Metrosexual Fashions come to the Yeshia World

The newest “hock” in the yeshivishe velt is funky glasses frames. I have been seeing some ridiculous styles of glasses lately, there is this one dude in the chofetz chaim yeshiva of Dallas that wears bright green glasses frames, he also matches them with his ties, metrosexual is taken to a new level with the latest in yeshiva guy fashions.

It makes sense that crazy glasses frames would be favored by yeshiva guys, since they can’t really change much else. When you have to wear the same colored shirt, pants and hat every day, your individual sense will probably figure out some ways to comb at this boring dress code.

Besides for crazy glasses frames, another yeshiva guy style or way to combat being stuck in the black and white is belt buckles. Huge designer belt buckles and shiny chrome is all part of chic yeshiva, which is what I would term the new yeshiva style – which isn’t so new at all.

I remember in ninth grade the coolest thing any yeshiva guy could wear was the Tommy Hilfiger white button down shirt with the blue inside color, it showed your parents paid full tuition and allowed you to dress a little more “modernishe” then the average yeshiva guy.

Black shoes are a must, but that doesn’t mean you cant get slip on shoes with chrome buckles that compete for glare with your huge belt buckle. I bet you didn’t know that black hats were getting the “chic yeshiva” treatment as well? I saw that some black hats now have little bumps in the middle of the top of the hat to portray a little sense of style into the otherwise frummy fedora. Some hats always feature patterns under the brims, of course it is only time until the red feather of small yiddisher man fame comes back into style as well. My first and only hat was bought for $18 at sears and it had a red feather and a 1 inch wide brim.

Click on the following posts of similar taste:

What was the dress code at your yeshiva?

What is a hot chani?

Should there be a dress code at the kotel?

• Adam December 29, 2008, 11:49 AM

this gives me nachas! I myself own three pairs of out there funky glasses.

• Yoni December 29, 2008, 12:03 PM

another way to rebel is with funky colored socks.
    and brightly colored belts, if u dont like the leather look…

• Frum Satire December 29, 2008, 12:14 PM

I heard about the socks

• daintysplendor December 29, 2008, 12:17 PM

and brightly colored shoe laces, why not?!?!?!?!

• Left Brooklyn December 29, 2008, 12:47 PM

I can’t believe that the Rebbeim allow this deviance. Wearing colors (like in the picture) even thought it is eyeglass frames is definitly not tzeinus.

Also, by allowing this form of freedom of choice and independence may lead some students to vear off the derech or worse, may lead to mixed dancing.

• Frum Satire December 29, 2008, 1:10 PM

Left Brooklyn I guaruntee the issue will be raised by yeshiva world or the Yated readers write section at some point.

• Anonymous December 29, 2008, 1:30 PM

For sure he’s going to Gehennom for wearing frames like that. Not so much because it’s assur to wear them themselves but for making us see them. Wow, how ugly can one get? Must be a Chofetz Chaim thing. LOL

• Anonymous December 29, 2008, 1:31 PM

Wow, I didn’t know you could post anonomously! Thanks for the tip Heshy.

• tnspr569 December 29, 2008, 1:37 PM

Don’t forget about the moccasins paired with the funky socks. It looks nice for those who wear colors, too.

• Anonymous December 29, 2008, 2:06 PM

You know how expensive those funky glasses are? Probably 500 – 1000 bucks!

• Frum Satire December 29, 2008, 2:13 PM

Jeez what a shonda – now it will surely make it to the yeshiva world news

• veebee December 29, 2008, 4:07 PM

You think glasses frames in chofetz chaim are bad? They allow COLORED shirts in their yeshivot! OY VEY!

• Shaygetz December 29, 2008, 4:18 PM

The green glasses may be new, but yeshiva guys have been rocking the shticky glasses here in Brooklyn for the last decade. It’s the only way any of them can individualize their ‘look’ while maintaining the white shirt and black/grey/blue pants look.

