Why does the service at Best Buy suck so much?

I have come to the conclusion after many hours spent on line at Best Buy that they simply suck. Best Buy probably feels that they have a monopoly on electronics, which they do in many cities, that they can just suck and no one can do a thing about it.

I went to the Best Buy at the Palisades Mall in Rockland County once to get some more Ram added to my laptop, I waited patiently on a line of merely 4 people, it seemed to take hours – although it was only 35 minutes or so – still a long wait for 4 people, its not like they were at a check out line with a cashier in training who didn’t know the correct price codes for loose garlic. This was the Geek Squad we are talking about, shouldn’t an entity who calls themselves the Geek Squad be more inclined to help people out? Geeks are quick aren’t they?

I watched in horror as person after person in line took longer then needed, complaints about their Ipods malfunctioning and simple questions about their protection policies took way longer then needed. Then the guy in front of me who was simply there to pick his computer up – why he needed to wait behind people with real issues is beyond me – got into a shouting match when the person behind the counter told him his computer wasn’t ready yet. I could feel his pain as he screamed “give me a break” and “I just got a call from you guys this afternoon” to the graceful responses of “I am sorry sir – how about a free 6 month contract with AOL” It was disheartening to say the least and I wondered if my simple installation of ram would take 6 weeks as well.

I wanted to tell the man that the protection policy of Best Buy was just another way to get you into the store to buy more things you didn’t need, seriously, imagine you are waiting on line – natural tendency will carry you over to the DVD section and suddenly you have more items you never intended to buy, luckily I am poor and cant really afford much in Best Buy.

Have you ever tried to get help with a question from one of the blue shirt floor people at Best Buy?

Its an absolute nightmare, they walk around with their ear pieces pretending to be in some sort of minimum wage secret service. “Hey excuse me” will get responses like one hand gripping the earpiece in their ear and the other hand waving you off as if something more important then you figuring out if the headset you are holding works with Cingular cell phones. It’s a horrible experience.

One time I went to Best Buy to get a new car radio installed, they broke my dashboard while doing it and claimed that I broke it, I went to Circuit City the next time I needed a car radio and they did a wonderful job. I always feel like the underdogs have to provide better service in order to compete with the monopolistic bastards who run the show.

• Phil December 28, 2008, 12:51 PM

What do you expect from guys that are earning minimum wage? You think service is bad in those stores, come up to Canada and try to get some service, you’ll be going home praising Best buy.

• Bsamim Smoker December 28, 2008, 1:44 PM

As a great person once said Demand=Product=Money, all the petty little logistical things between product and money( properly marketing product so people buy it in your store as apposed to competition’s),transport of product from factory to living room,warranties(part of marketing,except for faulty product which might fall under Legal),customer service etc…..are all things that mean the product is going to cost more money because of overheads .Now, token Corporate-big-wig tries to keep these overheads to a minimum(i.e. by hiring untrained minimum wage workers)in order to keep prices of product down(overheads get absorbed into cost of product) so he can have lower prices than his competition.BASICALLY COSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS. If you want improve customer service stop comparing prices and start comparing customer service. No one says:”I got X at store Y because the customer service at store Y is better than Store Z”.more times than not it’s “I got X at store Y because it costs less than store Z”.Corporate big wig knows that and wont stop screwing us on customer service until we prove we care.

Note to minimum wage worker: Please educate yourself on product knowledge or other things you have to know about the job. We know it’s not your fault you weren’t properly trained, but show us all your better than the money grubbing pigs that hired you.

• Michal bas Avraham December 28, 2008, 1:48 PM

“they walk around with their ear pieces pretending to be in some sort of minimum wage secret service. ”

LOL!!

I used to work, well temp for this place called digivision that does (did?? this was, after all, December 2000. That’s 8 years ago) satellite installations for major stores. I was on the Worst Buy team. Their stuff was always such a mess. We would talk to their nice people from corporate who had no idea why their people didn’t know what they were doing.

• Bsamim Smoker December 28, 2008, 2:05 PM

Michal
    I have never heard of digivision but I’m sure there a lot worse than Best Buy.If Best Buy doen’t have good CS who does?

• Zoli December 28, 2008, 3:27 PM

The reason the customer support sucks so much is because they came to this country on a floating door.

If only you would have bought a mac and went to the apple store…

By the way, RAM is ridiculously overpriced in store.

Look up your RAM type on 4allmemory.com and just install it yourself. Its really simple.

If you’re in the 5 Towns area I can help you out

• Former Teacher December 28, 2008, 5:54 PM

It could be worse.

Next time you need any installation/maintenance/upgrade, call your friends and inquire First.

• sporadic intelligence December 28, 2008, 6:03 PM

You just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

My laptop just conked on me, and I bought it from…Best Buy…is this really what I have to look foward to?

• veebee December 28, 2008, 7:31 PM

If you are on a tight budget, you should have bought ram online and installed it yourself. I’m positive you could find a step-by-step guide on the interwebs, explaining how to install ram on a laptop.

• Anonymous December 28, 2008, 7:36 PM

I went to the Best Buy in Bensonhurst and the sales people tried to sell me a laptop that was already sold to someone else. I ended up hagling at PC Richards and got a better deal and what I actually wanted. I am a fan of J&R though and am fortunate enough to work walking distance from it.

• Jelen December 28, 2008, 8:20 PM

i’m actually a computer idiot and someone walked me through how to install ram myself…i’m way confident i could do it. super easy.

