I went on a shidduch and he paid with food stamps

foodstampsI was sitting at a table chatting with some lovely young ladies on Sunday morning at the Isabella Freedman center in Connecticut, this one girl asked me if it was normal for people to pay with food stamps on a date – because she recently went out with a guy who did so. I guess this may be codeword for “damn we’re not going to prime grill.

Nope, never heard of that one I told her.

But would you mind if I wrote about it?

She said maybe now he can have some closure because she never really explained why he didn’t get a third date.

I don’t know about her, but this guy sounds like a keeper, any man ballsy enough to whip out his food stamps to pay for a date seems like he wont be full of shit when it comes to those types of things people tend to lie about – like whether or not they have a TV in their home, or have eaten non-cholov yisroel while on vacation somewhere.

Its also way better than pulling that “holy crap I left my wallet at home” trick…

• MAVEN August 3, 2009, 10:03 PM

Impossible. The only ones who can use Food Stamps in a restaurant are the elderly, the homeless and the disabled. There are few establishments that participate and a special ID card is needed.

Unless the date consisted of buying a barbecued chicken and cholunt at a grocers takeout dept. the women was pulling your leg.

• FrumCurious August 3, 2009, 10:16 PM

Unless they went to some place like sheetz/wawa or something like that, but then again none of the food there i kosher so…hmm..

• Schwartzie August 3, 2009, 10:48 PM

He’s an idiot. Why didn’t he sell his food stamps outside the Pathmark at a discount, and then pay for the dinner with the cash he made? He’s obviously a shaigetz, if you ask me.

• LonelyMan August 4, 2009, 12:14 AM

Whipping out food stamps for a date? I don’t see the problem, fact is that the man is a real American hero. He should definitely play baseball: He would always walk because he has four balls.

• s(b.) August 4, 2009, 12:28 AM

If that’s not keeping it real, I don’t know what is.

• dudie August 4, 2009, 12:44 AM

he musthave been chasidish..but you cant buy a babka or rugelach with fs..

• Bsamim Smoker August 4, 2009, 4:38 AM

What restruarant excepts foods stamps.Don’t tell me my hard earned tax dollars are going to someone on a date!

• Bsamim Smoker August 4, 2009, 4:40 AM

Oh by the way Heshy that picture is a bit innacurate.Nowdays they just give you a food stamps debit card,not actual bills, I know cause Ive used the program in the past….

• Sergeant J August 4, 2009, 7:04 AM

There are kosher snack cakes and (I think) Coffee at both Sheetz and Wawa.. Not to mention the iced tea at Turkey Hill:-).. But frankly, who dates at those sort of places anyway? If you do, you should not care about what payment method is used..
    Maybe the Girl was one who never saw somsone pay without AMEX or a platinum card, and was confused by cash?

• SF2K1 August 4, 2009, 8:00 AM

It’s a new attempt to impress the frum world:

“Look how frum I am, I’m so opposed to working, I even use food stamps when I’m on a shiddiuch date.”

• Heshy Fried August 4, 2009, 8:19 AM

SFK- that is brilliant

• TikunOlam August 4, 2009, 8:46 AM

Can someone set me up with this guy? He sounds so sexy!

• Bsamim Smoker August 4, 2009, 10:46 AM

I get it now.This guy was trying to show off he learns in kollel, that’s why he used food stamps.
    TikunOlam
    Why would you want to marry a guy that uses food stamps?If he can’t afford to buy food, fat chance he can afford to get married have kids and pay tuition!

• TikunOlam August 4, 2009, 10:56 AM

Bsamim,
    LOL. Being totally sarcastic.

I am already married. I already have children. I already pay over 30K per year in tuition bills to a non-OJ school. And I have a doctoral degree so even if my husband couldn’t pay for the tuition (which fortunately having a graduate degree and a good job he can – kollel not being so much our thing), I could very well do it on my own.

Though, when I met my husband, I must say, he was dirt poor. I didn’t marry him for any money. But food stamps would have definitely been a mood killer.

• kosherbride August 4, 2009, 11:24 AM

If a guy whipped out food stamps while I was on a date with him, I would whip out my wallet and pay the cash. If he clearly does not have any money then why should he be paying for the date? And if he does have money then maybe he’d be embarrassed enough to stop ripping off the state.

• A. Nuran August 4, 2009, 10:16 PM

As they say in Hawaii “No mo’ class.”

Kosherbride, most men would consider that an enormous kick in the balls. But I’m guessing that’s why you’d do it. Nice one.

• Avrumy August 5, 2009, 1:28 PM

I think it’s great you were at Isabella Friedman. It is such a nice place, good kosher food, rustic setting. Open to all types of Jews.