Leftover Cholent: A new frum blog with some potential

I generally don’t read blogs, heck I schedule most of my blog posts, tweets and other goodies so I don’t have to spend valuable outdoors time keeping up with this wonderful online community that has been outgrowing this blog and forcing some fans to even meet each other in real life. I find that every few days, I get an email from someone asking me to add their blog to my blogroll (Blogrolls are so 2006, I hate the darned thing and keep threatening to delete it, I took it off the main page 2 years ago) or plug them in a post, I shirk this duty I have to my fellow newbie bloggers, because I know that most blogs die after about two weeks and I’m just too darned lazy.

With this said I am going to plug a new blog (Leftover Cholent), not only because she’s a super cuttie (all cute girls who don’t have eating disorders know this anyway, I’m not saying she’s fat, but I’m sure if she wore hipster jeans she may be able to force a small muffin top into appearing, but she dresses tznius so it’s cool), but because she sounds exactly like I do, in a post titled “Too Sexy for my snood” she may liable for plagiarism if I knew she had been reading me long enough. She says:

Don’t get me wrong, I know a few ladies that can rock the snood, but let’s face it: a tichel hugs every curve of the head in such a sexy way that men do a double-take when they pass you on the way to mincha. And the sheitel: who can resist those long flowing locks of smooth shininess?

I even told her, that if I put up one of her posts and it was anonymous, everyone would think I wrote the post. Shockingly, she is not-anonymous, 99% of frum girl bloggers are anonymous, I cannot think of one that isn’t anonymous actually. They are scared of shidduch market value drops and of the fact that many girls are creating alternate online persona for themselves because their single lives suck so much (their blogs tend to suck too, rare that one of the multiple lame shidduch blogs actually entertains and even rarer is the shidduch blogger that keeps blogging once they get hitched, I’m just trying to be honest) that they need to figure out a way to make their slide into spinsterdom more pleasant – it’s hard being a 22 year old single bais yaakov grad these days.

I’m not saying that Miss Donyel Meese is brilliant, she’s new and writing for the Jewish Press isn’t exactly something to boast about, but what I’m saying is that she may have some potential as a funny, frummy girl blogger and being that I rarely give plugs to other bloggers I figured I would hook her up. I read through her blog and it’s got some interesting matter of fact writing laced with light humor, but what’s most important is that it’s honest and we know the person behind the blog (my opinion of a blogger is infinitely higher when they are open with who they are)

• haha November 8, 2010, 7:50 AM

“I even told her, that if I put up one of her posts and it was anonymous, everyone would think I wrote the post.”
    I don’t think that is a compliment
    first!!

• Donyel November 8, 2010, 8:52 AM

depends on how you look at it.

• Adena November 8, 2010, 7:57 AM

I think this may be the start of something…

• ZZB November 8, 2010, 8:48 AM

Sort of what I was thinking.

• Esther November 8, 2010, 10:02 AM

Ditto

• Michaltastik November 8, 2010, 2:05 PM

I have a friend who blogs not Anonymously, rbsommer d*t blogspot…

I’m only semi-anonymous. I don’t have my picture up or my last name. Although, I try to keep my last name as private as possible, even outside blogging. I don’t have my pic up cuz it’s creepy being at a Shabbos meal or bus stop and having people tell you they know you.

• Nudnick November 8, 2010, 4:50 PM

“I dont have my picture up or my last name.”

Correction, you have a picture of your eye up. I think that counts for something.

• Michaltastik November 8, 2010, 2:07 PM

Incidentally, ms sommer wrote a book with her pic on the front and she’s written for the Jewish Press, too.

Oh, and people should check out my blog.

• OfftheDwannaB November 8, 2010, 9:39 PM

I looked at the “leftover cholent” post. It’s cute.
    It’s pretty obvious why she’s got a picture up though: She’s hot as hell.

• Truth-teller November 9, 2010, 3:29 PM

Heshy, you begged my friend Jason Maoz to run your articles in the Jewish Press and when he did run one of them you boasted about it on this very blog. So stop bad-mouthing the Jewish Press because you’re angry they haven’t run anything of yours since that initial piece a couple years back. (There are e-mail exchanges between you and Jason to prove that, as you know.)

• Donyel November 9, 2010, 3:52 PM

Thank You!!! I agree.
      You want ice with that burn, Heshy?

• Heshy Fried November 10, 2010, 1:36 AM

I have those email exchanges too, but you have to remember that those were different times, that was before I had built up one of the most influential and popular sites on the web and before I had come to know that writing for the JP wasn;t really the best thing for my resume and reputation.

I have more monthly readers than you have as circulation of a dying newspaper- now who needs who huh?

• s(b.) November 10, 2010, 3:19 AM

Don’t get arrogant. (I don’t read the JP, I just don’t like arrogance, and I know you can do better than that.)

• CityGirl November 15, 2010, 3:03 AM

Everybody know the only way you get an article to run in the JP is by brib er… paying for it.

• Sheva November 9, 2010, 8:06 PM

so i blog to a different crowd but i would like to say that i am not anonymous and i get some shtus for it. I have even been pulled into the Rabbi’s office, good thing i didn’t have my snood on.

• Truth-teller November 10, 2010, 7:17 AM

Heshy, you say writing for the Jewish Press isn’t good for your resume and reputation. Tell that to all the academics, authors, leading rabbis and others whose work appears there each week. One nationally known pundit who lives near me and whose columns (many of them exclusive to the JP) appear in the JP told me he gets more reaction from people when a piece of his appears in the Jewish Press than when he appears on CNN. You’re just bitter because your claims about your relationship with the Jewish Press were exposed as untrue by Luke Ford on his blog.

• nechama November 11, 2010, 10:07 AM

why you talking about her muffin top

• rolex daytona replica July 12, 2013, 7:37 PM

I really like this, I expect better next time. I’m happy to have been a part of your life. Good luck.