Venting about the lone cop on the Brooklyn Bridge

So I don’t know how many of you people live in Brooklyn or ever have the opportunity to drive on one of the most beautiful suspension bridges anywhere, but for those of you who do- you will know exactly what this post is about. For those of you who don’t, you have to wait till tomorrow for another post.

When entering the Brooklyn Bridge from the Manhattan side you must merge with all the other traffic, whether its from the FDR or the streets, on the right side of the bridge 24 hours a day 7 days a week there sits a cop car with its lights flashing, with a cop sitting in the car on the cell phone. I have no idea what the cop must have done to receive that sort of punishment, but there is no where to even take a piss, let alone grab a donut and coffee.

But it just bothers me because it always slows down traffic, cost money and doesn’t do a damned thing. The guy is not there to pull people over, or to check for hazardous materials. All he does is sit there. Is there a point to this madness.

• Nemo September 16, 2008, 10:41 PM

Hahaha … unfortunately there’s many others of his breed in NYC.

While some cops get to fly helicopter and drive boats, and others get to go deep under cover in NYC’s underworld, these lucky guys got the sit-on-your-ass beat.

• AF September 16, 2008, 11:17 PM

He is a semi?human public servant: a mix between a stationary road element (a sign, a light, etc.) and a human being. They have people like that in Japan too (like this guy whose job is to hold a sign: http://www.tema.ru/travel/japan/IMG_7177.jpg).

• Ed September 16, 2008, 11:22 PM

they have the same thing on the entrance to the GWB up in the heights

• TRS September 17, 2008, 12:01 AM

Of course he does a damned thing! He gives you something to blog about. Now if that’s not worth a couple of tax dollars, then I don’t know what is.

• Lion of Zion September 17, 2008, 1:06 AM

this is all post 9/11. bridges/tunnels are all prime terrorist targets and they all have cops stationed there to monitor for this.

besides, what were you doing driving across the bridges? you should be walking or biking. it’s a beautiful walk; i’ve done it a few times with my son:
    click here

• Jacob da Jew September 17, 2008, 1:26 AM

Dude! Usually there isn’t even anyone IN the squad car!!

• Lion of Zion September 17, 2008, 1:32 AM

i knew it was too good to be true. my posts are blocked again. and what’s worse is that you’re letting jacob’s posts through! 🙂

• The Babysitter September 17, 2008, 7:55 AM

Sometimes they just have cars with dummie police man in them, so it’s just there to scare people to slow down with the speeding or be more careful when driving, when really know one is there. Or sometimes they just have a camera attached to the car and they could be watching what’s going on while being somewhere else.

• SA September 17, 2008, 7:57 AM

1) It is to make soccer moms feel good.

2) When the Arabs blow up the bridge, the mayor can save face by saying…”We were so prepared, we even had an officer on the bridge 24/7″

It’s all bullsh&t – 100% people.

• Free Ham September 17, 2008, 8:08 AM

Find out if its a mannequin or a robot inside. See what happens if you give him the finger.

• Frum Satire September 17, 2008, 10:44 AM

That mannequin was totally moving- unless it was a battery operated blow up doll- but I could have sworn I saw a real person- I just hope it wasn’t behind the doll.

• Chris_B September 17, 2008, 11:03 AM

LoZ,

I remember that cop pre 911, or is it a senior moment?

AF,

Lately I see more of the cut out human shape with a mechanical arm swinging the light, but if I’m really lucky, I’ll get that job after I retire.

• Acdc September 17, 2008, 2:05 PM

You’ve just discovered Brooklyn’s counter terrorist precaution. No terrorist or hijacked plane would ever hit a bridge if a police car is on it with flashing lights.