Why do the rabbis hate Lipa Sheltzer so much?

So a few weeks ago there was a another scandal or controversy involving Lipa Shmeltzer, I didn’t writer about because I didn’t find it all that funny or cool that this Rabbi Schorr while at a wedding where Lipa Shmeltzer was singing decided that it was avoda zaroh and publicly embarrassed Lipa – who it seems the Rabbis love to use as their poster child for all that is wrong in the Chassidic community – funny because the last time I checked this guy Lipa looked religious to me. Anyway if you really want to know what happened you can check out Chaim Rubins post on the topic.

The only reason I am writing about it, is because last night I found a similar video to the one that shows a mini-riot at a wedding, and although this second video isn’t actually the same thing – it was so funny and sad I had to show it to you anyway.

Rabbi Schorr pulls the mic away from Lipa and causes controversy (although I only think controversy was caused because Vos Iz Neias and Yeshiva World News linked the video. (the video sucks by the way)

The next video shows Eitan G being kicked off the chabad telethon because a more important guest has come on the show. It is actually kind of sad.

• veebee February 13, 2009, 1:05 PM

Jews make me laugh.

• E.D. February 14, 2009, 2:57 PM

He just GRABBED the mike away! How rude 🙁

• Menachem February 14, 2009, 7:06 PM

In defense of Rabbi Cunin, he seemed not to know beforehand that Eitan would be on the telethon, right in the begining he was already saying all right….

• Future Druggie February 14, 2009, 7:17 PM

To embarass someone in public is one of the greatest sins.

Before undertaking such a grave sin, one should really seek advice from a great Rabbi, who would never condone it.

• Future Druggie February 14, 2009, 7:18 PM

A great Rabbi would never give permission to embarass someone in public.

• Chamerizel December 28, 2011, 7:07 PM

Your username cracked me up. Are you a druggie yet? I’m sorry I had to get that out.

• A. Nuran February 14, 2009, 11:56 PM

I was appalled. Most of us learn not to do that sort of thing around, oh, third grade. I’ve also been reading news stories of some of the rabbis screaming at and slapping or hitting adults over disagreements. I have no doubt that it is exaggerated. I also have no doubt that it occurs.

It’s all of a piece with the modesty patrols stoning girls or throwing bleach on them, beating up old women not sitting at the back of the bus (Oh, the irony!) or coming into stores and smashing up all Internet-capable devices. It’s the temper tantrum of someone who is sure that he will not be stopped.

This is what happens when someone has authority with no brakes and feels that he cannot be wrong or even be seen to be wrong. He will continue with this sort of behavior until it is corrected. Given some of the displays I fear that the required correction will be equally extreme when it happens. I’m guessing it will involve massive violence. All it would take would be the kosher mutwas taking a swing at a woman whose day job is “IDF Drill Sergeant” or the musician losing his temper and decking the rabbi.

• klem February 15, 2009, 12:14 AM

cuz lipa is a clown, and rabbis hate laytzanos

• Mark February 15, 2009, 12:17 AM

cuz lipa is a clown, and rabbis hate laytzanos

It’s more likely that those Rabbis hate anything they can’t control.

• A. Nuran February 15, 2009, 12:24 AM

Screwing up a wedding is right up there with mockery at a funeral and fornicating with your grandmother in the public square in the array of THINGS WE DO NOT DO. I don’t care how big the beard or how black the hat. The rabbi is a 24 karat prick and deserves to be punched out the next time he pulls a stunt like that.

• Frum Satire February 15, 2009, 12:43 AM

I think because the people like Lipa more then the Rabbis and they are jealous and scared of losing control of their flock. Oh and he provides them with entertainment a grave sin.

• A. Nuran February 15, 2009, 2:40 AM

If they’re afraid that joy and beauty are a threat to their authority, their authority needs to be threatened.

• veebee February 15, 2009, 8:51 AM

A. Nuran – you hit the nail on the head.

• A. Nuran February 15, 2009, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the kind words, veebee. I usually hit it on the thumb

• Jon the A February 15, 2009, 10:06 PM

Can someone fill me in on who this guy Rabbi Avrohom Schorr is?

Is he:

a) an unknown opportunist rabbi trying to make a name for himself by using the Lipa episode as a cause celebre?

b) a known rabbi in brooklyn who people respect

or

c) a little bit of both?

Where is his kehilla/yeshiva?

• Sergey Kadinsky February 16, 2009, 12:16 AM

This is why I have an LSSR- a Lipa Schmeltzer Solidarity Ringtone on my phone. I support Lipa’s right to bring laughter and happiness through pop music.

• ghottistyx February 20, 2009, 1:49 AM

Much like the old story of Kamtza and Bar-Kamtza. Now, does Rabbi Schorr wonder why the Beis Hamikdash hasn’t been rebuilt yet? Apparently, he is no worse than the Rabbis in that story who sat there and let Bar-Kamtza be publicly humiliated.