Frum leaders call for Bartenura to remove obscene advertisement

The frum community is in an outrage after Bartenura decided to place their best selling Moscato Diasti white wine in an obscene rap video. Best known as the wine in a Blue Bottle, moscato di-asti is a sparkling wine cooler that is one of the only wines drunk in the frum community. Although Trader Joe’s has started selling the Sarah Bee moscato, the Bartenura wine in a blue bottle has still seen swift sales until now. Community leaders are urging Bartenura to pull the obvious product placement from the DJ Khaled video “I’m on One” which features Drake a Jewish rapper from Toronto. Not only does the video feature untznius women and a lot of expletives typical of rap videos – but the song is not conducive to a frum lifestyle because it keeps talking about how all the rapper cares about is money and that is antithetical to a frum lifestyle. The product placement is featured at the 3:08 mark, thanks to Gila for sending me this important and interesting story.

• ett July 20, 2011, 7:55 AM

So weird! How come they put it in?

• Telz Angel July 20, 2011, 8:25 AM

‘cuz if U drink it, U get tail. Fine tail.

• Hayyim `Ovadya July 20, 2011, 8:36 AM

Heter qiruv? Maybe they’re trying to be meqarev Drake and encourage him only to drink kosher wines?

• Steve July 20, 2011, 9:32 AM

Or, maybe Bartenura wanted the cash and figured that nobody who would be outraged would actually see the video (since they would be a hypocrite to be outraged about such a thing yet also ‘happen’ to watch the video). Oh well.

• Telz Angel July 20, 2011, 2:49 PM

You are probably right. The strip club I typically go to after work also serves Bartenura.

whoops.

• Anon July 21, 2011, 8:25 AM

That’s probably because a lot of their patrons drink only kosher wine (seriously, they’ll go to a strip joint but will only drink kosher wine)

• Telz Angel July 21, 2011, 8:50 AM

I love it how you insist on the “seriously” — considering this is a satire blog, the very concept of seriously cannot be taken seriously, and every joke must.

• Anonymous July 20, 2011, 12:26 PM

Maybe the more ppl buy the bottle based on this placement, the price per bottle will go down making it easier for all Yidden to buy it.
    Its a win win isnt it?
    Jews love low prices and Moscato in the Blue Bottle. Who cares if some more talented then you shvartza drinks it.

• Batsheva July 21, 2011, 5:19 AM

LOL! Good question!

• Aliza T. July 20, 2011, 1:19 PM

My question is which frummie pointed this put to a rabbi? That must be an awkward conversation. “um…rabbi I happened to accidentally see this video by mistake…”

• OfftheDwannaB July 20, 2011, 2:30 PM

That’s AWESOME!
    There are like 3 close-up shots of the label.

• Alisa July 20, 2011, 2:37 PM

Drake is chassidishe.

• Telz Angel July 20, 2011, 2:50 PM

‘cmon, then it would be Kesser.

• Anonymous July 20, 2011, 6:25 PM

HAHAHAHA!

• LESKid July 20, 2011, 3:07 PM

Thanks for telling me where to look on the video. You saved me from three minutes and seven seconds of pure torture listening to this drech.

L’Chaim!

• H.E. Pennypacker July 20, 2011, 4:02 PM

i actually know people in the business and i was told Bartenura dropped a lot of $$$ for that spot, they also took out a full page ad in a big time hip hop magazine this past month….great song, love drake

• Yoreh K'chetz July 20, 2011, 4:55 PM

Agree with LESkid, you saved me 3.08 minutes of torture. Reminds me of an urban legend I heard about more Puerto Ricans drinking Manishewitz than Jews.

• AstroTheSpaceDog July 20, 2011, 5:02 PM

I make my own wine.

• jj July 20, 2011, 5:36 PM

mnmm

• Ilana July 20, 2011, 10:09 PM

hahah that’s awesome! Drake is getting back to his roots…

• AH July 20, 2011, 11:07 PM

That’s hilarious!
    As someone who enjoys good wine I’m kinda repulsed though. I tried the Sarah Bee from TJs, it’s not that good. But shockingly, TJs (in NY) sells the Bartenura COLD, which leads to believe that it’s actually quite popular even among non-Jews. That surprised me.
    The worst thing is that Royal Wine Corp.’s very own Gamla Moscato is much, much better than Bartenura

• Heshy Fried July 20, 2011, 11:25 PM

I can honestly say I’m spoiled because I’m friends with the folks who run Covenant and Four Gates – Covenant makes the best kosher cabs on the market and Four Gates is just good all around – though you can onloy buy it from the winery.

• Batsheva July 21, 2011, 7:33 AM

WHAT???? I think your judgment is clouded by the cheesy bottle. Sarah Bee is AT LEAST as good as the Bartenura. Two out of six people at my last Shabbat dinner thought it was BETTER. The other four thought it was just as good, or basically the same. I owe Heshy big time for introducing me to it. I bought two cases! (TJ’s gives you 10% off if you buy by the case, and it’s already HALF the price of the Bartenura!)

