On the passing of my friend Ronen Levi Yitzchak Segal

ronen-and-me
I received an email a few months back from this fan of mine who wanted to shoot some videos with me, we chatted on the phone for some time shooting the shit and realized we had met each other at the Chabad house at University of Albany. I agreed to come hang out in the city with this fan and shoot some videos.

Ronen Levi Yitzchak Segal AKA Ronennachman770 passed away the other day and I didn’t realize until today that he posted 7 videos with me in them, some of which are very funny and he got me in an all rant about the snacking industry. I just felt it right to post something of a tribute to him and although I didn’t watch much of his videos – we shared a lot of fans, his videos were like serious versions of mine explaining different concepts in Judaism.

Anyway Ronen will be missed by many and although we didn’t hang out many times, I really liked him and will miss him dearly. May his neshama be blessed and have an aliyah.

Here’s one of his 249 videos available on You tube:

• Allison April 29, 2009, 1:11 AM

I just saw this video of his http://tinyurl.com/ddezgh where he talks about why people die even if it seems like it’s before their time.

May Ronen’s words continue to inspire even though his soul has left this world and may his memory be a blessing.

• ipitythefoo April 29, 2009, 2:26 AM

I never met him, nor did we share any mutual friends. However, I actually did watch many of his videos – I found him to be both smart and engaging. He had a very special neshama – and it is clear to me that Hashem invented the net so that a light like his can shine on after his passing. What a loss for all Yiddishkeit. Every time a Jew learns from those videos, his neshama should soar higher and higher.

• Shmuel April 29, 2009, 4:34 AM

The world has lost a genuine light from HaShem. I can’t even begin to express my feelings. I’m crushed. I don’t have a mentor, but Reb Ronen, even though he was younger, is an example of the kind of Jew that I long to be. I’m crushed.

• The Atheist Jew April 29, 2009, 6:36 AM

Very sad news. I had a Youtube video and email exchange with him. I found him caring and sincere, but obviously we disagreed on main issues.

• shevers April 29, 2009, 8:31 AM

Oy, I knew of him way before his youtube fame. (He used to think a friend of mine was the messiah).

How did you find out he passed away?

• Chana April 29, 2009, 8:54 AM

I’m devestated. What did he die from?

• The Atheist Jew April 29, 2009, 9:07 AM

Somebody left a message on my blog.

• Frum Satire April 29, 2009, 10:51 AM

A bunch of people sent me the link to the funeral which was posted on Shmais.com

• Jacob October 16, 2009, 12:11 AM

can you post his funeral adress ? I am sure Ronnan would be very glad to see his fans there and it would strengthen his family.

• Ken Lane April 29, 2009, 11:50 AM

His videos were very well put together and I really enjoyed hearing his perspective of an assortment of subjects. May HaShem move through his memory and videos to further enlighten the world.

• cma April 29, 2009, 1:41 PM

oy i cant believe that is incerdibly sad
    im sure he was a very special person

• Hornball April 29, 2009, 2:45 PM

What did he die from? BDE

• Shira April 29, 2009, 10:47 PM

Everyone keeps asking, “what happened to him? How did he die?” answers. I`m in complete shock. I watched most of his videos and even chatted with him a bit online. He was such an awesome person. I would really like to know how he died.

• Frum Satire April 29, 2009, 11:12 PM

Shira – why does it make a difference how he died, people have been asking me all day – would it really help you to know his issues or problems? Would it help anyone to know if it was drugs or suicide or depression? I highly doubt it.

• Dolly October 12, 2009, 1:13 AM

Yes will help to KNOW , why!!!!!!!!! because he would have said it to everyone!!!! & by your remark you are impliying he cpuld have died for drugs, and he does not deserve that. in kabbalah matters the cause of death is important, for the prayer for the soul,

• offthederech April 30, 2009, 1:32 AM

Very sad.

• chana April 30, 2009, 9:10 AM

Yes, it would help if we know why he died!!!! It helps us try to make sense of such a sensless world! Now, why the heck is that tzadik dead???

