Bulletproof stockings

Chassidic women typically wear something called the bulletproof stocking. These stockings are typically olive or some sort of brown, they aren’t those sexy black one’s they sell in Victoria’s Secret. These stockings are typically called bulletproof stockings by the rest of the Orthodox world.

One of the interesting things about bulletproof stockings is that they have seams sewn into them to prevent anyone from thinking the women’s legs are showing. These seams must be hand sewn in after the stockings are purchased. A friend of mine pointed out to me that seamed stockings are typically sexier than just regular plain one’s and it was ironic to her that Chassidim are using the seams to de-sexify the stockings, when in the regular world seams are used to make stockings sexier.

• Michaltastik November 21, 2011, 9:41 PM

Was that a convert or in the process who pointed that out? I noticed it right away because in the BJU-type religious world I was once in seams down the leg were hella assur, as with hoochie/hooker boots and excessive fake up. I was so surprised to see these things in the Jewish world. Also, they didn’t play with regard to skirts covering the knees. You would be shunned if your skirts were above your knees.

• Anonymous November 21, 2011, 10:59 PM

Seems very ironic to me as well. Then again, wearing a wig, which by the by is way better looking and sexier that normal hair, is incredibly ironic as well. Seriously, some of those wigs look pretty darn hot/good.

• Anonymous November 21, 2011, 11:00 PM

Seems very ironic to me as well. Then again, wearing a wig, which by the by is way better looking and sexier that normal hair, seems incredibly ironic to me as well. Seriously, some of those wigs look pretty darn hot/good.

• G*3 November 22, 2011, 6:55 AM

During WWII, when there was no silk available from Japan and the US government requisitioned nylon to make parachutes and ammunition bags, young women drew lines up the back of their legs to mimic the sexy look of seamed stockings.

• j November 22, 2011, 6:56 AM

I’ve always thought the least sexy thing for women to wear would be really baggy jeans and a baggy sweatshirt.

• Hannah November 22, 2011, 7:53 AM

I don’t ever recall being able to see enough of another woman’s leg to tell if there was a seam or not. We wore those thick-ass black tights under to-your-ankle skirts, and the older ladies always had rubberbands for garters, which they adjusted in the ladies room… much to my chagrin.

• Talia bat Pessi November 22, 2011, 3:21 PM

I only wear black stockings and/or knee socks (unless I’m going for a crazy bright purple/blue/pink/green look). I had no idea black was supposed to be sexy, I thought it was BP…

• Joe November 23, 2011, 6:43 PM

The stockings themselves are really ugly in color, texture, and thickness. The seams are just not up to the task of making such ghastly stockings look sexy.

• billy bob bobo November 24, 2011, 10:31 PM

nah, almost all wigs look very fake, to me.

besides for the texture, there is always that bump. GET RID OF THE BUMP!!

• Sholom November 25, 2011, 1:27 PM

Or perhaps it’s just that Jewish women are ugly.

• Skye April 13, 2018, 6:40 AM

Jewish women are far from ugly. That was an ignorant comment