Group wants colored shirts banned: Says they are women’s clothing

colored shirtsFor some time it has been known that anyone caught wearing a colored shirt in religious communities around the world was likely to be ostracized by the community. Shidduchim, schooling, seminary, even real estate value can all be affected by shirt color. In many communities children as young as 5 have been kicked out of school for having color on their shirts. Shidduchim and marriages have been broken because of old pictures of parents or family wearing colored shirts. A group calling themselves Beged Isha Brigade has begun distributing leaflets containing all of the laws broken when a man wears a colored shirt.

Shragga Feivel Frummervitz the leader of the group has told us that “Rabbis have not exerted enough control over the men in the community when it comes to modesty. Women have been put in their place with laws against wearing red, denim, swinging their arms or leaving their house at night – but men have been free from any such laws and they have become lax in their service to God. We have seen men wearing colored shirts and even polo shirts during the week – thank God we have not degenerated into Sodom like sinning and no one has begun to wear these disgusting colors on shabbos kodesh, but we believe its headed that way.”

These masters of modesty as the Beged Isha Briagde like to call themselves have cited many sources proving that colored shirts are for women only, thereby making them assur for men to wear. Even on Lag Baomer, a traditional time for frum men to become lax in dress in to prepare for the one day sanctioned exercise a year, wearing color is assur. The only day in which the white shirts can be changed for women’s clothing is Purim, in which men and women are allowed to dress differently, then their maker had decided.

Just look at the Modern Orthodox, as they call themselves – Shragga Feivel says in disgust, they have degenerated so low, first it was Israel and low mechitzas and now they are practically cross dressing. If there was a bais din, we would seek the death penalty for such behavior.

Although there have been murmurs of opposing sides, the Shadchanim agree with this White Shirt Posse and have made it very clear that those who publicly oppose the Beged Isha Brigade will not get shidduchim for their children.

Rabbi Yehoshua Freedman who publicly opposes the group doesn’t seem too happy, he told us that people have been controlled by the lack of good shidduchim for years and this will only make things worse.

When we tried to ask the Rav what exactly a good shidduch was, he said he couldn’t actually say. He mumbled something about midos and family, and then turned his attention to the pile of burning blue shirts and protestors.

• mamzer talmid chochom November 14, 2009, 9:27 PM

You actually had me going for a while.

• Chometz Dick November 14, 2009, 10:14 PM

When the other bochrim wear colorful shirts in shul I get so horny, and they shouldn’t be allowed to tease me like that. If they weren’t crossdressing that way, I would never be turned on by men.

• s(b.) November 14, 2009, 10:36 PM

cute.

• Leead November 14, 2009, 10:41 PM

judaism with a muslim fundamentalist twist…quite entertaining

• Mushkie November 14, 2009, 11:56 PM

the funniest is the ads on the side – “Green message t-shirts
    Change the world one shirt at a time. Buy fair trade and organic. “.

• Yerachmiel Lopin November 15, 2009, 12:29 AM

Dear Heshy,

Could you give me some advice. I have a photograph of my late grandfather, olav hasholom, wearing a blue shirt. I his defense I would add, that it was a light shade of blue. Still! My question is how to deal with this. Should I tear it up. Should I keep it but hide it. Or should I have it photoshopped so it looks white. I am not concerned about the deception since in such matters I assume one is allowed to shade the truth. However, my siblings, lo aleinu, are modern orthodox Jews in Teaneck, and I am pretty sure I can not get them to go along with my approach. I don’t even blame them. How can they know better when their rabbi wears such shirts. Until now I have visited them as long as they agreed to provide glatt food with a seal and disposable place settings. Do you think I should stop visting them?

Thanking you in advance for torah infused advice.

Sincerely,

Yerachmiel Lopin, blogger, frumfollies

PS- In Lakewood is there a minimum denier for shirts just as there is for stockings?

• Moshe November 15, 2009, 10:33 AM

Let’s hope 1 year BTs aren’t reading this…

• Heshy Fried November 15, 2009, 1:25 PM

I got two messages on Facebook asking me if this was real

• FarFrumIt November 15, 2009, 11:24 AM

In fact, when I asked Frummervitz about the fact that women are only halachically allowed to dress completely in black, he told me i shouldn’t even be looking at women and that in fact the reason why women have to dress in black is because otherwise they would be too womanly which would be totally assur if men would happen to see them.

• Avrumy November 16, 2009, 2:27 PM

I am not mekabel.

• Mamzer talmid chochom November 15, 2009, 11:49 AM

The greatest event after the coming of moshiach will be when my high school menahel takes on the kohen gadol about his clothing.

• musicluver November 15, 2009, 2:36 PM

Interesting. Notice that all of the Kohanim wore only white EXCEPT the Kohel Gadol who wore the colorfully decorated Choshen Mishpat.

• brandon November 16, 2009, 8:17 PM

i guess the prophet Yosef was a pretty big sinner, what with that coat and all…

• Anonymous November 16, 2009, 9:23 PM

You guys are nuts

• Yerachmiel Lopin November 16, 2009, 9:41 PM

Brandon said : Yosef was a pretty big sinner, what with that coat and all…

Brandon, Impossible. Yaacov Avinu would not have given his something ossur.
    How do you know the stripes weren’t white on white? They are only ossur m’dirabanan and therefore were OK in Yosef’s time.

You can not be careful enough on these things as we know from the Lakewood ban http://wp.me/pFbfD-2Q

• Rishona November 17, 2009, 11:48 AM

DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince! 😀

• Anonymous November 18, 2009, 4:07 AM

ROFL!!!!!

• aztecqueen2000 November 18, 2009, 2:37 PM

Don’t get me started on Yaacov. He kissed his wife when she was only his first cousin–and then turned around and married her sister first.
    What I’d STILL like to know is–if the Torah wasn’t given in Yaacov’s time, how did he know to say Shema when he was reunited with his son? And what the h–l were Shem and Eber studying in their yeshiva?

• Yerachmiel Lopin November 18, 2009, 4:47 PM

Shem and Ever gave us the principle of learning forever. I want to know who were the wealthy in-laws?

• jimmy37 November 18, 2009, 7:58 PM

Aren’t you a bit early for a Purim shpiel?

• Yerachmiel Lopin November 18, 2009, 8:08 PM

Replying to jimmy37 who asks: Aren’t you a bit early for a Purim shpiel?

ANSWER: The gadolim of our generation are living seforim. By looking at them we learn how to behave. So I think Purim all year is the new chumrah.

• Lingerie November 24, 2009, 5:37 PM

As divas, we must always dress to impress and dress for success. To stay trendy and cool at work on these hot summer days, opt out on the typical 3-piece suit and go for something with a little less fabric. Vests are a “must have” this season and can coordinate with virtually anything. For work pair a vest with a classic white button up shirt and pencil skirt. If you must wear a blazer to work, look for styles with one-button waist closures and narrow lapels made of all-season fabrics like rayon tweeds and light blends. Stay away from the typical black this season and go for perhaps chocolate or khaki this season. Why not be daring and go for white?

• Moish the spacedout BT January 24, 2012, 8:03 PM

If ” ktonet paasim” multicolored tallesim are sold widely in seforim stores with an OK from R. Wosner than why the ukh-und-vey about wearing them?