Buddhist putting on tefillin with chabad

It’s not as good as putting tefillin on Santa, but here we go with another “not sure if it’s real” promotional campaign from the chabad viral headquarters somewhere deep underneath 770.

Find more chabad pictures on 4torah.com

• Bruce Godfrey February 20, 2012, 9:36 AM

To me, it’s plausible; a great many American Buddhists are Jewish and I could imagine Chabad doing just this, even with a Buddhist in a saffron robe….

• Telz Angel February 20, 2012, 11:41 AM

Saffron robe or saffron tallis? Think about the potential.

• Koi Fish February 23, 2012, 1:36 PM

*lols*

• David Lerner February 20, 2012, 10:46 AM

If my following hasn’t already happened then it’s only a matter of time before it does…

What are the halachik implications of putting teffilin on someone wearing a cross?

Consider this scenario: Two Lubavitcher bochurim with dusty hats and untucked shirts are hustling for Teffilin on a Friday afternoon. They come across a man who upon being asked their famous query “excuse me, are you Jewish”, proceeds to explain that his mother was. Using their tried and true methods of persuasion, the bochurim convince the man to put on Teffilin, but then, just as he is rolling up his sleeve, they see it.

Glittering in the sunlight, a small crucifix dangling on a chain.

What should the bochurim do? Asking him to remove it will offend the man and will cause him to angrily refuse to wear tefillin, but leaving it on has him wearing divrei kedusha, saying brachus b’shem u’malchus and reciting the Shema while wearing a Tzeilem! I don’t know if this has been brought up before, but I’d love to know what people think.

• Max Kohanzad February 20, 2012, 1:31 PM

Yo – i’ve done it and witnessed it myself, some Jews are so far out of touch with Judaism that, you forgive them their trespasses and look beyond your own discomfort, here you are with a te’nok sh’nishbar, all you do is love them and show them you accept them as they are without too much judgment and just focus on the job at hand – repeat after me: Yehi Adoinaynu… !

• Anonymous February 20, 2012, 6:07 PM

is this for real??

• Woodrow/Conservadox February 23, 2012, 7:06 AM

I don’t see the problem here- is there some rule out there about what you can and can’t wear while wearing tefillin?

• dan March 20, 2012, 12:55 PM

what in the world , im a covert to judaism my rabbi didnt let me wear tefillin but some random buddist can …smh

• Avraham Naiman July 7, 2015, 8:04 AM