• Jack October 16, 2009, 12:23 AM

Chana, we were not there and the only person that knows why he passed away is G-D. He is a very big Zadik, He ran away from respect and believe me all those videos were not to gain anything , he really loved helping others and had qualities that many people didn’t understand. To know a Zadik you need to connect with them, if you watch his videos i am sure you will connect and see how real he was, he was open about everything he did in closed doors to the whole world. May G-D Bless him.

• Mark April 30, 2009, 9:42 AM

why does it make a difference how he died

Because when it isn’t mentioned, and shrouded in mystery, everyone (okay, almost everyone) begins to imagine all sorts of horrible things. For example, things like before he became BT, he was gay or very promiscuous and contracted AIDS, or he couldn’t take it anymore and committed suicide, or had some dread disease but didn’t want to share that fact with anyone, or any other horrible thing that could cross ones mind.

That’s why most obituaries in the papers mention the cause of death, and when they don’t speculation begins.

• Frum Satire April 30, 2009, 11:23 AM

Lets just say he had issues

• Jacob October 16, 2009, 12:15 AM

you are a peace of Crap for saying this… I really don’t wish anything bad on you but you need to take things back ….. He was a warior, you are a comedian and chase respect, He never wanted respect. Big difference between you two buddy.. If you got to 5% of who he was then i am sure you would not say these things…. Long way my freind.

• Alberto April 30, 2009, 11:45 AM

I am very saddened by this, and although I didn’t know him personally I subscribed to his channel online. I am a Noahide and he helped me immensely with all my questions. Rest in peace Ronen.

• s(b.) April 30, 2009, 1:22 PM

Much strength and love to those who miss him; he mentioned his second daughter’s birth, in the video you posted. Two girls (at least) with no earthly abba is more important than how he died, imo. BDE. Thanks for posting the link to his video. May he find peace from anything that gave him unrest on earth.

• Aviva J. April 30, 2009, 1:33 PM

Look, people, when someone dies young and the cause is not mentioned, that is a decision on the part of the family. I also asked Heshy, but I can respect the answer he gave here.

Ronen seemed sweet and gentle, and I hope he is only feeling peace now. My heart breaks for his children and ex-wife.

Please be careful in your comments, everyone. Having lost a stepdaughter myself, family members will often Google their loved ones name and see what was written about them. So if you post anything, keep the family in mind as you do it. Thanks again for posting this, Heshy.

• Shiva April 30, 2009, 2:53 PM

Ronen’s Shiva
    Shiva will be at 19 Elmwood Drive, Livingston, NJ 07039 from tomorrow through Monday.

• Mark April 30, 2009, 3:41 PM

My heart breaks for his children and ex-wife.

Don’t you mean children and widow?

• Shevers April 30, 2009, 4:49 PM

No. Ex-wife. He even said in one of his videos that he’s divorced.

• Mark April 30, 2009, 5:06 PM

Oh, I didn’t know that and I didn’t watch all the videos only some of them. Poor kids.

• InExile April 30, 2009, 5:44 PM

Shalom- We are all so saddened of the news of dear Ronen Levi Yitzchak Segal’s passing, his memories will serve as a blessing to us all. Our heart felt prayers & well wishes go out to all of his family.
    Does anyone have any information as to a Trust Fund for his 2 young daughters? My next question is not, anymore, wondering what happened that dear Ronen passed, although this is part of human nature to ask this question but rather may dear Ronen’s family know that they are surrounded by people from all over the world who extend them love & support; when they are ready they may, or may not, let us know what happened, we honor & respect this. Our hearts & prayers go out also to all of dear Ronen’s friends as well. May we all continue to be as lights in this world, to love one another with many tender mercies.
    May Hashem, baruch Hu, the Hope of Yisro’el & the world, fill each of you with much heavenly shalom & many simchas. May you be well as we beseech you to guard your mitzvohs & your health; let us all draw closer together to be echad as the day of rebbe MH’M draws nigh. May G-d bless you in all that you do. kol tov, InExile

• Ken Lane April 30, 2009, 5:49 PM

Lior Segal, Ronen’s brother, will be establishing a trust for the benefit of Ronen’s two daughters, Esther and Gitel Tovah. If interested please let him know at leesegal@hotmail.com and when the details are final, he will respond to you.

