25 Jewish Blogs you should read daily

I get asked pretty frequently to recommend blogs for people to read or which blogs I choose to read. Within the Jewish Blogging World AKA Jewish Blogsphere, there are thousands of blogs, many of them worthwhile reads. Unfortunately time does not allow for daily reads. I have several daily reads and all of them lie within the following list. I was originally going to do a guide to the Jewish Blogsphere, the task proved too great, then I figured I should just make a post more devoted to the blogs and news sites that I read to stay up on my Jewish current events.

Every one of the blogs featured in this list is of importance to someone following what’s happening in the Jewish world – most of these sites are not personal blogs, and generally speaking I don’t read many personal blogs, save for a few of the shidduch blogs for ideas and the latest trends.I do plan on doing several guides to Jewish blogs, split up by categories, in the near future. For now, the following list is what I think Jewish bloggers trying to stay on their game should try to read frequently.

This list is not in any particular order and reflects what I think is important:

Jewlicious: Supporting Israel through cool arty and video stuff – they also do some kick ass festivals

Hirhurim: Brilliant Torah, Jewish philosophy and current events. Don’t be fooled by the terrible design!

Jewschool: Sure they didn’t let me write for them because I offended some women Rabbis, but that doesn’t negate the fact it’s a good and important read.

Dov Bear: Orthodoxy and liberalism usually don’t mix, Dov Bear makes an exception.

What War Zone?: Finally someone that thinks the middle east is funny!

Jew and the Carrot: Jewish site devoted to food and environment amongst other randomness.

Bintel Blog: The Forward Blog – do I really need to tell you why Jews should read the Forvetz?

Tablet: Your one stop shop for Jewish arts and culture.

The Jewish Channel: Imagine if you could get your Jewish news for the week in a professionally filmed news broadcast.

Mixed Multitudes: The blog of My Jewish Learning, don ‘t let Jewish and learning scare you away, they aren’t trying to get you to drink the punch.

Failed Messiah: One of the few Jewish Bloggers that made it – a real investigative journalist that pisses orthodox Jews off because he’s usually right, and how many Jewish bloggers can boast that they break stories to major news outlets.

eJewish Philanthropy: Anyone who runs a non-profit or works in the world of non-profits must read this blog.

The Kvetcher: Kvetching about orthodoxy and other matters in a well written and interesting format.

Emes Ve-Emunah: Rabbi Harry Maryles on orthodox Jewish thought and philosophy.

Wolfish Musings: The absurdities of orthodoxy and more – written by someone who is orthodox.

Cross Currents: Orthodox Jewish Rabbis and writers on today’s issues – place a finger on the pulse of orthodoxy.

The Muquata: Being a right wing pro-Israel blog can be fun too

News sites I glance at frequently:

The Jewish Star: one of the only really good religious newspapers

JTA: the only Jewish news wire

The Forward

The Jewish Week

Vos Iz Neias: I check this site the most by far, read the comments, they will make you cringe.

Non Jewish daily reads:

Mashable: Where the social media world gets its news

Gray Wolf: SEO, blogging and wordpress discussion

Pro Blogger: all bloggers should read this blog

• Zorah June 19, 2014, 2:52 PM

Also check out http://www.baalshemtov.com! It has great resources on Chassidic Judaism!

• RonIsaiah June 22, 2014, 10:48 AM

SUPERFUNKBOX is the top rated indie band out of Jerusalem. Check out the profile and find all the songs and video free of charge http://www.reverbnation.com/superfunkbox

• Shani l. September 9, 2014, 6:47 AM

In one of Rav Shlomo Brevda’s zt”l Droshes that he pointed out, that as much as we admire the men who learn Torah (we surely all do), we should admire their spouses and any spouse taking care of the home even more.

The men feel the tremendous pleasure of Toiling in Torah. Working on a difficult piece an eventually seeing even a drop of light can be a tremendous feeling of ecstasy.

However, what satisfaction do the women feel? She works hard day and night and then the kids get hurt and she* has to calm them, clean them, make supper, clean the house, laundry, Pesach clean too…….

A woman who encourages their spouses to go and learn Torah while they take care of the home will get the fullest reward of learning Torah on the highest level in the world to come!

Rav Brevda zt”l concluded this point by assuring that he has a very good source for this. He recalled that he heard it from Rav Aharon Kotler,z.t.l. 65 years ago (1949) the Rosh Hayeshivah and founder of the Lakewood Yeshiva the following.

Rav Aharon said that men get a Sippuk-sense of fulfillment from learning Torah. What do the women get? We sometimes “Batul”-waste our time in middle of learning-but women are constantly busy, non stop, they dont have Bain Hazmanim to wake up late like some men do etc.

Rav Aharon zt”l stressed that the women will share in the reward for our learning Torah but they wont share in any part of our Bitul Torah.

Rav Brevda recalls that some of the “Yunger-Leit”-members of the Kolel in Lakewood where surprised and ask Rav Aharon for clarification, “Are you saying that my wife will get more out of my own Torah learning than I will?

Rav Aharon answered emphatically, “Yah!! Gleib Mir Vos Ich Zog!!-Yes!!! Believe me what I say!! Women are sacrificing more than men, especially in our generation. They are fully assured that they will be rewarded in full. We can never be sure if we have fully fulfilled our Tachlis in this world.

• Stanley Workman February 19, 2015, 10:14 AM

Check out the Cleveland artist being hailed as the daVinci of this, the digital age, Marc Breed. Creator of the psychedelic peace symbol, male exotic dance pioneer, filmmaker to two of the highest grossing adult films of all-time, civil and first amendment rights advocate, and if that weren’t enough, he readily admits to having escaped from one of America’s most secure prisons (his golem remains in the prisons archive).And to boot, he has a testedI.Q. Of 152. And most amazingly, a former Satmir Hassid.

• David Bachman April 12, 2016, 11:30 AM

Wow, thanks for the post. Some of those blog’s are already in my bookmarks.

• Ner Art November 20, 2017, 10:36 AM

If you’re looking for a daily short dose.. of “Little Known Facts”, based on Torah, Midrash and Talmudic teachings, please check out: https://www.igeretyad.com/

• renaud sarda September 11, 2018, 5:51 PM

please my blog, thank you

• renaud sarda September 11, 2018, 5:51 PM

please add my blog, thank you