Crown Heights Simchas Bais Hoshoeva: Photos and Thoughts

I arrived in Crown Heights at 11:30pm last night, jacked up on an almond snickers bar and some mountain dew I thanked the Lord for convincing me to take a nap earlier in the day so that I could have the energy to drive all the way to Crown Heights at such a late hour. A quick check with Nemo on facebook chat revealed that I shouldn’t miss out on the infamous all night Chabad simchas beis hashoeva. He also mentioned that it wouldn’t be pumping until 1 in the morning or so, so I hopped in my car and sped from Monsey to Brooklyn.

I was at the simchas bais hashoeva in Crown Heights when I was in high school, it was known as a huge hangout and I just wanted to see what went down- so me and a friends went wandering- I bet you if I had a video camera it would have been much more fun. Video camera in hand I set out to check out the scene.

The first thing I started to notice was that Crown Heights is meshichist territory, being that I am mostly exposed to the anti-yechi crowds of upstate NY I started snapping pictures of everything that proclaimed the Rebbe zt”l is not only alive but is the moshiach. Big signs on the buildings, yarmulkes, flags, even the soda guys were yelling yechi to hawk their goods. I found it all a bit disturbing as many of you would have I am sure.

Most disturbing of all was the yechi paraphernalia tabel where they had everything you need to tell everyone that you are a messianic chabadnick. Flags, bumper stickers and rebbe water! First there was vitamin water- then there was rebbe water. Actually it was water from the rebbes mikvah, disgusting I know- but it was being sold right there next to the yarmulkes and rebbe wine. I wonder if they sell used paper towels and half eaten falafel that were eaten by the rebbe of course.

I did notice a lot of non-chabad chassidim rocking the streimels, spudicks, up hats and peyos. I thought it was a great mix and especially nice to see greasy yeshiva guys dancing with chabadnicks and satmar looking dudes. Achdus was in the air, and the night was just beginning.

Non-chabad chassidim thinking about crossing over to the yechi side:

I noticed a thorough effort being to keep the men and women separate. There was an extensive mechitza system set up that reminded me of a corn maze- but didn’t actually work to keep me out- because the pizza store to my delight was smack in the middle the women’s section. So many chabad cutties so little time. The pizza was quite good- it better have been because the line was out the door . I played Jewish geography with a fellow snag on line and we talked of old Brooklyn and how it used to be before the Yoilies and oreos moved in.

Then Jacob Da Jew showed up and we went wandering around the side streets and BT yeshivas in search of a fabrengin with booze. All we found were speeches in Hebrew with every other word being moshiach. Then we wound up at 770 and found the biggest pushka in the world- you dont believe me huh? It kind of had that slot machine feel- so many slots and so little money- then you realize that the holes probably all lead to the same place.

We also met the world famous Charlie Buttons in 770 who told us that it was built by the messiah himself and proceeded to give us a rant for my camera that ranged from moshiach to why Obama may be good or bad for the Jews. 770 is always a trip.

Me and Charlie Buttons

Then it was back to the scene, Jacob Da Jew was out and I was left alone amidst a scene that reminded me of the mid 90s in Woodbourne or Ave J. It was so funny, everyone was 10 years younger then me, smoking up a storm- guys giving each other fist bumps and bro hugs. Girls screeching upon seeing their friends. No idea if its a chabad thing or not- but all of the girls wear the same exact boots, they appear to be suede, furry on the inside and brown- they also look very comfortable- although I found them hideous in the looks department.

It was a classic off the derech, yeshiva rebel, kids at risk- we need Rabbi Horowitz to write an article about it type of scene. Everyone was smoking, cursing and talking about fighting with someone else. This was never my scene- as I used to in Israel- I stood at a corner and merely observed what was going on wiuth the occasional person coming up to me and saying “yo your that dude on you tube” or “I love your blog” which is always flattering but I was enjoying my time alone, alone and just merely observing the swarms of kids shifting and swarming around whatever was the next interesting incident.