• Bsamim Smoker December 29, 2008, 4:46 PM

I remember when triple breasted suits were the “thing” and Elvis burns, I remember goin to TJMAXX to buy discounted Tommy Hilfigers just to be part of the “cool” chevra

• Crawling Axe December 29, 2008, 5:13 PM

You see what shaving leads to? First you shave, then you wear green glasses. Next thing you know — you are an iPhone (and other Apple products, r”l) owner. At that point you might as well come out of closet and move to San Francisco.

But seriously (although the above was only partly not serious), tell me this picture was taken on Purim or something…

• Phil December 29, 2008, 5:29 PM

Those glasses look on those cheap things they give out at 3d movies for halooween, I’m sure that guy will be kicking himslf when he grows up in a few years. I’m sure some rosh yeshiva will ban them soon enough, for once I’ll agree with a yeshiva ban.

• yeah December 29, 2008, 5:31 PM

Actually, nice shirt dude!

• Bsamim Smoker December 29, 2008, 5:36 PM

Yeah the neon green goes really well with the blue stripped shirt.

• ~ Sarah ~ December 29, 2008, 6:55 PM

lol.
    obviously a chofetz chaim school.

• Material Maidel December 29, 2008, 7:01 PM

maybe if he looked like Kanye…

white boys & neon don’t mix!

• gp December 29, 2008, 7:12 PM

Haha that is beyond ridiculous!

• Frum Satire December 29, 2008, 7:48 PM

Chofetz Chaim rocks the shiz

• Shaygetz December 29, 2008, 7:57 PM

The last thing that guy should be doing is calling attention to his nose. If he could sell his nose and buy a chin, he’d be in business!

• chanief December 29, 2008, 9:10 PM

LOL Shaygetz, very mean but very funny.

And no. Those glasses are all kinds of wrong. I am a big fan of funky frames and I say NO, NO, NO! Get thee to a new pair of glasses, and fast young man!! FAST!

• chanief December 29, 2008, 9:12 PM

Btw, note to all yeshiva bochurim considering such “funky” frames. Please, for the sake of the eyes of those around you, do not confuse “funky” with “ugly”. Admittedly and easy mistake, but please make a real effort to spare us more of that sort of “funky”.

• Frum Satire December 29, 2008, 9:43 PM

What if we call them fugly

• april December 29, 2008, 10:37 PM

You’ve missed the boat, Mr. FrumSatire. According to those who actaully read the Yated’s kvetchers’ ssection (AKA Readers Write) — I never read it, personally. Hermione Granger says it’s good to know what the enemy is saying, and that’s why she reads the “Prophet,” but I won’t take it so far to call those who work for the Yated my enemies, so I don’t read it.

OK, digression. Anyway, I’ve heard that several people have already written in to the Yated to complain about the glasses thing.

PS I wear funky socks. Or should I call them fugly? They are a nice way for me to dress the way I want without getting excommunicated.

• d December 29, 2008, 11:01 PM

“When you have to wear the same colored shirt, pants and hat every day…” But he obviously doesn’t — he has a nice stripped shirt, not white!

• d December 29, 2008, 11:01 PM

oops — meant “striped”; Freudian slip, maybe?

• G*3 December 29, 2008, 11:52 PM

He looks like a typical high school kid who’s tring to be cool.

My brother was in Chofetz Chaim in Dallas for a couple of years. He built something like half the bais medrish furniture for them. The bima is his, I think the amud, a small aron, and some other things I don’t remeber right now. He said he was going to do the main aron for them, but they decided to use someone else who was doing work for the yeshiva at the time.

• Frum Satire December 30, 2008, 12:30 AM

G3 your brother is trying to compete with Jesus eh

• sbg December 30, 2008, 1:49 AM

leather frames are the rage too now and semi upside dwn looking frames… pretty weird.