• Lior Segal May 1, 2009, 8:01 AM

Ronen was a beloved son, grandson, father, brother, cousin, nephew, uncle. He left behind two beautiful girls. There is a trust set up for their benefit. The Ronen Segal Memorial Trust has been set up. Checks can be sent to: Ronen Segal Memorial Trust, C/O Segal & Schuh Law Group, 13575 58th Street N., Clearwater, FL 33760. There will be a paypal setup as well within a week. Ronen’s family thanks all of you for your well wishes and kind words.

• Tabby May 1, 2009, 5:50 PM

Some of us want to know, need to know what happened to this good man because we were witness to his deterioration and tried to rally people to help him.
    At certain points in time, he was clearly tortured and it pains me to know that he may have lived this way until the end of his life.
    Some of us want to know, NEED to know what happened to this good man because we cared for him and are afraid he slipped away from us still the tortured man he seemed to be.

• Steve May 2, 2009, 11:10 PM

He was an inspiration to Jews and us gentiles alike,

• m00kie May 2, 2009, 11:21 PM

its tragic…

• Ann May 3, 2009, 1:27 AM

This makes me so sad, he was so kind to converts and BTs

🙁 🙁 🙁

• Amanda May 5, 2009, 3:24 PM

Baruch Dayan Ha Emet – yes, I agree that
    some of us feel like we MUST know the
    cause of death – closure sort of …?

• AS May 6, 2009, 10:50 PM

Can someone post Ronen’s funeral? I just found out tonight. I knew him for years and was very good friends with him. He was truly a magnificent person.

• elise May 7, 2009, 9:45 AM

ronen was an amazing light unto this earth. He will be missed greatly. Listen to his teachings, and may we learn from them. It is such a huge loss to all. I am grateful to have known him, and been his friend. Lets all rally to help his daughters, who are so very young, and give even a little to help their lives be better….. You can send money to his brother Lior Segal… address is above….. You will be missed greatly….. e

• Israel May 11, 2009, 5:21 PM

the amount of loshen hara on these comments is scary. No, you don’t have a right to know what he died from, no, it isn’t your business. No, his family doesn’t have to read that some of you saw his deterioration or whatever. No, those of us who never knew him don’t need to know that he was divorced or any more. Stop.

He’s passed away. Hashem had a reason why, at this time, he was taken. Can’t you just leave it at baruch Dayan Emet?

• Jack October 16, 2009, 12:31 AM

May Hashem Bless you.

• LP May 11, 2009, 5:57 PM

BDE, so sorry to hear about the passing of Ronen. As a pre convert, I enjoyed watching his Youtube videos.

My heart goes out to his family & his lil girls.

• Shevers May 11, 2009, 5:59 PM

How is it loshon hora to clarify that he was divorced when he said it himsaelf?

• s(b.) May 11, 2009, 8:09 PM

Shevers, it’s not. It’s just a fact. That poster may view divorce as a negative, but it is sometimes the best thing for two people to do, especially if they are parents. Better to be alone and right than together and wrong. Staying together for the sake of the children can provide a poor model of a married relationship for them to grow up and create for themselves.

• StevenT May 12, 2009, 12:26 PM

I had a number of good email conversations with Ronen. I watched his videos many times. I recently converted and he was extremely gentle with me and my questions.

It does not matter to me how he died. I just know that while living he helped put the fire in my heart for Torah.

• JS May 17, 2009, 10:08 AM

<<>>

how absurd, and defensive— there’s not a single comment here that is even close to being lashon hara. One commenter explained–correctly—that when a death notice pointedly omits cause of death, particularly in the case of a young man—that will inevitably fuel speculation (and that is where lashon hara enters the picture). This may be unfair or wrong, but it is true, and it is natural.

Of course, if the deceased’s loved ones want it kept private, that IS their prerogative, and the idea that other people who care “have a right to know” is foolish & misguided.

But simply asking for information is completely understandable; people wonder, why did a young person die? And those who answer “What does it matter? All that matters is that a good man is gone!” are being argumentative and self-righteous. They can simply answer “No one knows; apparently the family wants it kept private.”

