Company creates the first kosher condom

There is little that amazes me anymore, news stories, products and scandals I would have jumped on 3 years ago – rarely cause me to lift an eyebrow anymore. Yes, I’ve been desensitized, I have been exposed to such frum community madness that some rabbi merely molesting his students for 25 years is not enough, blaming disasters on the length of sheitles is just run of mill and even the kosher sex toy website I wrote about a couple of weeks ago, wasn’t that big a deal. So I really didn’t expect too much fanfare over kosher condoms, I figured it was just a novelty created by some quasi-religious Jews who read a bit too much of Heeb and wanted to elicit a few laughs, but when I found out that these condoms were the first to deal with several halachic conundrums, I tuned in and was shocked at what I found.

I will start with a story: A very good friend of mine once told me that he was dating a very baal teshuva girl who used to pre-open the condom packaging before shabbos so neither of them would violate shabbos by tearing any letters. While I was really moved by the mesiras nefesh that one would go through to honor the holy sabbath, it struck me as odd that no condom manufacturer had thought of this issue and try to corner the frum older singles market. There were already lubrication on the market that were certified kosher, so why not have condoms?

The new company,m ironically called Kosher Kondoms, has nothing to do with Kosher Water. They are based in Baltimore and as you guessedm, the owners are a husband wife engineering team who recently became frum. They missed the mess-free ease of using condoms when they visited other people’s houses for shabbos and wondered if there was a market for such an item. After speaking discreetly to friends and neighbors they realized that the market extended beyond those trying to keep their friends sheets semen free, singles whom had gotten birth control heterim and those who felt that pills were not halachically correct because they played god, even the carlebachian crowd who viewed pills as dangerous because they were not organic, expressed interest in having a kosher condom.

Not only was the packaging a problem for shabbos, but the perforated lines created issues because you are not allowed to tear along the lines on shabbos, unless it was for food and so they attempted to make the condoms edible. When making an edible condom proved too extreme, they decided to include a small peice of Must-Gum in the package so that technically the shabbos issue was solved. I also learned that many condoms use treife lubrication, some of the time it is made from chazer and some of the time from grease recycled from basur v’cholov – there is no issur against using pig for non-eating benefit, but using basur v’cholov is downright assur.

Not only did the fine folks from kosher kondoms figure out a way to make 100% kosher lube, they made it parve and kosher for pesach, unlike most kosher lubes – it contains no-kitnyos.

Search for kosher condoms on 4torah.com

• Sir Cat Balls, PhD September 19, 2011, 7:49 AM

I just thought of a great advertising shtick for a Kosher for Pesach Lube: It might be chometz-free, but you’ll still get a rise.

• m23 September 19, 2011, 7:58 AM

i actually thought this was real until i got about halfway thru lol

• Yoseph Leib September 19, 2011, 8:44 AM

I thought it was real until I got to the part about chazer in the lube– everybody knows that lube has to be water based rather than oil based.

What you describe as an ostensible “Carlebach” kitrug against the pill because it’s not organic– barely scratches the surface of of how bad the pill; much more problematic than conventional lettuce. It tends to cause all kinds of health problems, the longer it’s used for, and is really terrible for anyone who can feel their body and doesn’t like being nautious for most of the day. The tragedy of condoms is how much they alienate us from the whole sex process– licking any wet surface that has a condom on it is supergross, and tastes and smells it– licking is AT LEAST 72% of sex, for heavens sake!
    And the whole idea of just using them in the midst of something so holy as coition and then just throwing them away is just tragic she b tragic.

it’s a chaval that sheepskin condoms are so ineffective, because they’re really the traditional condoms of our shepherd ancestors– I was thinking, you know what would be awesome? Dragonskin condoms. Infinitely light and facilitating of sensetivity, but also completely impenetrable. I would settle for snakeskin, but certainly something that I would take the time to wash and/or lick clean. Nawm sayn? Anyhow, why not just go bareback, and have more yiddishe kinder, like R’ Yaakov Emden implored? No one should ever bother having sex with anyone they don’t want to have kids with anyway. Unprotected is already the minhag in Eretz Yisrael, (where secular people don’t even plan to get married until someone’s pregnant) because what says “I love you” like willingly accepting someone’s STD’s? I can’t imagine.

