Facebook Stalkers

Having 2400 friends on Facebook has its perks, I can conduct shidduch back round checks for the entire Brooklyn, find shidduchim and reconnect with people I met once while on a field trip in pre-1A (for all those non frummies- this is between kindergarten and 1st grade) Facebook also offers a chance for those who have a keen fascination with me to bursh up on their stalking abilities. I don’t have too many stalkers, I have had some in the past, but I really think that classifying people as stalkers on Facebook has gotten out of hand.

Just because someone comments on a bunch of your pictures doesn’t mean they are a stalker, you put the pictures up for people to see didn’t you? There are some very annoying people who feel the need to chat with me every time they notice me on Facebook chat – its overbearing sometimes, due to the fact that Facebook chat doesn’t allow you to say you are busy. Just because its annoying doesn’t mean they are stalking you. Then you have those people that send you tons of gifts and applications, yes its annoying but can we really call them stalkers?

I would rather call them admirers, I have people who make a comment on every picture and every post for a month, they proceed to engage in fruitless chat conversations that center around how you are doing “nothing much” at the time of chat. Then I get several emails about how awesome my blog is and then never hear from them again, I always wonder if your going to go through all that trouble – just ask me out.

But of course I do have stalkers, stalkers are fun most of the time, they will even admit it sometimes. I have this one girl who chats me on Aim, Gtalk, phone and facebook under all different names – I have had people email me on Frumster and Facebook and Email at the same time but not admit they were the same person, that’s a bit odd, but hey no one said stalkers were normal.

My favorite stalkers are the ones that are up front about it, sometimes it results in a date. but more often then not it results in them stopping their stalking and never talking to me again.

I just think that stalking is a bit harsh when they may just be doing what the site was made for, oh wait, Facebook was made for stalkers.

• Michal bas Avraham March 13, 2009, 2:11 AM

Or you could just de-friend them…. especially if they tag in that pic going around as the “slow one.” Remove Tag, remove friend and no, I’m not slow… I think someone who’s never met a person is a chutzpadik if they do that.

• Anonymous March 13, 2009, 5:53 AM

Facebook was made for people who have no life.

• Phil March 13, 2009, 9:06 AM

A good place for bored houswives if you ask me. I can’t believe the amount of time some people actually waste on there, sending useless “gifts”, pokes, updating moods, and all the other silly things that they’ve popularized.

The fact that people post private information for all to see (and hack/steal) is insane. If you’re going to post your real birth date and mother’s maiden name, you’re asking for trouble.

On facebook, it’s a fineline between friends and stalkers, almost as stupid as twitter where stalkers are renamed to followers.

• prili March 13, 2009, 10:59 AM

HEY! i think this post might have been refering to me. No matter, I will continue my stalking of you undetered.

• Hannah Heller March 13, 2009, 12:09 PM

Enjoy your break – don’t waste time on stalkers! I can’t speak for anyone else – I just like to express my opinions on some of the controversial topics you raise. I do like your postings, blogs, videos, etc. I’m a widow and on frumster but I’m too old for you as far as dating goes – so no worries there. I just like to put in my two cents and your blog gives me a golden opportunity to procrastinate doing what needs to be done and to let everyone know what I think about the issues you raise.

• Julia March 13, 2009, 12:19 PM

Re: Facebook chat, it does allow you to go offline, you know. I keep it as offline at all times and only go online if there’s someone I’m specifically looking for to talk to for some reason. Though I can almost always get them on some other chat.

• Mark March 13, 2009, 2:02 PM

Fascinating. I’ve never used facebook and would never waste my time on that.

Instead I waste my time on the blogs 🙂

• Creep March 13, 2009, 2:23 PM

HAHAHA

• Chavi March 13, 2009, 2:43 PM

I loathe the new Facebook … they’re trying to be Twitter, and they fail (whale, badaching!).

But really, stalkers can be fun. I don’t have any, thank G-d.

• vildechaia March 13, 2009, 5:24 PM

Stalkers? Feh! I use it to keep track of my grandchildren!

• Stalked on Facebook March 14, 2009, 5:49 PM

The definition of a facebook stalker is someone who you “met” somewhere, never talked to or barely said two words to and then adds you as a friend. They often then ask you why you never added them as a friend.

• simcha March 16, 2009, 5:00 PM

there is nothing wrong with the so called “stalking” on face book… if u accept me as a friend than u r allowing me to contact u whenever. and so what if i sign up as different people to speak to u… if u dont know who i am dont friend me but the second u friend me u are basiclly saying were in some sort of relationship

• hot girl March 16, 2009, 7:04 PM

u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ur the one that stalks me all day long get a f****** life

• anoymaosd March 19, 2009, 5:46 PM

u have a good and bad point

• shlong March 26, 2009, 4:24 PM

I think your topic here is an interesting one. Basically man (and wo-man) is a social being.

The whole premise for ‘social’ networking is to let other people into your life. This is also something of a two way street (a) people have an innate interest in garnering attention and (b) they are also born Yentas (Hey, did you hear what I heard about Sara …)

So I agree, you’re not really a ‘stalker’ unless you’re going overboard and showing up at someones party or calling them unsolicited.

As something to ponder, have you ever setup to get emails or some RSS feed and find that you have no clue how you can turn it off?

… yes, we’re now into the world of the virtual ‘bot stalker’.

• stalking you on facebook May 16, 2009, 11:32 PM

I have stalked men into dating me quite successfully in the past but that is not why I added you. Yes, I am a fan of the blog and now I have more interesting content to fill my news updates than the same old crap using up my page. I even noticed you update via facecrack when you’ve updated this blog. That’s helpful.

What can I say, people collecting online is about as interesting as people watching. Random people have initiated friending me, so I decided to try my hand at it.