• s(b.) May 17, 2009, 12:14 PM

JS, you make a good point, though I can only say that I don’t know; some have alluded to knowing. My desire wasn’t to be argumentative or self-righteous; I just wanted to discourage the pressuring of folks who have alluded to possibly knowing to disrespect his family’s privacy.
    ——

StevenT, that’s really cool. Thanks.

• Shira May 18, 2009, 11:56 PM

Hey I didn`t mean any disrespect to Ronen`s family. I was just deeply troubled that he died. He helped so many people. But if the family wants to keep it private then that`s fine.

• Jack October 16, 2009, 12:33 AM

Shira he was a Zadik.

• Joel Robbins June 16, 2009, 6:36 PM

I was going to weigh in here, but JS said what I was thinking and much more articulately than I could have. I only knew Ronen on line, but I knew him to be a very special young man-kind, generous, tolerant, forgiving and wondering. I will miss that.

• Anonymous November 1, 2009, 2:21 AM

vv

• Anonymous November 1, 2009, 2:21 AM

JTF.ORG

• aaron December 26, 2009, 8:20 PM

i found Ronen’s youtube channel tonight…watched for hours starting from the oldest video; and then noticed that it the videos suddenly stopped. The consistent monthly videos were no more. Naturally, I was thinking he went to a different medium, or maybe, G-d forbid, became disenchanted with Judaism (unlikely but i’ve seen it before). I googled his name and found, to my horror, that his soul left this world. I just sat here, shocked, confused, saddened, and hurt. I didn’t know Ronen – but through a few hours of videos, but I felt connected. Anyone who can have an impact like that from youtube videos clearly had a special soul. My Prayers are with his family and friends.

• Uriel Cohen April 14, 2011, 10:03 PM

Same story here. Exactly.

• Moti June 30, 2011, 11:14 PM

Same story here. He was (and is) clearly a very special soul.

• lessermystery September 6, 2011, 2:42 PM

Same here. A few months ago though. One of his vids popped up as recommended viewing. He was so good looking I had to click on it. Then I read the comments and found he had passed. He was too young to die, and too full of hope with so much to offer. My condolences to his family, his children, and his ex-wife.

• fthfl1 March 16, 2013, 11:45 PM

Same, and it is 2013. Nearly four years later… May G-d continue to bless his family.

• eliana April 3, 2013, 8:38 AM

Same here and it’s 2013. I am so sad. This is sad. G-d bless him.

• tinok shenishba July 16, 2013, 7:41 PM

Missing Ronen in 2013. He makes me want to be the best human being and Jew I can be.

• Schooldaze November 27, 2011, 9:08 PM

I also just discovered his video’s a couple of days ago, watched more tonite, then saw about his passing. Very, very sad-and amazing how we can feel that we knew him, and that he made a difference with such brief “contact”. What a loss this must have been to those who actually knew him. My heart goes out to his family.

• Zevulun January 4, 2010, 4:58 AM

I just somehow happened to come across some of his You Tube Videos & was taken aback,in a most positive way that is.I wondered who is he,what is he?He impressed me immensely.I was interested to learn more about him & I Googled about & came upon this tragic news.He struck a chord with me.He clearly knew his stuff,it permeated him.I never met him & I feel saddened at his passing.MHDSRIP

• Renton January 12, 2010, 10:43 PM

I found Ronen’s videos a week ago, then I decided to contact him on Facebook and then I knew about his death.

I’ll miss you Ronen, God bless you!

• Magic January 24, 2010, 7:51 AM

I have been watching Ronen’s videos for the past couple of hours and have been really impressed. I now find out he has passed away and feel very sad altho I only came across his channel today.
    So young – but now in glory.
    Rest in Peace.

• Anonymous April 30, 2010, 8:01 PM

I am surprised of all the comments on how this person died. I watched his videos on youtube awhile ago, he seems to be quite a bit “open” towards the public.

The thing that bothers me is this: His brother set up a trust fund for his two daughters…open to the public. This Ronen seems to me to be a very public person…I’m sorry but it seems to me that his videos are just a ploy….like “before I die, which I know I am soon, I’m going to let the world know my opinion” OR “I’m not dead, I’ll make all of these videos and then not use that youtube account anymore so that people think I’m dead and I can raise money for my jobless life or so my daughters aren’t poor.