• Chris_B December 30, 2008, 4:07 AM

Hesh,

By big belt buckles, you mean those Texas rodeo style buckles that are the size of a dinner plate? I guess in stead of a cowboy on a bronco they could customize the metal work to match your sect or political outlook, Rebbe portrait, skyline of Jerusalem, Lone Star of David, etc.

/those glasses are fugly. The guy in the picture looks alot like a secular jewish friend of mine who has similar frames in red & black.

//If that guy gave his permission to have his picture put up on this site then I golf clap for his courage.

• lapini December 30, 2008, 8:29 AM

For someone concerned with his looks, that shirt is awfully wrinkled, not to mention ill-fitting. It’s way too big in the shoulders and sleeves, which is all I can see from the picture.

Something that Yeshiva hockers (and their social equivalents in the secular world, the college jocks) don’t get it is:
    Trends come and go, and if you dress with trends, you’ll laugh at yourself later. At least, you can hope you’ll laugh at yourself; there are many 30-year-olds the world over who still dress like douchebags.

The too-tight shirts with an open top button, the loud belt buckles and glasses, the visible brands – all show that you have no sense of style. At best you’re copying someone else’s ideas of fashion, but you haven’t developed your own if you dress to be ‘unique, like everyone else.’

I don’t get why people would want to advertise brands that are known for their crappy quality and mass appeal!

• Texgator December 30, 2008, 9:16 AM

Harsh criticisms of some random 15 year old kid. I’d like to have seen some of you “fashionistas” when you were in high school. I’m sure you NEVER committed a fashion faux pas when you were that young.

• chanief December 30, 2008, 9:19 AM

Texgator – NEVER! (LOL, I better hide all those hideous high school photos….)

Hesh, yes, we can definitely call them fugly. That’s an accurate term (and one of my faves :o)

• Phil December 30, 2008, 9:44 AM

I’ll be the first to admit that I have no sense of style, I usually wear jeans and t shirts. When I was in yeshiva, I followed the dress code, made life really simple as to not having to try to match colors and all that stuff I know nothing about.

This kid is trying way too hard, that’s his problem. Aside from the obvious clown glasses, Lapini pointed out the shirt that you can fit 2 of him itno, the hairflip thing, etc. I guess many people had that problem in yeshiva, trying to find the “coolest” possible look.

Kind of silly when you consider that he is in an all boys school, no frum girls in town arounf his age anyway. Who’s he trying to impress?

• Chris_B December 30, 2008, 10:49 AM

Just realized this blog doesnt allow “slashies” (the use of a slash to indicate a comment aside from your main post) Guess it thinks I’m trying to do HTML injection or some such. I’ll just wait till it gets moderated rather than double post.

• MAC December 30, 2008, 11:13 AM

heyy i know that kid hes from mosney

• jew lookin' at me? December 30, 2008, 11:20 AM

i’ve noticed the frumster obsession with glasses awhile ago….mainly among younger women.
    i got my glasses for $75 including my massive prescription at a flea market 5 years ago…could i be committing some sort of unintentional sin? or…gasp…not following the minhagim of my community? (most of the time i wear contacts, chas v’shalom)

• m00kie December 30, 2008, 12:17 PM

i like!

• Yochanan December 30, 2008, 12:21 PM

Not to be a grammar-nazi, but I think you mean “yeshiva chic”. A “chic yeshiva” would be a fashionable yeshiva, whereas “yeshiva chic” refers to the fashion associated with yeshivot.

• lapini December 30, 2008, 1:28 PM

I didn’t commit any fashion faux pas throughout high school etc, by keeping to the same thing I keep now, which incidentally, is the underlying reason for uniforms in Yeshivas:

Dress conservatively.

This need to be unique in dress is sad. Aside from the fact that dressing in department store and mall brands is a lousy way of being unique, there’s much to be said for conservative, simple dress that defines the ‘official’ Yeshiva uniform.

Trust me, with everyone in a school of hundreds wearing uniform white shoes / black pants and shoes, without showing off brands, the well dressed still stand out. The way these guys dress, for flashiness and loudness, is pretty pathetic.

