BT’s versus FFB’s

I am in love with this rant and the fact that I could just jump into making videos again and it’s so much fun. I can give over so much stuff on video that I can’t do with writing and visa-versa, so enjoy and come check out my you tube account for more rants from crazy old me.

Search for FFB’s and BT’s on 4torah.com

• Batya August 23, 2011, 1:41 AM

I’m a BT for decades longer than you’re alive, and I still feel “different.” I have more in common with geirim.

• Anonymous August 23, 2011, 6:08 AM

I’m a BT too, and I was sort of hoping things would get better when I started. But there will always be those awkward conversations. It really shouldn’t be appropriate to demand my life story when we meet, but everyone still does

• Aliza Hausman October 4, 2011, 11:30 PM

That’s definitely a way that converts and BTs have things in common. A bunch of us converts call it the “Spanish Inquisition” because you’ll be sitting there but you, the convert or in your case the BT, will be the only one who gets the demand to share their life story and all the private details of their life. One friend who converted says she’s been made to feel like the entertainment.

• David August 23, 2011, 6:30 AM

Have you ever noticed that a lot of FFB’s have no problem going away for Shabbos to places with no shul/minyan, but BT’s are very relunctant to do this?
    Maybe BT’s feel they have spent enough Shabbosim without shul and don’t want more, or they are scared of being judged. Lots of FFB go to places in the beach or mountains without a minyan, and most BT’s I know would think twice before doing this.

• Michaltastik-gyoress August 24, 2011, 10:26 PM

Shabbosos…

because BTs and gerim usually listen to everything their rabbi tells them and rabbis say not to do that. Whereas, FFBs go by how they are raised. I was at a shiur once and the almost smicha giving the lecture was saying you can’t shower in the 9 days, but all the women were like.. NO, that’s not what we did growing up. I was ridiculed for wearing a swim dress about a year ago. I was told only little girls bother being tznius by the pool and if I”m so worried, wear a bulky T-shirt but a swim dres???? I mean… “where did you even FIND that THING??” was what one FFB said to me.

• Guest August 26, 2011, 9:00 AM

Hey Michal, don’t listen to the haters. Who knows, maybe you even managed to look more stylish in that dress, while still being tznius?

• Aliza Hausman October 4, 2011, 11:32 PM

Shorts AND a bulky man’s t-shirt apparently trump a swim dress. Um, no, not to anyone who likes to swim!FFBs love teasing converts almost as much as they love talking about and teasing

• Aliza Hausman October 4, 2011, 11:33 PM

FFBs love teasing converts almost as much as they love talking behind the backs of BTs. It always strikes me as odd that FFBs think it is okay to poke fun at BTs in front of converts when I have more in common with BTs than with FFBs. Most FFBs frequently do what their family does and don’t know where that minhag even derives from.

• Ilanit August 23, 2011, 8:13 AM

If it helps, I don’t really want to be “one of you” anyway. This is why no matter how observant I get, I’ll never consider myself orthodox. Who cares that I’m shomer shabbos and shomer kashrut; my parents are reform, so G-d only knows what must be ~wrong~ with me.

Fuck that.

• yankelyoffen August 23, 2011, 10:06 AM

Hesh, why don’t you show us who the FFB’s were ? was it a bunch of yeshiva guys taking their summer vacation after a long, difficult zman ?

After all, Torah mateshes kochos shel Adam …

• Y,CA August 23, 2011, 12:07 PM

This is *THE* best video you’ve ever made. Sticky it. And you are so right about how rare it is to find 3 FFB’s in the same spot here in the bay. (But guess what? That’s what makes the B.A. so great). I grew up here and would never leave.

• Velvel Belkin August 24, 2011, 5:36 PM

I was really laughing this whole video.

• Michaltastik-gyoress August 24, 2011, 10:42 PM

btw, FFBs will never admit it, but a generation ago frum women wore pants… It actually had less of a stigma, right along with the fact that people used to eat milchigs out or eat places that supposedly no one holds by. Yet, even Brooklyn sheitel types do this.

Thank you for admitting that they will never accept us. Of course they lie to people in the conversion process and tell them that Torah says people have to accept them.

I was discussing recently BTs vs. converts with an FFB (who I never told her I was a gyoress, but I”m pretty sure she’s figured it out-well my blonde hair blue eyes gives me away) She was saying how geirim give themselves away and how WASPs are different from secular rich Jews.

• Aliza Hausman October 4, 2011, 11:35 PM

I find that rich people, in general, have more in common with each other than the rest of us living paycheck to paycheck. WASP, Jewish or whatever.

• Stephanie December 5, 2013, 6:01 PM

Hey!
      Just for the record – the Torah does say that people have to accept them; no one’s lying about that. The fact that people choose not to, is their own personal issue for which each individual will be responsible after 120…

• UA August 27, 2011, 8:37 PM

I actually have something to put out there, the idea that BT’s/ Ger’s would actually rather marry BT’s/ Ger’s rather than FFB’s. What does everyone think of that?

• FFBgyoret August 29, 2011, 9:11 AM

depends on the person. and there are actually kind of FFBgers too.
    When an entire family converts with little kids, the kids grew up orthodox from the beginning but they’re converts (converted at age 2, 9, 10).

• Aliza Hausman October 4, 2011, 11:37 PM

Nobody EVER talks about that. Everyone assumes people are converted as adults but I know plenty of babies, some adoptees, who were converted just after birth. They know nothing but the Orthodox community and have very little in common with other converts until they finally experience the same prejudice against converts in dating, schools, aliyah, etc.

• faigy m. January 3, 2013, 5:29 AM

very funny and true.. I always found bts awkward to be around because Judaism is all the want to talk about and they are somewhat judgmental if you were born frum and have strayed off that path…

• dude August 26, 2014, 7:36 PM

you sound like a baal gaava

• dude October 6, 2014, 8:01 PM