I realize this sounds harsh…but more than likely people are thinking it. You tell people how he died because they feel they knew him. You tell people the EXACT cause of death to STOP LASHON HARA….you people do nothing but cause Lashon hara. Yes, this is absolutely directed at the people that know how he died….what a bunch of morons.

• James August 2, 2010, 2:10 AM

I just recently found Ronen’s videos on Youtube. I never knew him, never got to chat with him, but I was saddened to read of his passing. His insights on life have helped me. G-d bless him and his family.

• Mary August 29, 2010, 5:13 PM

I was searching for converting to Judaism videos on YouTube when I found Ronen’s videos.
    I visited his channel and found out he passed away! He seemed like a very kind person! I’m sorry I never had the change to contact him, he will be missed.
    I wish his family and friends much strenght.

• Anonymous February 2, 2011, 11:19 PM

I fell in love with his heart and his love for Hashem .May Hashem guide protect and shield his little children and comfort the family.I know what it feels like to grieve for family that have passed.Bless you all.We have lost a tender hearted brother what a wonderful soul he was.

• Lucas Fernandes February 16, 2011, 4:52 PM

I have saw his videos months ago or more than this and now suddenly, reading the messages in his channel i realize the he passed away. G-d bless your soul Ronen.

• SEan SAnchez April 22, 2011, 12:31 AM

G-d bless your soul Ronen you are my favorite role model.

• ben May 31, 2011, 2:41 PM

gd bless you, you are still missed

• ary August 13, 2011, 8:52 PM

So so sad. Baruch Dayin Haemes

• Jean September 24, 2011, 12:41 AM

I am a Christian and found myself listening to Ronen’s views on Messianic Jews and Judaism in general and found him to have such a loving heart for his fellow man. He didn’t have anything angry to say – very refreshing. Then, I found a video “In memory of…” I felt so sad. G-d had blessed him with beauty inside and out. I’m certain that there is an empty place in the hearts of all who loved him. Don’t get angry. I’m sure Ronen would want peace. <3

• Jean September 24, 2011, 10:46 PM

To all the people responding: Ketuvim (The Writings) Proverbs 2:11 –
    “Discretion will watch over you.
    Understanding will keep you.”
    May G-d bless you!

• Krystyna October 1, 2011, 4:05 PM

I started watching Ronen in You Tube just a couple months ago and just recently found out that he passed away. I felt someone really close and dear to me had gone and I became very sad. In one of Ronen’s videos when he talked about his father’s passing he said that when a person dies, that person’s purpose in life has been fulfilled. Therefore no matter how short we may feel Ronen’s life span had been or how painful the cause of death, I believe that G-d’s hand is on it. Ronen is a good, kind, and loving soul and will be missed very much. May Ronen rest in peace and I pray that his family and 2 daughters will also have peace and to know in their hearts that they will see him again in the next life. Baruch Hashem.

• Richard October 25, 2012, 2:16 PM

I found Ronen’s videos on You Tube last night. I spent hours watching this loving, kind man. I wanted to contact Ronen and tell him how much he had touched my life in that moment. And then I saw a comment that he had passed. I feel such loss for someone that I have never met. I pray that G-d will hold him close in the next world until we can all see him and be blessed again by his gentle spirit.

• Yahalomit March 21, 2013, 12:52 PM

As I understood it he became religious as he was very sick, therefore he made the right choice for his soul and made G-d very happy for him. He is in a great place now with G-d and once the Messiah comes will be back, he shall be resurrected, so don’t be sad, the once who are G-d fearing will meet again.

• Ocamorie Chan June 24, 2016, 12:20 PM

The video at the top is awsome, when I read this and some of the comments I literally cried, I am a Christian and I may convert to Judaism becous I believe in doing God’s (G-d) commandments.

• Anonymous July 6, 2018, 7:20 PM

Only if someone had shared the gospel that the Messiah, his name is Yeshua, and anyone that believes in him has eternal life…