Merry Purim To All

I don’t know where this picture came from, but it’s doing the email rounds. If anyone has any background on who took it, pass the word to me and I’ll give due attribution (and either a high five or an air-high five, depending who you are). It reminds me of my yeshiva, which was in a tiny Sephardic synagogue in Jerusalem. One day they bought a reel of red-and-green plastic lights attached by green wire. They strung it around the ark, not realizing at all that they were meant to be hung on a Christmas tree.

santa claus in meah shearim on purim

Crossposted from MyJewishLearning, of course

• IsraeliMom February 28, 2010, 3:00 PM

Awesome image! So, you figure they don’t know what it means and just bought a bunch of pretty red costumes on a sale?

• Jason February 28, 2010, 3:48 PM

This pic has been flying around the net for over 2 years.

• Chris_B February 28, 2010, 5:52 PM

Saturday evening after the megillah reading some Israeli girls were stringing up what was obviously Christmas tinsel at Chabad. I didnt say nothin, whats the point?

• Drew Mazanec February 28, 2010, 8:17 PM

One guy at our Modern Orthodox shul in Cleveland dressed as Santa Claus.

I guess there’s plenty of people who have the beard for it. Although I think Gandalf or Dumbledore could also work.

• Mark February 28, 2010, 8:56 PM

The picture is supposed to have been taken in Meah Shearim in Yerushalaim.

We use a small string of Xmas lights in our sukkah each year.

• YY February 28, 2010, 11:02 PM

I don’t see what the big deal is. People dress up like Arab sheiks and such on Purim, why not Santa Claus? I really doubt this guy didn’t know what the costumes meant. Though I guess if it were really Mea Shearim, it’s possible.

• Drew Mazanec February 28, 2010, 11:13 PM

So true. I kept joking that I would dress up as a Palestinian. Probably a wise decision not to follow up on it.

• Constant Cynic March 1, 2010, 5:23 PM

Is it tznius that the Mom has a baby bump showing? Shouldn’t she be required to stay indoors or wear baggy clothing? This is in Meah She’arim of all places!

• metalia March 1, 2010, 9:26 PM

Oh, this is just fantastic.

• Maya Katz March 1, 2010, 9:50 PM

The joke is not on the guy in the picure; the guy in the picture was MAKING the joke.

• mmp April 13, 2010, 6:16 PM

is very funny….but he looks like breslev chassid….in russia santa is called father new year and its a national holiday.