See Frum Satire live this Thursday night in Crown Heights

As the title states, I will be doing an informal “MENS” only event at ALIYA in Crown Heights – Brooklyn.

This event is set to start at 9:30pm and your $10 admission charge will include all the beer and cholent you can pound – as the yeshivishe velt says it. Bring your friends and no I didn’t make it an all male event – speak to the organizers.

Frum Satire live in Crown Heights
@ALIYA 527 East New York Avenue
Brooklyn, NY
9:30pm
$10 – includes beer and cholent

Click here for the Facebook Event

• Phil February 25, 2009, 10:58 AM

Good luck with the show, would love to attend but I’m 400 miles away.

You should have it recorded and post it for us out of towners when you’re done.

• Phil February 25, 2009, 10:59 AM

PS, $10 for all the beer I can drink, you’d be in serious trouble if I did attend.

• Michal bas Avraham February 25, 2009, 11:32 AM

He’ll have to come up to Canada, do a show and check out the bars.

• Texgator February 25, 2009, 12:07 PM

Make sure you do a lot of material about how Lubav chicks are the hottest….that should go over very well.

• veebee February 25, 2009, 12:35 PM

I’m pretty angry that I’ll miss your show in Baltimore.

• Frum Satire February 25, 2009, 12:45 PM

veebee – maybe you could make the one in Silver Spring I just got – its on Saturday the 21st of march

• veebee February 25, 2009, 12:51 PM

Where?

• justme February 25, 2009, 3:54 PM

IS IT OPEN TO EVREYONE OR JUST THE ALIYA BOYS?????

• justme too February 25, 2009, 4:19 PM

what about us of the opposite sex? what are we? chopped liver?

• chanief February 25, 2009, 5:31 PM

Men only. Ptuey ptuey. How chauvinistic.

• Veebee February 25, 2009, 10:02 PM

Chanief – dress as a man.

• yeshiva dude February 25, 2009, 11:20 PM

It would be nice if you can do one in Queens or Brooklyn one of these days.

• Critic February 27, 2009, 11:35 AM

(Hesh you might want to make a separate post out of this comment, and delete this line.)

So here is my review of last nights performance by Hesh.

I walk into this shul-like room, with an Aron Kodesh and Sforim, including a full Artscroll Shas (Lubabs use Artscroll???) with a 27 inch-TV playing a Sicha from the rebbe. 3 or 4 rows of chairs facing a Shtender, it reminded me of how AA or NA meetings are portrayed on TV and Film. At the door this dude in a hoody took my ten bucks. To the right was a small bar like counter that had a big pot of something, some olives, kosher tortilla chips, a few cups and two bottles of 24oz MGD. The ones you see a Hobo hold in a brown paper bag.

To the left was some old worn out couch. And I took a little tour around the bend, and found a fooz-ball table, a hair hockey table and a kid standing at another 30inch screen playing some baseball video game.

Not sure who made the chulent, but Hesh, I was actually very disappointed. Unlimited chulent and beer sounded very enticing, but to get some undercooked overspiced potato-carrot mush with some cheap ass beer in 6 inch cups, was not what I expected. and I felt kinda weird because I expected a bigger crowd, and when I arrived at about 9:20 there were maybe 7-10 patrons and a bunch Chabad guys. Although in the end most seats where full I was actually disappointed with the crowd. Frumsatire.net, I assume, has a couple of thousand regular viewers, that consider themselves fans, (am I overestimating the popularity of the site???), and was expecting to meet more of then just a handful of your regular commenters. I think that the lack of fans in the crowd actually had an adverse effect on the response when you were doing your material. (or maybe your popularity is in your writing and not as much for your youtube clips? So people know what to expect of your standup?)

So we finally settle down, and this rabbi gets up, started off with a dvar torah. Now its only at that point I got the full picture of what Aliya is and why they brought you down. Its kinda a Yeshiva rebel type of place for guys to hang out rather then in other places and I actually applaud that. So Hesh was brought down to give them some kosher entertainment (which actually was to our detriment for he had to censor his material). The rabbi was going on and on about this Chasidishe Story, which bored the hell out of me. No I am not a snag, but come on do you think this is what we came out here for? If you want to do kiruv, that is cool, but dont shove it down other ppls throat who dont expect it. (to be fair, I gather the event was catered more to the Aliya chevra, so it was more like a private show Hesh was doing for them, that allowed others to go see).

