4:48 AM

Joseph, i hope you grt stabbed some day

• Jacob May 17, 2013, 4:49 AM

*get

• UnbiasedOne May 10, 2017, 8:51 PM

Do I have a computer virus? Half of this is not real words?

• hcurrie77 December 13, 2017, 3:31 PM

I notice it is the latest trend with the dumb hive minded bitches. The same ones who say i know right its all good walk around duck lipping trying to pretend that is their normal face and baby talk and say like every other word. I guess dumb baby is out and this clicking they do while thinking or preforming a task is supposed to make them look smart