• Mendy September 19, 2011, 9:14 AM

I don’t think you can find one posak that would allow condoms, even in extreme situations.

• Bubba Metzia September 20, 2011, 12:45 PM

Why not? After you’ve fulfilled the requirement of ‘be fruitful and multiply’ (meaning you’ve given birth to at least one child of each gender) what’s halachically wrong with using birth control?

• Steve September 21, 2011, 8:00 AM

I would assume the issue is zera livatalah.

• Bubba Metzia September 22, 2011, 5:52 PM

What’s that?

• notfunny September 19, 2011, 9:35 AM

only kosher condom is one with a hole in it. 🙂

• Stanley Katz September 19, 2011, 10:42 AM

I just realized you are the Orhodox Larry David. He picks up the nuances of our everyday behaviour that nobody else notices. like if a black man wears glasses the way he is perceived is different, like with Leon. Now, to the guys out there- just wear a black hat and you’ll get an alliah or maybe being redt to an good girl

• Heshy Fried September 19, 2011, 10:08 PM

Thanks

• Chaim Danzinger December 16, 2014, 3:14 PM

> just wear a black hat and you’ll get an alliah or maybe being redt to an good girl

Way ahead of you.

>tfw you live in a community where there are hardly any blackhatters to set you up with their daughter

• WACKY MAC & CHOCOLATE PIZZA September 19, 2011, 11:22 AM

I have a friend who got a heter to use a condom from a Lubavitch rabbi on the upper west side.

• Anonymous September 21, 2011, 6:05 AM

What if he wanted to use it in Brooklyn?

• Leib Tropper September 19, 2011, 1:19 PM

These new condoms will prevent issue on shabbos!

• Crowin' Cock September 19, 2011, 1:27 PM

Maybe the condom heter depends on who you’re boning. If the chick’s real sleazy and their is a good chance of catching an STD, you be able to claim pikuach nefesh overrides Shabbat.

• shop mỹ phẩm vn February 10, 2018, 3:02 AM

After going over a number of the blog posts on your site, I truly like your technique of writing a blog.

I book-marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking
    back in the near future. Take a look at my website as well and let me know how you feel.

• shop my pham vn February 10, 2018, 3:08 AM

I enjoy, lead to I found just what I was taking a look
    for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man.
    Have a great day. Bye

• shop mỹ phẩm vn February 10, 2018, 3:12 AM

Helpful information. Lucky me I found your site accidentally,
    and I’m surprised why this accident did not happened in advance!
    I bookmarked it.

• protow.com February 21, 2018, 12:25 AM

Those sɑmе sort of companies aгe inclined t᧐ hire leas experienced oг рoorly qualified drivers annd mіght n’t һave any training programs ѕet uρ
    to coach drivers on safe practices. Α host ᧐f key improvements аre actuаlly сreated tо tһiѕ ʏear’s models and in lieu
    of hɑving үou wait for these upgrades, Kendon has quietly ƅeen shipping the upgraded modeps fοr the past handful оff months.

Some companies can еven navigate tօ the point of serving insiԁe thе documentation required Ьy insurance providers.

• blockchain securities March 9, 2018, 2:22 PM

I’m gone to convey my little brother, that he should also pay
    a visit this weblog on regular basis to take updated from latest news.

• Mair Zvi March 11, 2018, 8:17 PM

The condom should have the following bracha inscribed on it in yiddish:
    Kumen in gut gezunt. (Come in good health.)

• tiendas online March 27, 2018, 1:09 PM

It’s remarkable in support of me to have a website, which is beneficial for my
    knowledge. thanks admin

• alazharkursusarabpare.blogspot.co.id/ April 8, 2018, 12:12 PM

Hi, i rwad your blog occasionally and i owwn a similar one and i was just wondering if
    you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can advise?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any support is
    very much appreciated.