So he finally finishes the Rebbis Moifis how the 16 year old was able to walk again, and Hesh got up. He started off talking about a chasunah in Crown Heights and somehow ended up taking about the BP stare in Monsey. Being a regular reader of his sight you know his take on most of the topics he spoke about, but the funniest part is how he can jump from one topic to the next in a split second and its hilarious how you find yourself talking about something entirely different he started with. He is funny, but not hilariously funny, and if you dont get his style of satire or sarcasm you would be disappointed. SO the only time he really got the crowd going was when he mentioned his fascination of the Crown Heights females, And some other chabad references. But as whole, the crowd was kinda lame. I gotta say I liked it, and was pleasantly surprised when he mentioned that he was going for an hour and twenty minutes, so he was able to keep my attention for quite some time.

He tried getting the crowd into it, like the standard stand ups do with the crowd, but was picking on an Israely guy, who couldnt even communicate with him, and asked the crowd why he wasnt heckled, and besides that he didnt really pick on anyone.

It was probably worth the ten bucks.

Thanks Hesh for the good time.

• Tuvia February 27, 2009, 11:36 AM

Great job last night Heshy

I tagged him in a bunch of photos from last night on Facebook, so if you are friends with him check it out.

I also wrote a brief review about it here:

• Nah February 28, 2009, 8:44 PM

wasnt impressed

• Chavi March 1, 2009, 9:03 PM

What’s UP haters? It wasn’t the world’s greatest comedy, but I was chuckling consistently, so I was pleased with the show.

I didn’t try the cholent, but I heard it was HELLA spicy.

Oh, and mad props to the rabbi for letting the ladies intermix with the fellas. Never thought THAT would happen in CH.

And nice to meet a few of the commenters 🙂

• Tuvia March 1, 2009, 10:25 PM

It was definitely a good time, and was worth the 2 hour drive.

• Critic March 2, 2009, 10:28 AM

Hey Chavi, you left early. whats up with that?

• Frum Satire March 2, 2009, 10:37 AM

Critic: The show was semi private, he basically asked me – one week prior to it if I would do it – and its funny that you say the crowd was lame – because on my 30 minute tape of the 1.5 hour long show – the crowd seems to be completely into it – like its funny how peoples perceptions are because this was a phenomenal crowd – they were laughing the entire time.

The reason why many people didn’t show up was because it was advertised as MEN only and it wasn’t really marketed – the other thing is this:

Loyal Fans doesn’t necessarally mean they will show up. I did a show in Cleveland Saturday night which was definitely a lame crowd – and over 10 people drove at least 3 hours each way to see me – those are loyal fans.

The true gauge will be to see how many folks show up to the Brooklyn College show on March 19th

• Tuvia March 2, 2009, 10:49 AM

I agree with Heshy, the crowd was definitely into it. Everyone I saw around was laughing the whole time, so I don’t know what show you were at that you thought that crowd was lame.

In regards to your comment about the hecklers, its a very fine line. You should check out the documentary called Heckler about it, because its not an easy thing to do right. I have been to a million comedy shows and 99% of the time the hecklers are really drunk and just look stupid and ruin the flow of the show. Heshy was looking for people that had something to add, which very few people at a comedy show have the comic chops to do. If you think its so easy why weren’t you doing it??

• Critic March 2, 2009, 11:24 AM

Hey Hesh, I said i enjoyed it, and am glad you read my review. I was wondering if the material in Brooklyn College will be different or the same.

• Frum Satire March 2, 2009, 11:27 AM

Totally different – I catered to the audience – I always do – but you have to remember that I am brand new at this – most comics take years of practice and I am just starting out.

But I always cater material to the audience – BC would be more shidduch stuff, girls, shomer negia whatever – but much less chabad stuff.

This saturday night I have a show in Crown Heights as well – but its more private and its for older married more mature folks.