They had these spray cans for sale, and kids were spraying each other and of course a fight broke out. Fights in these situations never escalate beyond people holding their friends back and yelling at each other that they are going to kick the crap out of them. Then the people involved in the fight lunge at each other and some sort of authority whether it be a huge chossid, shomrim guy or police officer stops the fight and everyone disperses before anything actually happens.

I found the entire scene interesting, but what was even more interesting was the demographic makeup of the crowd. You had the “scene” with all these off the derech types mixing with some modern chabad kids and so on. Then you had a whole bunch of non-chabad chassidim standing around on the other end of the intersection- which was at Kingston and Crown streets. These non-chabad chassidim lets call them satmars- even though I remember hearing some conversation about puppa- I kind of view chassidim like I view Asians, they are all the same- even though there are hundreds of sects. To me its Satmar or Chabad- with a few of the more popular ones mixed in. Ethnocentrism you may call it.

So you have all these chassidim, and then in the middle you have this mix of yeshivish misnagdishe types, chabadnicks and modern orthodox. It was a big mix with the male to female ratio being about 10 to 1 similar to that of the Yukon or Labrador. Shidduch crisis my ass!

I wasn’t really sure what to make of all this besides for the fact that I love people watching and it was satisfying that need. Even better was that I had my trusty digital camera and was snapping away and taking footage of the scene. But the inevitable fights broke out, which was so unfortunate- because I just hate to see anyone fighting, especially Jews- but as said before the fight never escalated beyond “suck this” or “kiss that” and thank God for that. But let me tell you there was this one shaved head dude getting into it with these big mean looking Satmar guys and everyone was telling them to go back to their neighborhoods and all these Tuna Beigels were just hanging around and I was kind of wondering what on earth all these married chassidim were doing out at 4am away from their families- hanging around a bunch of 16 year olds.

Then the infamous Leah Kleim showed up and things got interesting. Leah Kleim is a chabad women who is involved in a whole bunch of stuff including blogging about topics of a very sexual nature combined with chabad conspiracy and things of the sort. Lets just say that when she showed up I was shocked to see full in garb chassidim coming up to her and saying “oh hey your leah right” weird I know. Anyway- some little chabad kid in this pimp kapota started up with her and a shouting match ensued. Most of which was caught on tape- but will not be put online. Then she started filming all these people who were encircling her all the while creaming at her to go to hell and other unmentionables- I do wonder if this sort of thing only takes place during the chabad simchas bais hashoeva- or is this a constant thing- all this fighting and negativity.

Leah Kleim is the one with red scarf on her head- the guy she is filming is screaming at her. Notice the cop in the back round with a big smile on his face,

Overall it was an interesting affair- I have some footage which I took for my self but it cannot be published, however I do have some footage which will be published eventually when I get around to it. The dancing was way fun by the way- Jacob took some footage of me dancing with these little chabad kids and doing the light bulb dance as well.

• TRS October 19, 2008, 5:00 PM

CH Chay V’Kayom!

• Nemo October 19, 2008, 6:08 PM

Yo, I’m glad you enjoyed yourself. BTW, I don’t know who this Captain Nemo who you linked to and I can’t imagine why he would chose the same stupid name as my blog, but that’s not me … I’m nemosramblings.blogspot.com. Oh, and also, it goes until 6AM every night, but really rocks until at least 3-4.

BTW, you probably heard it a lot last night, and I will second anyone who told it to you, that Simchas Beis is really nothing like what Crown Heights usually is.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s definitely a very modern young crowd, and even patches of kids that are totally frey, and on a nice summer night you’re bound to find a couple guys and girls chilling on someones front porch somewhere around the neighborhood …

But it really isn’t the whole hangout scene that you might take away from just a night at Simchas Beis. Really, that stuff doesn’t go down regularly in CH.