• Texgator December 29, 2008, 11:10 AM

Bsamim Smoker is correct. I worked for a major national retailer that commissioned a study on buying behaviors. When asked what factor was most important in a buying decision a very large majority answered “Price”. Other possible answers like “Selection”, “Service”, “Availability of Size or Color”, etc. barely registered in comparison with Price. As the operator of a retail store that wants to do lots of business….and Best Buy’s model doesn’t work unless they do tons of volume….the customer tells you regularly that they only care about price. So you give them what they want…..great prices and little else.

• Bsamim Smoker December 29, 2008, 1:07 PM

the name says it all “Best Buy” not “Best Service” not “Best Empolyee Competance” not “Best I Won’t Try To Push You On An Extended Warantee Because If The Product Is Truly Faulty It Will Break Within The Time Limit Of Free Factory Warantee”not “Best Delivery Service”(something you will need if the product won’t fit in your car)

• Texgator December 29, 2008, 1:57 PM

Actually, they wanted to go with the one about Extended Warrantees but it didn’t fit on the sign.

• Bsamim Smoker December 29, 2008, 2:03 PM

Little peice of advice:the next time a “Customer Service Professional” tries to quick sell you an extended warantey ask two questions 1.Isn’t there a free factory waranty? if the answer is “Yes” you know he’s ripping you off and say your not interested. Usually the answer is “Yes, but the factory waranaty is only for X amount of time , however the extended wanranty will cover you after X until Y”. Then ask him “Do you have statistial information about the average life expectancy if the product, for example a consumer report?”Usually we are dealing with a minimum age employee who will get shocked out of his box because none of his previous customers were intelligent enough to ask such a question and his boss probably never educated him on the life expectancy of every single product, so he will say somthing like”Sorry sir I have no idea”. That’s when you go for the juggular and respond “than how the hell do you know that Ill need a waranty beween X and Y,before X Im covered anyway and after Y the extended warantee expires”than make some comment about how the training in the shop sucks and tell him to go back to high school

• lapini December 30, 2008, 6:04 PM

Once you know, you Newegg.

Never before has a self-promoting slogan been so accurate.

• Rob Hood December 31, 2008, 10:22 PM

I buy my computers from an independent who builds them for me. His main business is service and I rarely have to wait more than 24 hours to get my computer back. His warranty is one year. Unlike Best Buy or Comp USA his warranty means something and his service technicians are superb. Additionally I’m not getting crappy parts that come with the usual Compaq or HP computers.

• Bsamim Smoker January 1, 2009, 5:07 PM

Rob Hood
    Why don’t you give your friend a plug

• runtheplacered January 19, 2009, 3:24 PM

Lately I like to point out the stupidest thing I read in the week. This is pretty close, “Geeks are quick aren’t they?”

It’s also kind of hard to listen to a rant by somebody who won’t take the time to install ram in their laptop (which is easier then a desktop.) Or from somebody who would buy ram from Best Buy in the first place. Or talk to their geek squad for that matter.

• Bsamim Smoker January 19, 2009, 4:04 PM

runtheplacered
    not everyone is computer savvy like you are.

• jeffdoshmall June 21, 2009, 1:05 PM

“It’s also kind of hard to listen to a rant by somebody who won’t take the time to install ram in their laptop (which is easier then a desktop.)”
    runtheplacered, first of all if he bought his computer at the store “best buy” then puts ram in on his own, he just voided his manufacture warranty because he is not a licensed tech. clearly stated in the warranty info given within the box. so like yourself i like to point out peoples dumb comments too. ; ) also i have worked in these retailers myself and i was being paid $15 an hour plus bonuses and granted it was the late circuit city (god rest) but i had to be specifically trained all year long on products and if you do read consumer reports they tell you that extended warranties on laptops that cover physical damage are worth buying only if they are not more than 1/3 the total price of the laptop because your manf. warranties NEVER cover physical damage. aka beer on the keyboard, drops, monitor cracks. << which cost more than your laptop itself when bought separately best buy does have a manf. product search on the bottom of their page where you can purchase these parts straight from the manf.

• jeffdoshmall June 21, 2009, 1:09 PM

boo ya bitches, but yea i am a nerd who does sped entirely too much time looking up info on these things anyways, and was the best trained assoc. at the store i worked which is why i have 3 laptops all sony for free caching. and a 52 inch sony z5100, and a 52 inch sammy a650 still the highest rated tv at over a year old all for free.

• Bridget July 13, 2009, 6:58 AM

I actually work customer service at Best Buy, I have to follow company policy, it’s not up too me… but a lot of people act like it is. Plus, you try smiling after being screamed at for three hours about a television i can’t return because they CLEARLY shipped it to peurto rico and back with crummy handling service and is now shot with holes.

• scaatylobo March 1, 2017, 4:34 PM

Best way to “pay back” the best buy stores is to let EVERYONE YOU KNOW,that buying from them is a shame and a waste of money as far as any chance of getting satisfaction for a POS that they sell.
    IF they are hit in the pocketbook enough,they will either improve – or go out of business.
    They screwed me and I had just spent over 3800.00 dollars in their store.
    Not about to spend another cent with them.

• fred February 12, 2019, 1:11 PM

Best Buy is horrible!! They have absolutely no customer service and I think that they could care less! Don’t buy anything at Best Buy!!!