• yeah December 30, 2008, 2:55 PM

the shirt looks mighty fine, you guys are just bored out of your freaken minds,

• sbg December 30, 2008, 3:17 PM

first of all no shirt ussually fits a man or woman exactly percisely know why? .bec idiots the fashion industry dosen’t custom make every shirt so unless u get ur shirts custom made ur shit outta luck. as for wearing labels and funky socks and glasses,some of us wore uniforms to school not dress code but uniforms! so guys shutup,its hard to be yourself in a school where u have to wear a uniform as apposed to a dress code. so bring on the funky socks and glasses! and thank g-d i graduated school a number of years ago and im free to wear what i damn well please.

• Murray Gewirtz September 25, 2011, 11:59 AM

You’re “free to wear what (you) damn well please,” but you’re not free enough to write “God” without the dash, as if the Creator of the Universe would really be bothered by your writing one of his English appelations, which evolved from a German one, without removing a letter.

• Crawling Axe December 30, 2008, 3:55 PM

Because in order to be yourself, you have to dress differently. Apparently, you’re so chitzoiniusdik that your appearance determines who you are.

This is why frum people dress in a penguin uniform — to deny themselves an opportunity to express who they are through something as superficial as clothes.

• yeah December 30, 2008, 4:32 PM

How do you express who you are without a chitzoiniosdike showing???

And why deny yourself that opportunity? Is that one of the 316 I totally misread???

And dont give me any Hassidic interpretations.

• sbg December 30, 2008, 5:05 PM

wtf? i didnt hide my personality… and wore wtvr socks i wanted. i actually got away with a lot of crap thank g-d. hee hee, but i understand why there was uniforms it def helps wth not feeling you must wear brandname threads and whatnot. i dont think however that id send my future kids to a school that wears uniforms.

• lapini December 30, 2008, 5:12 PM

sbg:
    I’m not going to argue that everyone should have custom-made clothes. I do think that if you’re going to invest money in your personal appearance, properly fitting clothes (which can mean a $15 shirt and ten minutes with a sewing machine) should come before flashy glasses. Well fitting clothes look and feel right. Function AND form, all in one!

If you’re out of school, you certainly are welcome to dress however you please. But don’t confuse switching one set of rules for another with being nonconforming. If you wear jeans and a t shirt every day, then you’re doing well. I mean, you’d have to be, to dress like that and still be taken seriously. But if you buy fashion brands over quality brands (trust me, they rarely overlap, and never at the price points where buying an ill-fitting ready-to-wear shirt is an option) – you’re an idiot. A poorly dressed idiot.

yeah:
    Why does your personal expression have to be through clothes? Unless you’re making your own, in which case all the power to you, you’re really buying into someone else’s ideas.

And don’t make it about Hassidic anything. Conservative dress is a tznius thing, which applies to men and women. Not just in clothing, but in everything we do.

It’s not just a Jewish thing. There’s a reason that there’s a general dress code in all regions of the world – and formal dress is muted. People who have substance don’t need bright green glasses.

• lapini December 30, 2008, 5:16 PM

sbg:
    You do realize that your awesome bright red socks looked silly? And that although you felt so great that you were skirting the rules, you dressed like a child to do it?

Did it bother you to dress that way? Or did it bother you to dress that way because it was what everyone else wore?

• sbg December 30, 2008, 5:25 PM

i do actually know how to make my own clothes,in truth but umm i never made this about chasidshe anything that musta been someone eles point. dont get my point mixed up. jeans tee shirt? lol my fave kinda outfit.

• yeah December 30, 2008, 5:36 PM

Did my question mention one word about cloths?

Read my questions again, as it pertains to Crawling Axes’s comment, and then if you have an intelligent answer, be so kind and respond.

gosh

• sbg December 30, 2008, 5:41 PM

i figured! my sincerest apology.

