The Jewishness of the Obama and McCain campaigns

So we know that Sarah Palin is in fact not Jewish and if she was Jewish she would have been a Chabad Shaliachs wife because she’s got a lot going on. We also know that Michelle Obama has a cousin that converted to Judaism and is a Rabbi of an Ethopian Congregation in Chicago- actually Rabbi Capers Funnye has one of the funniest names of a Rabbi I have ever seen- so kudos to that. So both the Obama and McCain campaigns have some sort of Jewish connection, as I am sure there is some bunker somewhere that is researching any Jewish connection for the two presidential hopefuls- in fact the bunker resembles the bunker where Rabbi jokes are created.

Obama was a little weak when he inserted his note into the kotel, if anything, thats a reason not to vote for him. He didn’t know to lick it and then stick it to the other notes. Instead without practicing first Barak Obama tried for at least 30 seconds to insert the note into the kotel while some random guy was screaming Jerusalem is not for sale in the back round. I don’t think Obama listened by the way. Oh and then some yeshiva kid took the note out and sold it to an Israeli newspaper. It wasn’t even a cool note either.

Like all famous people of the moment- the media- which is run by the Jews apparently must find ways to connect the Jews to the famous people. Or find something anti-semitic that they may have said while standing at the urinal in high school or some other obscure location.

Unlike presidential elections of past- this election has created Jewish gear to go along with it. Obama and McCain both have yarmulkes created for them, so the next time Obama or McCain need to pander to AIPAC or the JDL, they can do it in style.

Maybe someone can create Sarah Palin sheitles or John McCain talis bags? There is so much opportunity themed items. Especially with succos and Rosh Hashanah- the holidays with the most paraphernalia.

For all you Republicans in the crowd there is also a McCain Kippah. Although I wonder how many of you would wear pink. Go to Vanity Kipah to actually buy these things.

• The Babysitter September 16, 2008, 4:02 PM

funny that they chose pink, I don’t think any conservative republicans would wear a pink yarmulka.

• Alternate Current September 16, 2008, 4:36 PM

Im a frequent reader, infrequent commentor. While on the topic of Obama, I wanted to share this insight on his CHANGE campaign.

Canya
    Help
    A
    N
    Get
    Elected

Btw, Whats the big deal with Obama, is it the first time you’ve seen a black man begging for change?

• suitepotato September 16, 2008, 4:37 PM

Is this deja vu, a copy of some other blog post, or am I seeing time non-linearly again? I was certain I read this post about two weeks ago.

• s(b.) September 16, 2008, 4:44 PM

Alternate Current, your words disgust me. If you’re Jewish, I hope you don’t wear a kippah. I wouldn’t want to be accidentally associated with someone who spews such scheissdreck.

Politics completely aside, I like the blue one better.

• Affroyam McDovid September 16, 2008, 4:49 PM

When I went to the site the McKippa was in royal blue. Maybe they had some complaints when it was pink.

• Free Ham September 16, 2008, 4:57 PM

I think you should visit Rebbi Funnye Jr.s congretation- that sounds like an adventure I would like to hear about.

• Frum Satire September 16, 2008, 5:14 PM

Hey SB I edited his comment down a bit.

I would love to chill with Rabbi Funnye

• utubefan September 16, 2008, 5:26 PM

That comment is horrible and weird, actually. Why would a person who doesn’t comment often choose that as an introduction.
    I found the black congregation on utube (of course) quite a while ago. It’s fun to watch parts of the service and interesting to learn about them. If you get on their site, there are links to his appearances on talk shows going back years. It’s great to learn about different kinds of people. They aren’t purporting to be a Jewish denomination, though. The Kippahs are okay. Isn’t there a teenager-run company called Kool Kippahs or something? We should support them.

• utubefan September 16, 2008, 5:28 PM

koolkippah.com
    Support our youth! They don’t just hang out at 7-11!

• s(b.) September 16, 2008, 6:48 PM
  • Free Ham September 16, 2008, 10:35 PM

A rabbi I knew long ago once told me that when he attended a synogogue in Etheopia, everyone kept telling him “Oh Really? Cause you don’t look Jewish!”

