When you type LOL are you actually laughing out loud?

I try not to use shorthand type most because I feel like a little girl. In fact the second someone uses any type of teeny bopper chat terminology I cringe, LOL, LMAO, TTYL, and a million other terms immediately make me want to strange the person.

But my buddy made a very good point, he asked on his facebook status if anyone actually laughs out loud when they type LOL into a chat conversation or email. Email most certainly could be typed the normal way but it seems everyone is lazy or everyone is a 15 year old girl.

Why, even today if you go check out my facebook wall a few people wrote.

Do I no u???

I think unlimited texting plans are doing worse for kids then my yeshiva education ever did.

The term LMAO (laughing my ass off) laugh out loud was just not good enough, has become so popular that there was a commercial spot during the superbowl all about people who do too much LMAO and lost their butts, is was quite funny – but it still doesn’t answer my question.

Do people actually mean it when they type LOL?

Or are you chuckling to yourself but using your time online to create an alternate personality for yourself, one that would probably LOL in that situation.

I think the term LOL may be what the term LIKE was when I was young. It is used in all types of conversations yet has lost meaning. If I am chatting someone and I say hey how’s it going? and they respond “nothing much lol” it makes no sense – yet lol is continuously used for no reason at all which bugs me because it has desensitized true laughter, if you write lol it really means nothing to me.

• TRS February 2, 2009, 11:18 AM

If I wasn’t generally chatting at 4 in the morning and afraid of waking people up then yes, I would generally be laughing when I type LOL. If it’s just a chuckle I wrote COL, which gets some of my Lubavitch friends confused.

• Shmuley February 2, 2009, 11:26 AM

d00d, wtf i totly rite like a 12 yr old grl, lol j/k
    i thnk itz teh lame. much LULZ!

• Child Ish Behavior February 2, 2009, 11:39 AM

Nope, there are times I am actually Laughing Out Laud when I type LOL. However, I am sure not everyone is as crazy as me.

• jennthejewess February 2, 2009, 11:50 AM

I actually wrote to someone “I just Laughed Out Loud” hes like “do u mean LOL?” i said “No, there was actual laughter coming out of my mouth” unlike wen LOL is usually used for any random comment

• Phil February 2, 2009, 11:51 AM

I think it’s your fans promoting Ahavas Yisroel, LOL = Lots of Love.

• abandoning eden February 2, 2009, 12:12 PM

since I try to stay away from teen internets speak as much as possible, I only use “lol” in chat if I am actually laughing out loud. if I’m just chuckling or laughing on the inside, I’ll write something like “Ha!”

• Anonymous February 2, 2009, 12:16 PM

Not only do I laugh out loud when I type lol I also murmur what I just read outloud and respond outloud as I’m typing it. (as if the person at the other computer can hear me). I am also making the corresponding smiley face as I type it too.

• shevers February 2, 2009, 12:49 PM

I like SOL = snicker out loud… wait I don’t eat chalav stam.

• Tuvia February 2, 2009, 12:56 PM

I never use LOL or LMAO or any of those type things. I did love the LMAO commercial last night though!

I have been know to overuse typing “haha” though. I seem to use it even if its not funny, but more to give the impression that it isn’t a serious statement, because its hard to tell how people mean certain things over the internet. If I do actually laugh out loud, I have been known to type it out like 4 times, giving the impression of laughing out loud 🙂

• veebee February 2, 2009, 1:55 PM

Wow. It appears that I am not the only person who hates the overuse of 1337speak by /r/etards. Thank God.

• SF2K1 February 2, 2009, 2:05 PM

It depends actually.

lol (lower case specific) = something funny in some way. Doesn’t mean I’m laughing but I might be smiling.

LOL (upper case specific) = I’m laughing out loud (somewhat to moderate) or really damn funny.

ROFL/LMAO (caps not required) = now you know I am laughing out loud in real life pretty hard, cause that’s the only time I use these.

hahahahahaha = sarcasm possibly with laugh over stupidity

heh/ha – not really funny but I’m going to humor you

• Frum Satire February 2, 2009, 2:24 PM

I use ha, indeed, or interesting to end conversations – with annoying people who chat with me on facebook every time I sign on – I just wish they had an ignore button.

• The Wandering Wondering Jew February 2, 2009, 2:45 PM

I use LOL sometimes and I’m actually laughing as I write. Typically though, I just type that I’m laughing.