• lapini December 30, 2008, 5:59 PM

Maybe my reading comprehension isn’t all that great, but I read a conversation like this:

Crawlingaxe:
    Because in order to be yourself, you have to dress differently.
    That’s sarcasm. S/he is saying that you should have different outlets for your personal expression.

You then asked what those might be…

To which I answered that personal expression should actually be personal, not buying into someone else’s brand and image, etc. I also offered ways of personal expression that are, you know, personal.

Please let me know where I went wrong.

• yeah December 30, 2008, 6:16 PM

Read the next sentence, that’s the one I was referring to, and his whole comment in total; that its not proper express your individuality, however one does that, cloth, or whatever.

• suitepotato December 30, 2008, 6:44 PM

What’s next? Equating one’s inherent worth, holiness, capacity for serious scholarship with their nose, their hair, their warts?

If a focused man could debate theology in a strip club without a thought of all that flesh, and a focused man can, then a focused man can discuss theology with a man with bright green glasses.

As the cubicle sign says, we must all join together in lockstep solidarity in the fight against conformity.

• suitepotato December 30, 2008, 6:47 PM

And yes, those glasses are ugly, but I also hated that black leather thin strip tie fad in the 80s so I’m getting those skin crawling sensations and flashing on pre-90s Rick Springfield, and Devo, and “new wave” fashions.

• lapini December 30, 2008, 6:57 PM

yeah:
    The next sentence, and the post as a whole, only dismisses expression through clothes, not expression full stop.
    I’m not going to argue for a penguin look, but I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment.
    Clothing are a bad outlet for expression because most of the time you’re buying into a brand or image, trying to look like something you’re not.

Well dressed people find a style that defines them, and they’ll often keep it for years and decades – the antithesis of the ‘fashion’ world.

As I’ve mentioned, the reasoning there should apply to Yeshiva as well.

• Former Teacher December 30, 2008, 11:53 PM

Does he have a different pair that he wears to weddings and Bar Mitzvahs? I do.

• Charnie January 1, 2009, 5:37 PM

Chofetz Chaim (all branches except Brooklyn) prides itself on not being a white shirt place.

• LonelyMan January 1, 2009, 7:04 PM

Anyone wondering if those glasses are good for picking up Seminary girls at frummie kegger parties? It seems like this guy is a fan of the Mystery method…standing out like a peacock to get the attention of girls. I would almost bet he only wears it in Yeshiva as proof positive of his (attempt or success) in his conquests.

• Frum Satire January 1, 2009, 7:36 PM

Lonely man where are there frummy kegger parties

• Frum Punk January 3, 2009, 7:17 PM

Ah, trying to stand out in a Chofetz Chaim yeshiva… them were the days. I used to get away with wearing green jeans in high school. Seems that as long as they werent blue they werent recognised as jeans.

And I remember the Hilfiger shirts that someone else mentioned very well. I doubt styles have changed much since I graduated in 03.

• LonelyMan January 3, 2009, 10:51 PM

Heshy, I have actually been at one here in LA, but this was way before I was frum. My friend knew a frum quasi-OTD Jew, and I tagged along for the hell of it, simply in being interested, and I actually did do a kickstand there. There’s an awesome picture somewhere on the internets of me and a bunch of people there, including the most Chassidic looking guy I had seen in the time, big beard and all, throwing up the bird.

• ghmdnv April 11, 2010, 12:51 AM

I actually know that guy personally I just saw him this shabbos

• Methadone Withdrawl April 21, 2013, 5:00 AM

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for your weblog. You have some really good posts and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please shoot me an email if interested.
    Many thanks!

• The Best Electronic Cigarettes May 7, 2013, 8:43 AM

Hello, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog site in Opera, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some
    overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, fantastic blog!

• beard shaving oil October 6, 2013, 8:05 AM

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found
    that it’s really informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels.

I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Lots of people
    will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

• Antony Levine October 7, 2013, 3:59 PM

That look goes well w/ anyone guy who is trying the modern hipster look. : )