โ‰ก Menu

By the way, the soup your eating has been frozen for 6 months

I cannot tell you how many times I have been sitting at a shabbos table when the woman of the house points out that the food we are eating has been sitting in their freezer for 6 months. Its almost as if frummie women have contests to see who can serve older food.

I thought of this when my friends wife requested a deep freezer for her next present. I was expecting her to ask for diamond earings or a new shotgun, but the deep freezer was high on her list. She dreamed out loud of the bulk made soup and kugels which she could throw in the freezer like a Lakewood guy or Sylvestor Stalone in the Demolition Man.

In my mind she was actually saying “Imagine the look on my inlaws faces when I tell them they are eating previously petrified challah that was reconstituted from the DNA found on a challah cutting board”.

I thought to compare this to myself, I can rarely accept a compliment on an article of clothing without bragging about how little I paid for it. Its as if I buy clothing on clearance racks at Marshalls and TJMaxx just so I could brag.

So do women who just freeze food so they could shock us with their zip lock bag abilities.

• Former Teacher February 21, 2009, 8:09 PM

Don’t forget meatballs!

• Frum Librarian February 21, 2009, 8:19 PM

It’s true! I love cooking ahead and freezing. I don’t brag though, I pretend I made everything fresh 5 minutes before Shabbos. I seem much more competent that way.

• Ariella February 21, 2009, 8:20 PM

I understand where the wife is coming from. It is a great thing to cook in bulk and seal and preserve the rest into tidy portions. I have a bit of a canning fetish- Preserves, salsas and various pickled veggies, all done up in dome lid jars in a pressure cooker. So i understand it.I bake bulk batches of bread and freeze the remaining loaves. They keep well.

I am kinda cheap like you, but I buy my clothes at Goodwill and mend them myself.

• Frum Satire February 21, 2009, 8:32 PM

Don’t even get me started

• Frum Satire February 21, 2009, 9:06 PM

Goodwill rocks! I buy my books there and always fel bad that I can afford stuff and these ppl cant

• Michal bas Avraham February 21, 2009, 9:13 PM

I’m into bulk cooking… It’s just easier to make a huge batch of something at once. Like meatloaf, could you imagine making one loaf at ttime so much work… but 5 loaves are the same amount of work… and then you freeze the other 4.

• m00kie February 21, 2009, 9:22 PM

the worse thing a sefardi can ever do is cook in bulk and freeze. there is no bigger embarassement. sfardis pride themselves on their fresh and made from scratch meals….
    you want a real deal breaker in a sfardi shiduch, just mention this!

• Ariella February 21, 2009, 9:27 PM

Mookie, i never knew that and i am sephard. I just cook and preserve in bulk because i love it.

• m00kie February 21, 2009, 10:17 PM

ariella, you must be american ๐Ÿ˜›

• The Wandering Wondering Jew February 21, 2009, 10:39 PM

Some Sephardis preserve certain foods. However, they are not nearly as obsessive as other Jews.

I’m Sephardi and I have a deep freezer but I keep it primarily for storing flours in bulk and gluten-free breads but there’s only a half a loaf in there at a time. From time to time, some homemade marinara sauce might be there since I don’t want to waste and there’s only so much one person can eat in a week. I do like the pickle and can items. However, such is a very Sephardic thing so it works.

I cannot fathom feeding anything to anybody that’s been frozen for longer than two weeks [that being bread]. If I happened to store pre-prepared foods in my freezer, I’d make sure they’d be gone in two weeks and they certainly would not be served to guests. I find that just wrong on so many levels.

• In addition February 21, 2009, 10:42 PM

I’m with you Mookie. It’s got to be fresh baby! And it is totally a sfardi thing.
    The best is when you can get fresh, locally grown ingredients too.
    What is with this freezing phenomenon? It disturbs me.

• Michal bas Avraham February 21, 2009, 10:54 PM

Goody! They try to push Sephardic guys on me and I don’t want one. Now, I know what to… Thank you so much!

It’s the American way for me…. FREEZE it!

• Jacob da Jew February 21, 2009, 10:59 PM

wow! Have I got one for you….

My wife’s garndfather served us cholent that his wife made…after she frickin died!! said cholent had init real kishka from israel. Yech.

• Ari February 21, 2009, 11:05 PM

Jacob: You win.

• Mark February 22, 2009, 1:05 AM

Michal, you really are a piece of work! So, you don’t want any Sephardi guys? I can only imagine what stereotype(s) you might be basing that conclusion on.

• LonelyMan February 22, 2009, 1:52 AM

I’ve actually grown to like Tabatchnik soups, which I pick up for cheap at a local discount store, which I assume takes the overstock from nearby Kosher stores. 99 cents for one of those boxes is an awesome price, though I have no idea when the soups were manufactured, and frankly, I don’t wanna know. If anyone tells me, before they finish their sentence, I’ll knock them senseless with a frozen salmon stake from my freezer. Don’t try me.

Freezing’s also awesome if you don’t like going to stores every couple of days. If I drop by costco, I buy a bunch of tortillas, then freeze most of them at a time, and unfreeze as I go along. Why should I have to come back there every 2 weeks now. It’s also great if I go to the same discount store and find an awesome deal on empire frozen chicken…that bad boy’s going in the freezer.