It’s only like that for a few nights a year, and it’s become an annual nightmare for some residents. It’s partially caused by the crowd drifting in from the many other neighborhoods for the reputed Chabad shindig, partially because of the alcohol, partially because everyone else is doing it … Oh, and then you sprinkle a little pot into that mix.

Yes, every year there is a fight or two between some drunk kids, occasionally with an arrest for good measure. I’ve seen kids that were hardly frum threaten to kill some Chassidishe guy who insulted “our Rebbe.” Things get rowdy and people, for better or for worse, love it when this time of year comes …

The Mishichistim aren’t either as popular in CH as a visit to Simchas Beis would make it seem. It’s mostly the Israeli crowd that converges on Crown Heights for Tishrei that makes the yellow banners et al, seem so ubiquitous.

But honestly, despite a hell of a lot of crap, I feel that somewhere on the block between Crown and Montgomery Sts. something special is happening. I spent most of my teenage years there, slightly inebriated, dancing until the police forced us off the street for morning traffic.

P. S. As far as the boots go, I quite like girls in boots, so we’ll have to agree to disagree!

• Es October 19, 2008, 7:01 PM

“all of the girls wear the same exact boots, they appear to be suede, furry on the inside and brown- they also look very comfortable- although I found them hideous in the looks department.”

do u mean Uggs?

• Phil October 19, 2008, 7:51 PM

Great post, brought back good memories. Last time I was in CH for succos was when the Rebbe was still alive. Interesting to read how some things change and some things never change.

I remember the “good old days” of no mechitzas, Shemtov trying to avoid mingling, Charlie Buttons running around, and Leah Kleim in the alleys in her younger days. Teenage “rebels” smoking, cursing, fighting and chasing skirts, the chassidisher ones dancing drunk.

No matter what, everyone had a great time when it was all sais and done, sunrise meant it was bed time.

The only real difference is the massive yechi craze, it was virtually non existent 20 years ago.

To nemo:

Those residents that find it a nightmare today, are very likely yesteryears party animals that did the same thing. I guess what goes around, comes around.

• Anonymous October 19, 2008, 8:05 PM

It’s true hat the chasidim are a little too extreme, and its probably shocking to people who don’t live in crown heights. I dont blame you for making fun of them.

But -Im surprised that you of all people can be so disrespectful when it comes to the Rebbe. Im sure the rebbe didnt eat falafels and if he did, they wouldnt be “half-eaten” (baal taschis).

• Frum Satire October 19, 2008, 8:22 PM

Nemo the link is fixed- and yes I did notice a lot of Israelis- in fact the two fabrengins we went to were in Hebrew.

Es thank you- but why does everyone wear the same exact boots?

Phil- I wonder if there are any non-Jews that live in the apartments along Kingston

Anon- I am not really making fun- I am merely observing.

• Nemo October 19, 2008, 8:35 PM

I feel like such an ass right now, because I just realized that a friend of mine has his annual birthday bash last night … good folks over there; normal too, at least as normal as you can expect in CH … a mix of over-the-hill yeshiva bochurim, Touro guys and other people wondering when they’re going to snatch the girl of their dreams ….

Phil- I suppose when people have kids they realize that something about the scene is a little intense for even a non-Orthodox environment. But then there are others that I’m sure have always been disgusted by what the saw.

• Nemo October 19, 2008, 8:43 PM

Interestingly, no one – to the best of my knowledge – has ever called that pizza shop “good.”

Although they’re improved drastically over the years from when your mound of partially baked cheese would plop off it’s greasy base, but they’re really horrible. And, they add sugar or something to the sauce which makes it really disgusting.

It was tolerable when it was still $1.50 a slice, but not anymore.

• Phil October 19, 2008, 8:57 PM

Anon – Why wouldn’t the Rebbe eat falafels? Do you think he stuck to strictly gefilte fish and herring? I’m sure he didn’t leave any leftovers.