• Zvi July 21, 2011, 12:18 AM

First of all, the song is almost as awful as the values it expresses.
    However, Bartenura is a private company that has every right to make money wherever they see fit so long as its legal. The only thing the rabbis ought to be concerned about here is whether the wine itself is kosher. It’s not like that brief plug is an endorsement of the song’s message, and even if it is, who cares?

• Michael Makovi July 21, 2011, 12:27 AM

I’m sure that Bartenura does NOT care about only money (the subject of the rap video). I’m sure they make their wines solely l’shem shamayim, and the money is just a nice perk on the side. 😛

• Telz Angel July 21, 2011, 8:49 AM

I see you are machmir on the chazon ish shiur of a revi’is.

• A. Nuran July 22, 2011, 2:01 PM

That was a song? Was there any actual singing?

“I’ve got lots of money. I don’t care about anything or anyone else.”

Words that start with “s” and “f”? Meh. He doesn’t have any other words, so that’s what he uses. He likes making the sign of the double-humped iguana? OK. Most of us do. But his values are really obscene.

• Anonymous July 21, 2011, 2:05 AM

few points-
    1- guarantee you bartenura has no idea their bottle is in that video
    2- i dont keep shaboos but love bartenura- does that make me schitzo
    3- fine wines taste like shit- anyone who professes to like them are full of pretenious shit- give me bartunera over covenenant any day- yeh sure bartenura tastes like soda- but very fine tasting soda. covenant and all other dry wines on the other hand taste like astringent crap.

• Michael Makovi July 21, 2011, 2:57 AM

Amen on #3!!

That’s why I drink beer. Among the light-colored beers, I’ve found Spaten Munchen, Zatecky Gus, and Samuel Adams Boston Lager to be especially full-flavored, but I’m still constantly trying new ones. But just about anything besides an American-style light lager will be good. And darker beers, they’re all good, full of chocolately and coffee-like flavors. Try a doppelbock: it tastes like whole-wheat bread with caramel.

And if you want something fancy and classy, buy a Belgian beer. Similarly to wheat beers, they’re very sweet and fruity.

• BoxedWhine July 21, 2011, 5:47 AM

Do you also like Newcastle? I love Newcastle.

• Michael Makovi July 21, 2011, 7:45 AM

Never had it. It’s hard to find American or English beers in Israel. Israeli beers tend to be either the ubiquitous pisswater brands (Tuborg, Carlsberg, Maccabee, and Goldstar), a very few English and German, and mostly Czech and Belgian beers. Also, there are several craft brands…off the time of my head, they include Bazelet, Asif, Canaan, Negev, Golan, Dancing Camel, Jem’s, and Taybeh.

• Heshy Fried July 21, 2011, 7:50 AM

wow who has taken my satire all too seriously – dry wines have their place as well as sweet wines – Bartenura is great as a desert wine and it also makes a great sorbet – but anyone who likes dry wine is not pretentious – that sounds awfully pretentious of you to call out millions of people who enjoy a fine pinot or grenache.

• Sergeant J July 21, 2011, 6:02 AM

Because it’s better to be completely not religious than to be a teeny bit religious in public, which is why all the “frum” criminals take their kippot off for perp walks….. Hmm. Bad example, since thy don’t…. Umm, maybe it’s like when frummies tell BTs to do everything at once o become frum…. Hmm, nope…… Maybe it’s because frummies ….. Nope. Racism is all I got left…

• jennthejewess July 21, 2011, 6:28 AM

THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Hesh u made my day 🙂

• Sarah July 21, 2011, 8:59 AM

Did anyone else pick up that right after the 4-minute mark, Lil Wayne says “Mazel tov?”

• Anonymous July 21, 2011, 1:17 PM

Nope, I only noticed the “mozzel-tawf”

• Stanley Katz July 21, 2011, 10:15 AM

AHA! Now I know why the African American Couple on the liquor store line asked the clerk for Bartenura. Move over Colt 45 and Hennesy

• Jacob July 22, 2011, 12:56 PM

I don’t know why the frum community can’t accept the fact that we gangsta

• AC July 25, 2011, 1:50 AM

The bottle featured in the video isn’t Moscoto D’Asti, It’s just Moscato. A number of years ago Bartenura decided to use cheaper grapes from Pavia instead of the more costly Asti grapes. (Apparently their customer base wasn’t impressed by the DOCG designation and they realized they could make more profit by replacing it with an IGT wine.)

• jimmoo July 27, 2011, 4:53 PM

What about the fact that a guy name khaled is drinking the stuff!

• Dave Dovenberg August 7, 2011, 12:29 AM

listen u batoolem its a drink that tastes good and maybe other people like it other then frum retard like you all so get a life and stop crying that someone else used ur wine thats not even urs in a rap video..dont worry the chulent will still be on ur table..drake is jewish and is awseome not everyone has to have a strimel or a bekesha to drink bartenura u batoolem