Israel Says: Don’t Let Your Kids Marry Americans

• Hannah November 28, 2011, 5:56 PM

So, let me get this straight: suddenly American Jews are not good enough. We’re the shkutzim of the world, and we all teach our kids to celebrate christmas because we’re such an easily influenced group of morons. Lovely. And over 2 million Jews should all move back to Israel (and who, dare I ask, will be employing all these people upon their sudden and immediate return?), which is becoming more and more a land of DECREASING tolerance for anyone who doesn’t have a penis, and is not one PARTICULAR form of orthodox.

Wow. If you stand on your head and close one eye, it ALMOST looks like logic.

• Akiva November 28, 2011, 8:17 PM

I think you’re confused. Israel also wants American Jews to make aliyah. The government is spending more targeting Israel expats becasue they are WAY more likely to move back than an American that has never lived there.

• Hannah November 29, 2011, 7:38 AM

They’re targeting expats by telling them that American Jews just don’t understand them, and that by living in the US, they essentially lose their self-identity. You can’t tell me you love me with one hand, and slap me in the face with the other.

I don’t think I’m confused here; they seem pretty clear on what they’re saying.

• anon November 29, 2011, 10:47 AM

Hannah, it’s not about you. It’s about encouraging Israelis to return home. It is accurate to say that Jews in chutz l’aaretz usually don’t have the same connection to Israeli culture that Israelies do, just as I can’t comprehend the attachment of American Jews to Thanksgiving, even after they’ve made aliya. This is fact. Why is that slapping YOU in the face?

When expats marry local people it is much harder for them to maintain their children’s link with their own culture and language. This is true everywhere, and especially when one’s culture is a minority culture. I know an Israeli woman whose son married an American, he lives there, and she can’t speak with her own grandchildren as they don’t know Hebrew. This is fact. Why is this a slap in the face to YOU?

Israel wants all Jews to return home. The majority of American Jews do not even understand where their home is, and calls for aliya largely fall on deaf ears. On the other hand the approach to Israelis living in the US is different, as it appeals, yes, to their background and their attachment to their family. Just as part of your identity was formed from growing up in America, their’s was formed from growing up in Israel, serving in the army, Yom Hazikaron, etc, etc. And that is why the campaign to appeal to them is different.

As for the imminent aliya of two million Jews, well that would be absolutely fantastic. Who would employ them? Probably some outsourcing company, as we work just as well if not better than Americans, at half the salary! A million monolingual Russians found jobs, I’m sure that it will not be a problem for the two million bilinguals.

• Hannah November 29, 2011, 12:16 PM

“Israel wants all Jews to return home. The majority of American Jews do not even understand where their home is” – that statement is why you can’t understand why it’s a slap in the face to American Jews. What if I logged on here and said that the reason why expat Israeli kids lose their culture is because Israeli expats aren’t capable of functioning outside of Ha’aretz, whereas at least American Jews know how to keep their culture? That would be insulting, and generally untrue… much like your statement.

And all those “million monolingual Russians” all found jobs, did they? That must account for the incidents of organized crime and prostitution that skyrocketed when they flooded the country. So yeah… I guess all those returning expats COULD find jobs!

• anon November 29, 2011, 12:53 PM

I have no idea why you think that your example would be insulting. It’s totally not. I think that you just picked out of my comment something to be insulted by and just ignored all the facts, especially, the implications of being an expat from a minority culture living in the most dominant culture in the world.

As for your comment on Russians, whilst what you write so sweepingly and dismissively is true of a small minority, the vast majority of Russians in Israel are well educated and well integrated in society. I wonder if you would speak so racistly of blacks and hispanics?

I also wonder if you have ever even been to Israel. I would suggest you make a trip with an open mind. You might find it a little bit different from the media stereotypes.

• Mark December 1, 2011, 10:53 AM

Shalom Anon: I think Hannah considers the slap in the face when she reads comments such as, “The majority of American Jews do not even understand where their home is” The term majority is a gross overstatement. For example, I grew up in a non-orthodox family, in a non-orthodox community where 90% of us went to Hebrew School. I know for sure, that all these people I went to Hebrew School with understand exactly where Israel is; and much more! I cannot imagine that the orthodox people in our country would know any less. You may at best want to revise your comment as saying, ‘there may be some American Jews who don’t know where their home is.’ We may not know much about Israeli culture, of course! But 90% of my fellow Jews that I’ve met in this country could discuss the meanings and origin of all the high holidays, songs sung in synagogue, and other Jewish traditions all day long.

• anon December 21, 2011, 7:26 AM

I didn’t mean that they don’t know where Israel is on a map, but that they don’t consider it home. Having travelled widely in Europe and Asia as well as spending six months in America, my impression is that most American Jews see themselves first and foremost as Americans, with their Judaism being a sort of cultural flavor. Whereas in other countries, the Jews know very well that they are not the same as the goyim.

As for Hanna’s comments, she seemed to be pretty insulted in her first comment, well before I wrote mine. Personally, I find it chutzpadik that someone who (apparently anyway) is not interested in making aliya both insults Israel and is offended by an aliya campaign to bring home other Jews. Efforts to encourage aliya among American Jews have largely failed. Now, with the more recent Israeli diaspora, the effort is to encourage them to come home, speaking to them in the “language” (and I don’t just mean Hebrew, but the emotional language that they can relate to) and Hanna along with many others are offended.

Yet it’s not about them and it’s very self-centered of them to think that it is.

• Mark December 21, 2011, 8:19 AM

Ok. First let me say that I was not offended in any way by the campaign. However, I can understand how someone would be, due to some of the wording in it. I’m simply playing devil’s advocate here. When you say “most American Jews see themselves first and foremost as Americans, with their Judaism being a sort of cultural flavor.”, You have to remember; we were born here, and have been bombarded with American values and Christianity our entire lives. It wasn’t our choice. With that being said however; considering we are such a minority, I still sense that we have done an admirable job of forming our own communities, educating our children about Judaism, and knowing VERY WELL we are FAR different the Goyim. I do not know where you spent your 6 months here; but next time, come to Baltimore! We’ll go to shul, and have Matzoh Ball soup at a strict Kosher deli. I will show you enough tightly-knit Judaism to make you want to become a mooslim 🙂 Lastly, and in all seriousness, let’s say a couple million of us actually consider making aliya. Where would you like to have us live 🙂 …or, in other words, how many of us would comfortably fit within Israel’s boundaries?

Best regards, and HAPPY Chanukkah 🙂

• soso November 29, 2011, 5:19 AM

See, the cousins influence us more than we influence them. New fashion: burka for our women…

• dc November 28, 2011, 6:00 PM

cant see the pic…..

• Friar Yid November 29, 2011, 6:05 PM

Rather than spending time and money on these silly ads, the Immigration Agency would be better served by researching why Israelis become yordim, and then working on correcting these issues. That would go a lot farther than transparent fear-mongering propaganda.

• Dan O. November 30, 2011, 9:43 AM

From the son of an ex-pat, I can save ’em few bucks:

Concerned Jewish Parent + Universal Conscription = Israeli Ex-Pat