I have much disdain for text speak as it is and refuse to carry one a text or email conversation with anyone who uses it excessively.

• Pops February 2, 2009, 2:47 PM

wwjd

• Notageek! February 2, 2009, 3:15 PM

Thanks for writing about this FS.
    The real piss off is when they use uncommon acronyms, and you’re left figuring out what the h they mean.

• Michal bas Avraham February 2, 2009, 3:53 PM

Yes, I agree about how the youngster can’t spell the way they used to. There is such a difference in the typing of those my age and those who are 10 years or more younger than I.

• Yochanan February 2, 2009, 5:22 PM

Notageek!,

I think you mean TRPOIWTUUAAYLFOWTM.

• andy February 2, 2009, 5:47 PM

Since LoL is overused and fasle, I have began typing CTSQ= chuckling to self quietly, which is for sur more accurate

• EsPes February 2, 2009, 6:13 PM

i basically agree with SF2K1
    but with me “LOL” is interchangeable with “lolllllllll”

• s(b.) February 2, 2009, 7:54 PM

if I type it, I’m laughing. What you read is what you get.

• SF2K1 February 3, 2009, 1:11 AM

lololololol = Also really funny unlike hahahaha. I use it in lieu of lollllllllllllllll.

Much like Chinese characters, I think the lol has become a character representative of funniness more than anything else. It’s not essential to read into it’s literal meaning.

Something I hate is how my phone reads it. My phone has text to speech that I sometimes just push because it’s funny, but it has serious trouble with non-standard words and letter combos. Except for some reason, some genius decided to program it to always read lol (but not other internet memes) as “Laugh out loudly”, resulting in messages being read this way:

Original message:
    “:-) Yea man, that was awesome lol”

Text to speech:
    “EMOTICON SMILE YAY man, that was awesome LAUGH OUT LOUDLY”

• SF2K1 February 3, 2009, 1:17 AM

oh yeah and lol can be the receptor of punctuation to modify it’s meaning:

lol!!!! = really funny

lol? = uhh is this supposed to be funny? Maybe I shouldn’t laugh at this/are you serious (as in you just made some kind of faux paux)?

lol?!?!?! = Are you serious?!

and some meme combos:

omg lol = Oh my G-d that is funny.

zomg lol = fyi, zomg is a funny/sarcastic modification of omg, so z= That is so ridiculous I can’t believe it but funny!

• ipitythefoo February 3, 2009, 2:52 AM

I have a seemingly emotionally driven issue, basically I don’t really laugh. I realized about five years ago that I need to laugh to make sure people are aware when I think something is amusing but 9 times out of 10 I would rather say “o you silly goose!” or something equally aged.

• chevramaidel February 3, 2009, 7:01 PM

I prefer the Japanese smiley ^_^ . You don’t have to bend sideways to read it.

• Jenny February 4, 2009, 9:47 AM

If there’s anything to laugh about online, I’ll either type in a “hehehehe,” or I’ll just laugh to myself (usually later on, because that’s when I finally got the joke).

When I first started using AOL chatrooms (a million years ago), I didn’t understand what people meant when they asked me if I had a “pic.” I kept saying I have tons of pics, not realizing they were talking about “pictures” and not a “guitar” pic… sad

• Chayal mural March 15, 2009, 10:15 PM

Lol seems to be what people type when they want the person theyre talking to should ‘hear’ them saying it with a smile. Or howard smile.

• Sabrina July 4, 2009, 11:04 PM

I tend to say lol too much. mostly as fillers.
    If I find it a smiling matter, I’d go hahaha.
    If I’m laughing, I LOL or rofl or OMG LOL
    If I’m really laughing, I ROFL or lmao or HAHAHA xDDD
    i use xD a lot too. the funnier the more Ds

• mario February 21, 2011, 8:38 PM

i just use LQTM- laughing quietly to myself

• shervin May 26, 2014, 7:23 AM

The only satiric part about this “article” was the fact that you couldn’t differentiate between “then”, and “than” while ridiculing “15 year old girls” for their inferior educational achievements. This is from 2009 though so the odds of the writer seeing this message are probably close to none LOL (did not actually laugh)

• Cool Guy May 9, 2018, 6:39 PM

dude gamers use those terms too because they don’t have enough time to type out full sentences. its not always for little girls