Frum Satire – Don’t know who lives in those Kingston Apts. Any non Jew living there must be really tolerant or crazy, that place is noisy more often than not. Most of my friends lived on the other streets, can’t remember any living on Kingston.

Nemo – SBH in CH was never a kid friendly place after 1:00 AM. The parents that wanted their kids there brought them early and took them home early. An outsider can easily be disgusted or shocked by the “after hours” scene there, but on the bright side of things, these kids might very well be getting into worse things somewhere else. Just because some guys get drunk / high,chase some skirts around or scream obsceneties out loud doesn’t make them horrible people, they are simply “misguided” as many of us were at that age.
    Where things get ugly is when fights break out. I remember groups of teens at SBH pulling knives and bats on other groups, usually for no good reason (sinas chinam between locals, Brits, French and Israelis). Then you had the oddball packing a piece. Big chillul Hashem, especially when the cops had to intervene.

• anonymous and proud October 19, 2008, 9:00 PM

Oh, now I feel really good about allowing my sheltered 15 year old to go to the UWS for Simchas Torah.

She will be staying with a friend & her family, but still … as my husband recalls from the days of our youth, it’s a singles bar organized around hakafos.

• Phil October 19, 2008, 9:07 PM

PS.

Anon,

Falafels are against eating etiquette outlined in the Shulchan Aruch as are most sandwiches. Kitzur clearly says that one shouldn’t eat directly from a portion larger than the size of an egg, which includes most of today’s fast food such as pizza, burgers, franks, subs and falafels.

So in theory the Rebbe (and anyone else) would have to have eat a “falafel plate” with fork and knife. Not sure why restaurants are allowed to serve these types of foods if they are clearly against shulchan aruch, check with your local rabbi to know how we get away with it.

• Frum Satire October 19, 2008, 9:08 PM

You know what- I love doughy thick pizza- most people like thin and crunchy- having to bump butts in the womens section was also cool

• Phil October 19, 2008, 9:20 PM

Have to agree with nemo. that pizza shop was about the worst place to eat in CH, tied with Mermelsteins (don’t know if they still exist). The other alternatives were Ess N bech or buying Entenmans and Heineken at the local Bodegas. Staying with bachelor friends it was either that or going out of CH to eat.

• sk October 19, 2008, 9:22 PM

This is why I avoid Crown Heights. It’s too messianic. Haven’t been there in over a year, and I’m sad to see that the heresy continues to hold strong in the ‘hood.

• Joe October 19, 2008, 9:24 PM

Excellent post. You’ve captured the scene well.

Don’t ask me how I know this but the boots are uggs, and any girl who tries to be cool wears them.

In Albany, all the Long Island posers wore them.

• Chris_B October 19, 2008, 9:26 PM

Hesh, those fur lined suede boots are a global problem. Very popular here in Tokyo and yes they look terrible.

• Es October 19, 2008, 9:44 PM

Uggs are super comfortable and warm. try on a pair and ull see!!!!
    theyre like $165, so i guess its a status symbol? theyve been “in” for a while. if u wear them, ur “cool”.
    i always said i would never get them (i hate wearing Uggly (yeayea old joke) things just cuz its trendy) but then i tried them on and couldnt help myself.

• Frum Satire October 19, 2008, 9:54 PM

I guess its one more thing I can use to weed out the followers from the individuals…

• shevers October 19, 2008, 10:21 PM

Its a really big thing for Israelis especially to go to CH for Tishrei… most of the meshichistim you saw were Tzfat transplants…

• Nemo October 19, 2008, 10:26 PM

Hesh – Where’ve you been for the last five years man? Uggs are frikking old. It’s totally not a Lubavitch thing …. go walk around any undergraduate campus.

Phil – Judgmentalism has always been one of the unpleasant pastimes in every Frum neighborhood. The fact is, no one looks at a group of kids doing sleazy things and assumes that they’re just kids having a good time. Whether what kids are doing is justified or not, it offends communal values.