Jacob, that story is both awful and hilarious. I’d like to meet your wife’s grandpa sometime, he seems like the kind of old man who has a great sense of humor, good stories, and doesn’t care what others think of him…well, at least the last one.

Michal, Sephardim are nice guys, so long as they shave their chests and use mints ๐Ÿ™‚

J/k, I love my brown brothers, but please guys, chest and mints. And no cutting up your wifebeater and putting tzitzit strings on them…that’s just wrong in more ways than I can count.

• Frum Satire February 22, 2009, 2:15 AM

Jacob thank you for that

• Chavi February 22, 2009, 2:57 AM

Kugel. Mass quantities of frozen kugel schlepped from New York to the local campus Chabad house months, if not years, ago. That’s what we eat. But, you know, it’s still good.

• Janet February 22, 2009, 10:40 AM

That’s so funny that people would brag. Things that can be stored raw are no big deal to freeze: marinated chicken, meatballs, cookie batter. Fully cooked food other than baked goods. . . :p

• Left Brooklyn February 22, 2009, 1:23 PM

Hey Hesh; these women work very hard raising their families usually with little help from their husbands. I don’t blame them for cooking in bulk and freezing. And if they didn’t mention it would you have known the difference??

• Mark February 22, 2009, 1:52 PM

Wow, talk about generalizations!!!

Even husbands who do little around the house, but spend 50+ hours a week working outside the house to pay for housing, food, tuition, etc still contribute a lot more than “little help” towards raising a family.

Sheesh. Sounds like someone is stuck in the 1950’s (or earlier).

• Batya February 22, 2009, 1:57 PM

I think there is a distinct difference between freezing for convienance and ease versus serving freezer burned food. I know that some itmes like surplus veggies, meat, and other premade things are ok when you freeze them and one would never know the difference. One of the best cooks I knew would freeze the left over soup stock, and then when she would make more, put that in as a base, add more veggies and meat and the soup was always awesome.

• Rivky February 22, 2009, 2:46 PM

I have a freezing fetish too. I also tell guests that I’ve frozen it, but from a pride standpoint – I worked hard and made the soup, kugel, tomato sauce and desserts from scratch. As for fresh vs frozen… as long as you make it from fresh, you’re just posturing if you say you can really tell the difference. Mind you, I don’t freeze things for half a year…

• Rose Adler February 22, 2009, 4:41 PM

I eat old frozen stuff but less and less. I’m just not trusting of its quality.

• Karen February 22, 2009, 5:28 PM

I always freeze soup stock — it doesn’t make sense to make chicken soup every Shabbat. I make it in big batches early in the week and defrost it on Friday morning, adding fresh vegetables, noodles, etc. You absolutely cannot tell the difference. (I never keep it for more than a month or two however.) Challah DOUGH also freezes perfectly, much better than baked challot — I realized that it doesn’t make sense to make less than a full batch of dough (6-8 challot) even if I don’t need that many that week. The point is, you have to know what you’re doing. Lots of things lose flavor in the freezer but a few don’t. I think my chocolate cake actually gets better, it gets moister and denser somehow. OTOH, I can DEFINITELY tell the difference on a lot of cooked dishes if the cook doesn’t reseason it. You lose spices in the freezing process. Better to freeze plain things and season it later (tomato sauce for example).

• HannaH February 22, 2009, 8:22 PM

it is definately better to eat fresh stuff as mookie said, but what is with the sfardi stuff?

fresh stuff not only tastes better, but is better. why do you want to take a chance that it could go bad? you dont know what could be growing on it, and no one likes freezer burnt food. but if you do, just dont leave any thing in the freezer for more than a month.

• OrthoEbonyJewessNJ February 23, 2009, 10:10 AM

I make challot in bulk and freeze them once they’re cooled. Once defrosted and warmed, it’s so good – no one cares that it was frozen.

As for food, I would never serve anything in the freezer longer than one day. When Shabbat starts early, I have no choice but to start cooking the night before and finish Friday afternoon.

Unfortunately, in some communities women don’t have the support of their husbands. They must take care of the house, kids, prepare for shabbos and yontif and in some cases hold down a full time job. Freezing is the only way to give people a real meal. Now serving something that has been in the freezer for 6 months, is just insane. I would never do it and I would be upset if someone served it to me.

• Frum Satire February 23, 2009, 11:24 AM

So guys have muscle car fetishes and women have freezing fetishes – interesting.

• Cady February 23, 2009, 3:16 PM

Says a whole chicken can last a year in a feezer.
    And on my food budget, I’d probably eat it even older than that cause my philosophy is: What doesn’t kill you gets you to your next meal.

• Michal bas Avraham February 25, 2009, 2:34 PM

Mark,
    I live in a Sephardic neighborhood. I don’t need stereotypes. I have seen in real life… no thank you.

Mark again, I know one or two marriages where the husband grocery shops and washes the kids’ poopy pants. Men like this are rare and I think all the wives good little beis yaakov girls.

Hannah,
    That’s the point, freezing kills any of those growths. However, refridgeration just slows it down.

Ebony,
    freezing for a day is not even worth freezing.