Lakewood residents say yellow recycling bins are ruining town character

I live in the wonderful city of Lakewood, a special town that has been an extraordinary place to live here in golus. We are very fortunate. I wish I could live in Eretz Yisroel – like all Yidden should wish – but as long as I am forced to live in chutz la’aretz, I consider myself lucky to live in a city of Torah, a city of achdus, a city of unique character.

I have one problem: the new yellow recycling receptacles.

You see, Lakewood Township recently switched to a single stream process for recyclables. In plain terms, single stream collection means that a homeowner can put all aluminum cans, plastic bottles, steel cans, newsprint, cardboard and mixed paper into the same container for recycling.

To implement this new system, the Township has been collecting the old blue containers, which were used just for bottles and cans, and have been distributing new 95-gallon, single stream recycling bins.

The color of the bins? A bright – and yes, ugly – yellow.

My question: Who decided that bright yellow is the way to go? The blue containers weren’t gorgeous, but at least they blended into the landscape. These yellow receptacles are an absolute eyesore. They are ugly, and they’ve turned a beautiful town into an ugly place.

It sounds crazy. I know. How, you ask, can some silly receptacles ruin the look of a town? Good question. Just come down here to Lakewood and have a look for yourself. Drive up and down the streets and you’ll immediately spot these hideously looking recycling garbage cans, whose color is so outlandish that it is hard not to see them.

So once again, whose idea was it to choose yellow? The regular garbage receptacles are green, so obviously green couldn’t be used. Was blue unavailable?

The response might be that the Township or the Public Works Department wants the receptacles to be easily identifiable for the sanitation workers picking up the recyclables. Fine. I understand that. But why a bright, blinding yellow? Did the other colors go on vacation?

This is driving me nuts.

When you come to Lakewood, be sure to be wearing your sunglasses. You don’t want to be blinded by the glare and shine of the gruesome and grotesque yellow receptacles we’ve been given.

Going Through a Hard Time

Lakewood, NJ

I hope some of you laughed out loud like I did, because this was actually posted on Matzav.com as a serious post. I would have totally thought it to be satire.

• hannah May 17, 2010, 6:46 AM

oyyy.. well it could be worse, they could be forced to buy them. at least there free

• Sergeant J May 17, 2010, 7:04 AM

It sounds simpler than three bins, or two plus several for recycling. But then again, my three bins are grey, green and blue, and with lots of grass, hedges ,and a dirt road, they fit in well. Of course, most Lakewood types wouldn’t want to live in my town….

• It Makes Sense May 17, 2010, 9:14 AM

WOW. I wish I had your problem! I’ll be happy to trade you for all of mine!

• A. Nuran May 17, 2010, 9:59 AM

Oh, the horror. For one day a week there will be yellow bins out on the sidewalk.

• Anonymous May 17, 2010, 11:02 PM

They are probably there all week because people are too busy learning to move them back. Notice how he doesn’t say come on a tuesday or Monday.

• Chaim ben Yehuda Ze'ev May 17, 2010, 10:21 AM

The choice of yellow as the color for the new recycling bins is a little strange – and potentially dangerous. Yellow is the internationally recognized hue for clinical waste containers.

• anonymous May 17, 2010, 10:31 PM

Yellow is also the color of messianic chabad.

• D May 17, 2010, 11:10 AM

At least they weren’t red. Red is the color of sin and impurity….chas veshalom people ever wear it, let alone have to see it all the time on the holy streets of Lakewood.

• Sh'lomo' May 17, 2010, 1:11 PM

Because they’re Jews!! They can’t force them to wear a yellow ribbon (traditionally the color of Jewish degradation) so they force yellow garbage cans upon them!

• "Rabbi No" May 18, 2010, 2:52 PM

Bright Yellow clashes with all the Black Hats and penguin costumes.

• SF2K1 May 20, 2010, 10:42 AM

Wow I hope this is really a joke post and not just some really pointless whining. Why would heshy even post such a thing? File your complaint with the company and get over it.

• to heshy! May 20, 2010, 11:50 PM

Hey you noticed Lakewood! yeah we’ve got a lot of random weird news here.

• zalman May 21, 2010, 8:14 AM

at least there aren’t moshiach signs on them. wait that would be fun, would love to see those litvishers rioting.