My impression is that it particularly bothers Crown Heightsers on SBH for two reasons:

1. They would’ve never believed that their kids did that kind of stuff.

2. SBH is the one time of year that Crown Heights/Lubavitch really gets to welcome people and show the rest of the frum world what they’re all about, and here you have all of these teens making this sideshow and showing the not-so-pretty side of CH.

Anyway, Mermelstein’s is still around, somehow. The one time that I ate there was in the late afternoon on Hoshana Rabah a few years ago, when everything else was closed. Ess N’ Bentch hasn’t been around in … well, let’s just say that my father speaks about it nostalgically.

• Es October 19, 2008, 10:34 PM

was that u calling me a follower?

go to a department store and try on Uggs. then we’ll see who the follower is.

• shevers October 19, 2008, 10:45 PM

It actually threw me off once I realized every single Chabad girl has uggs. Because for years all the suburban blonde-dyed mini skirt wearing girls were the ones who owned uggs…

• Chossid October 19, 2008, 11:18 PM

Crown Heights is NOT meshichist territory. Most mishichisten concentrate together in one place and make alot of noise and so it might seem that way. But even in 770 at any given time (maybe aside from tishrei when the israelis are there) there are no more than 1/4 (and this is a very liberal estimate) singing that song.

• abandoning eden October 20, 2008, 7:38 AM

yeah uggs were reallly popular among the rich and spoiled undergrads on my campus around 4 years ago. Back then the uggs they were buying were hundreds of dollars, and were a big status symbol. Now I guess the fashion has ‘trickled down’ to the chassidic community. I haven’t seen any on campus this year yet, I think they are starting to fall out of favor. The micro skirt trend is still going strong though.

• Phil October 20, 2008, 8:42 AM

Nemo,

I agree that it’s unfortunate that these kids leave bad impressions on visitors and some of the locals. However, I always got worse impressions from all the rude people in 770. When 10,000 guests showed up from around the world to see the Rebbe for hakafos or farbrengens, instead of treating people like guests, you had locals getting into fist fights over a place to stand. I never understood why the Rebbe never just stopped hakafos to ask people to behave.

Today, I truly believe the yechi crowd offends more visitors on a daily / yearly basis than a couple of drunk kids once a year. All sort of people pass through every day, 770 has become almost like a freak show. I’ve been there only once since gimmel tammuz, I got stuck in traffic on the way in and had to catch a 10:00 AM minyan. I was shocked to see these people crowding the shtender, then singing yechi and making a space as if the Rebbe were still walking through.

When I do visit NY, I always make a point to visit the Ohel, where I believe the Rebbe is buried. I find it strange that people make a bigger deal out of 770.

PS I remember when Ess n Bench closed, it was almost a national tragedy.

• chanief October 20, 2008, 9:28 AM

Oh wow, thanks for reminding me why I almost never go back to CH. Your post does bring back many fond SBH memories though, back before the Yechi nonsense was so pervasive, so thanks for that.

I happen to have been in CH this past summer to take my kids to the Jewish Children’s Museum, and I found the Yechi garbage to be alive and kicking on a “regular” day in CH.

I was dressed inappropriately for a shul and didn’t want to go into 770 at first, but when I saw the huge Yechi sign inside I realized that my jeans were far more respectful than what was already going on in 770… until someone tried to be mekarev me, which was pretty funny but hard to explain to my seven year old…

So, while I agree with those who say it’s not usually as bad as you saw the other night, it’s still going pretty strong on a regular basis. It’s just a disgusting embarsssment to Chabad and The Rebbe that has done much more harm than good.

