Video of me Lulav and Etrog shopping in Crown Heights

Matthue Roth of My Jewish Learning asked me if I would go lulav and esrog shopping in Crown Heights so they could make a fun video showing what it entails. It allowed me to seriously mess with some people, and check out the babes in CH.

• MUSHKIE October 2, 2009, 9:54 AM

Sorry, no woman in CH would even take a look at you with that funny cap on that long hair. Look all you want, like you did with the esrogim, but we’re not interested. How do you manage tefilin with all that hair?

• Heshy Fried October 2, 2009, 9:57 AM

I’m just looking, its all just fun and games

• the real albany October 5, 2009, 12:28 AM

get a haircut, hippie!

• Yochanan October 2, 2009, 11:45 AM

You look like you’re about to take a huge bong hit. 🙂

• Homeschool Mom October 2, 2009, 11:56 AM

Obviously I don’t know what I’m talking about, but it looks like that first guy just told you he didn’t speak English so he wouldn’t have to have a conversation.

• Phil October 2, 2009, 12:34 PM

Didn’t see too many babes on the clip, did you scare them all off?

• Raizy in the Parsha October 2, 2009, 1:00 PM

You can look all you want, but sorry no heimishe girl would been seen with someone that looks like you on that video. Only in Crown Hts would the men sdelling esrogim deal with someone that looks like a homeless goy. You got to give the Lubavs credit for that.

• Sergeant J October 5, 2009, 3:33 AM

Really, is making fun of this blog a new way to get a shidduch? If not, why do you think anyone here cares if you are ‘in the Parsha?”
      Just wondering…

• Raizy in the Parsha October 5, 2009, 5:17 PM

BECAUSE I AM AND I WOULD NEVER DATE ANYONE THAT LOOKED THAT THIS HESHY

• matt October 6, 2009, 11:06 AM

Wait a second! Are people JUDGING PROSPECTIVE SHIDDUCHIM based on looks alone?

I thought only guys did that….

• Sergeant J October 6, 2009, 12:23 PM

I see… so basically… dissing this blog IS a way to find a shidduch in your neck of the woods.. Good luck, kid, good luck..

• Mordecai October 2, 2009, 3:29 PM

Heshy, thanks for the great video it was both funny and informative. However I think it does bring to light this dynamic of the Sukkes underground. Its rather sad that prices for these esrogim are so high! Understandibly, some may want to beautify the mitzvot. However, is anything really gained by shaking a larger lulav? What does halakha say? I think this video uncovers some small form of exploitation. Any thoughts?

• Levi October 2, 2009, 3:41 PM

the farmers charge over 15 euros a piece. add freight, duties, and other expenses, and an average of 60 dollars a piece is not unreasonable.

Citrons are a labor intensive crop, and the Jews harvest them before they reach full size, which is 5 or 6 times the weight you see. There are few ungrafted orchards in Calabria and the farmers know that they have a monopoly. They mostly sell by pre-season contract (Keller is one of the few exceptional buyers in this regard) They also charge a fee for the escorting laborer, as the Jews are accustomed to browse the orchards and harvest selectively.

• lisanoor October 2, 2009, 4:56 PM

Hilarious!!!

• Moshe October 4, 2009, 6:16 PM

of course they’d come from Israel to sell them. Arbaat haminim cost a fraction here of what they charge for them in America (even more so if you buy them on the last day when everyone gets desperate to sell their lulav’s before they become merely expensive schach).
    It’s big business here as well but in the US it seems that the “hidur mitzvah” is less about paying more for better quality as being assured you’re getting beter quality on the basis of your having paid more. Not that Levi’s point above isn’t well taken but it’s still a law of supply and demand in the end. American Jews have money, Israeli Jews don’t (at least not like American Jews do) so Americans are expected to pay more for the same item because the sellers know they’ll pay it.

• dovid October 4, 2009, 9:22 PM

hey hesh nice to see in the heights. why are some of the comments offensive. why cant people be nice and just respect the fact that frum people come in different shapes and sizes ect.

• joe October 4, 2009, 11:40 PM

will u broadcasting live from simchas beis

• Look Here! October 5, 2009, 3:27 PM
  • Raizy's sister October 5, 2009, 10:12 PM

She finds you interesting, but that bummy lookturns her off

• bbbbbbbbbbbooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg October 5, 2009, 11:54 PM

…and not surprized.

i actually had hope for this post…

• Frumlibertarian October 6, 2009, 8:59 AM

That Lubavitch guy, looks way to, into that esrog!!

• lubovman October 6, 2009, 12:04 PM

I know Raizy – she’s hot

• Sergeant J October 6, 2009, 12:26 PM

That’s great, you should date her, if her looks are what you find most important..

• Sergey Kadinsky October 6, 2009, 8:27 PM

I usually go to a rabbi down the block at Eastern Pkwy and Brooklyn Ave, who sells it from his home. I’m sure for some folks in Crown Hts., the more yellow the esrog, the better it matches with their flag pins.

• etrog March 20, 2011, 9:19 AM

great video… nice tour of crown heights’ etrog market.

• etrog March 20, 2011, 9:21 AM

… nice tour of crown heights’ etrog market.