• Phil October 20, 2008, 9:38 AM

Chanief,

Your story reminded me me of another similar situation. My non observant brother in law decided to visit 770 to see what it was all about. Up to that point, he had been to several Chabad houses across the US and had always enjoyed being welcomed despite his non observance. As he walks in to 770 without a kippah, some yechi freak comes at him screaming to get out unless he puts a yarmulka, and that 770 is the beis hamikdash, how dare you come in bare headed?
    My brother in law asked for a kippah, the guy tells him that there aren’t any, so he left disgusted, wondering why the headquarters of worlwide outreach doesn’t have spare kippahs at the door like any other shul.

• Anonymous October 20, 2008, 9:56 AM

this is upsetting embarressing and offensive, that there are so many negative opinions about my people…

• Creaming at her October 20, 2008, 10:02 AM

“Then she started filming all these people who were encircling her all the while creaming at her…”
    Creaming at her? Funniest typo ever. lmao

• Doggie Fizzle October 20, 2008, 10:19 AM

YO DAWGS!!!

Check out my post on the CH SBH with hesh, video of hesh rockin included:

• Frum Satire October 20, 2008, 10:53 AM

Anonymous- these are not anti chabad opinions-in fact almost every commenter on this post is chabad . They are just anti the messianic movement which is similar to Christianity- although I may add that I have never seen Jesus water.

• shaul October 20, 2008, 11:53 AM

two things hesh, one, the video of you dancing is hysterical, and two, yechiniks bugs me as much as they bug anyone else, but they are still yidden, lafukei m’d’elokistin who think the rebbe is the borei olom.

• shevers October 20, 2008, 1:06 PM

Dude come one theres got to be Jesus water…

• C. Siegel October 22, 2008, 1:37 PM

“…He’s dead, Jim.”

• Nemo October 22, 2008, 7:46 PM

To be fair, kippahs wouldn’t last very long next to the door in 770. But I promise you that you can get someone to pull their kippah off from under their hat.

• Phil October 22, 2008, 8:51 PM

Nemo,

That angry individual could always have offered his own yarmy, but instead he chose to chase away an interested jew. Not much of an outreach tactic, sounds more like satmar style, although I must say that the satmars in Seagate once offerd me hagba when I davened there one morning, despite have a trimmed beard and no “lange payis”.

• Nemo October 22, 2008, 9:15 PM

Look man, I’ve got no personal knowledge of what happened, nor do I know either of the parties, but there are a million and one subjective questions that I’d want answered before pointing fingers at anyone.

• Cat October 22, 2008, 11:36 PM

How are you able to weed out the individuals based on their uggs? what if people hate the way they look but are going to look past that so they can be warm? they really are quite cozy…especially whe n your sleeping outside in the fresh cold air. ha ha. random again. anyways, it seems like you had a good time in good old crownheights. shame i missed it.

• Leah Kleim October 23, 2008, 10:18 AM

Great post hesh- thanks for the shoutout.

Wheres the picture of my tattoo???

• Chossid October 23, 2008, 2:10 PM

I got an aliyah for krias hatorah yesterday, simchas torah, 5 minutes before shkiah. 770 rocks.

Mind you, I and most of the people at that kria had davened shacharis with the main minyan but just couldn’t hear the baal korei because there were 9 million people in the shul.

• Phil October 23, 2008, 8:36 PM

Nemo,

I wasn’t trying to point fingers at anyone, I simply wrote the story exactly as my brother in law told it to me, along with his impressions. I have given my kippah to people when they walked into our shul without one, on more than one occasion.

My original point was relating to being more offended by rude CH natives than by a few drunks kids at SBH. Again, I’m not trying to negate all the hachnosas orchim that went on and probably still goes on there, I had total strangers open there doors to me many times as I have no relatives in CH.

SBH was always a great time for me personally, I can’t say I had any bad or negative experiences, despite some hotheads getting into useless fights with each other.

• Nemo October 23, 2008, 9:27 PM

I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that there’s a large number of Chabadniks who I would lock up in 770 and throw the away the key on … kinda like a mutant half-brother in the basement.

Re: 770. It’s a shame that the place, as well as being the shul, yeshiva, headquarters and bazillion other functions that it serves, hasn’t become an active welcoming center in the way that the Ohel and Chabad Houses are.

For what it’s worth, here’s an article that I just noticed: http://www.crownheights.info/index.php?itemid=13879

• Frum Satire October 23, 2008, 11:20 PM

Yo Nemo that is a crazy article- is the yechi vs. non-yechi really that violent and rough?

• Lubavitch October 24, 2008, 12:52 AM

Most meshichisten are 100% normal with just that one screw loose but it doesn’t affect anything else. Than there is that small group of bochurim from “the yeshiva” in tzfas. I was told by alumni of that yeshiva that the Rebbe instructed the Rosh yeshiva not to turn down any bochur which is why he takes the mishigoyim as well. Apparently most bochurim that come out of there go to the ohel and everything else but the few nutjobs that don’t make tremendous problems for everyone else.

• LEAH KLEIM October 24, 2008, 2:41 AM

Cute comment. but I didnt write it. (The one by leah Kleim)
    It was nice meeting you Hesh. I posted some more pics and I’m gonna write up my who;r tishrey story with videos and pics.

Enjoy !!

• LEAH KLEIM October 24, 2008, 2:41 AM
  • Nemo October 24, 2008, 7:31 AM

Hesh- The roughness tends to come from one side. These acts of violence don’t happen all that often, and you’re usually safe as long as you don’t impede/threaten anything that wasn’t taken over by the Meshichistim (i.e. Simchas Beis, 770). They have this thing for cutting microphone cords, throwing food and books, rioting and singing ‘Yechi’ obnoxiously when they encounter anybody notoriously anti. I’ve taken an egg for Rabbi Shemtov’s older brother, who is a well-respected Rabbi and a senior Shliach (he’s also got a few lawsuits going against that crowd).

Lubavitch- The few bochurim from Tzfat that are visiting the Ohel are going there to visit someone else …

• shevers October 24, 2008, 8:13 AM

Yeah most of them are from the Yeshivah Gedolah in Tzfat. I was in Tzfat for seminary last year and it was crazy….

They would have these huge marches down the midrihov motzoei shabbos singing and welcoming the geulah…. whatever. I also had a few teachers that studied there at some point… also interesting.

I wouldn’t say it’s always so violent, but the sides do feel that passionately.

• Phil October 24, 2008, 8:22 AM

Sad to say this, but I’m glad I don’t visit CH anymore. We have our own yechi crowd here, unfortunatly they run the yeshiva. Luckily they aren’t the crazy / violent type, most of them are really nice people. Crown heights always had the highest number of fanatics in regards to any issue, and those are always the ones you remember. The whole thing is a big shame and chillul Lubavitch. We used to have some respect among other chassidim, today we have become the “fool / court jester” of the frum world.

• Lubavitch October 24, 2008, 2:10 PM

This phenomenon is making moshiach muktza like those whatchemacallits that made studying tanach muktza.

Whenever I run into a frum non-Lubavitcher and talk about moshiach and the Rebbe’s announcement of the imminent geulah, I know exactly what’s going on in their head.

I cannot claim to speak for the Rebbe but I imagine this isn’t what he had in mind when he told us to spread news of the imminent redemption, mitokeif umiyad mamosh.

• Interesting October 24, 2008, 3:45 PM

Interesting article, i wonder if the Chabad Lubavitch websites Shmais CrownHeights.CH Col Chabad.info CH.info Shturem saw it.

• Simchas Beis Hashoeva October 24, 2008, 4:23 PM

You should see all the amazing pix of Simchas Beis Hashoeva in Crown Heights, it’s on http://www.CrownHeights.CH

• LEAH KLEIM November 6, 2008, 6:47 PM

Its avoida zorah

• Jelen November 11, 2008, 10:24 PM

yo, i totally saw charlie buttons in CH this weekend and tried to take a picture with my cell to text to you but he moved too fast!