• jelen September 16, 2008, 11:10 PM

1. love the pictures. they really enhance the post!
    2. i can’t help but think that the McKippah is a brand new dish at my local fast food chain.

• AF September 16, 2008, 11:11 PM

I just had a dinner. Now I want to throw up. Thanks a lot.

What a chillul Hashem (not the post the kippas)!

• Yochanan September 17, 2008, 12:04 AM

“Rabbi” Funye’s congregation isn’t an actual “Ethiopian” congregation. They are a Black Hebrews cult that appropriates the Ethiopian label to give themselves legitamacy.

• Batya September 17, 2008, 2:34 AM

Funnye is a black who calls himself Hebrew, strange cult. they’re not Jewish at all.

I think one of the worst rabbi names is the chipmonk in GN, Dale.

• Phil September 17, 2008, 9:40 AM

These clowns are running a freak show. They claim “our way of life closely
    resembles those of the modern orthodox with clear conservative and African-American
    influences”. Meanwhile, they are more like karaites, they only “follow” biblical law, only when it’s convenient, mixing Negro traditions and views into one big smelly chulent.

They kippah are cute, just another attempt to capitalize on those that like to show off their political beliefs. I don’t get why people have to use a religious item to show beliefs other than Judaism. Other examples would be the “Yechi” kippahs, or NY Yankees, etc. What’s next, the Famous Pita tallis or the Kosher Delight shofar?

• Stella January 20, 2012, 9:20 PM

Thanks for introducing a little rtaioalntiy into this debate.

• Chris_B September 17, 2008, 11:09 AM

I’m going to a bar mitzvah this weekend of the son of an actual Ethiopian Jew. I hear that the world’s one and only Ethiopian conservative rabbi is gonna be there for the lunch afterwards.

BTW I’m so glad I’m 7000 miles away from this election! Just seeing it by Internet is enough to make me almost not want to vote.

• open minded and kind September 17, 2008, 1:31 PM

Alternate Current your comment is absolutely embarrassing and a huge part of what is wrong with our society.. I’m very sad for you.

• open minded and kind September 17, 2008, 1:35 PM

Phil your comment is just as “heartfelt” as Alternate Current. How depressing, what year are we living in?

• Phil September 17, 2008, 1:48 PM

Open Minded,

We’re obviously living in an election year, where the contenders are trying to identify with every group out there. Obama the christian / muslim with a so called negro rabbi cousin in law that eats cheese burgers and drives to synangogue on Shabbos.

How dumb does he think we is?

Maybe we should bet him a yechi yarmulka too.

• AF September 17, 2008, 8:40 PM

How dumb does he think we is?

Maybe we should bet him a yechi yarmulka too.

Not dumb enough, judging from the last sentence (and your writing skills).

• Shua September 18, 2008, 8:47 AM

The pink yarmulke is obviously for girls folks! Yes, girls wear yarmulkes too – get with the times. Why they give a darn beats me, but to each their own.

And chill with Alternate Current’s comments. Sheesh, this is the Internet folks. If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen. There’s always going to be a continuum of views and each individual will disagree with most. Besides, who knows if he/she even exists??

• AF September 18, 2008, 9:42 AM

The pink yarmulke is obviously for girls folks!
    Or for gay men.

Another example of this political bullshit:

A campaign button on her lapel says, in Hebrew, Barack Obama ’08 and Soifer explains the agenda this way: We are here today to talk about Sen. Barack Obama and Joe Biden’s record, and to ensure that Baruch Obama is elected the next president of the United States.

Her use of the Hebrew name Baruch brings applause and laughter. The heavy turnout showed Democratic enthusiasm, but several of those on hand said they were former Hillary Clinton supporters and some of their friends were still slow to warm to Obama.
    (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/18/florida.battleground/)

Many Jews dont realize that we are primarily citizens of the Jewish State no, not the modern Israel, but the Jewish theocratic state established by Yehoshua and then re-established after the first golus. Yes, it doesnt exist today physically, but that merely means that we are a state in exile (ever heard of golus?), with government in exile (the rebbeim from the times of Mishna till now, who are spiritual and legal descendants of the Sanhedrin, the real Jewish government body) and still legally bound to obey its laws (ever heard of halacha?). It is just like Poland during WWII: they too had people in exile and government in exile. While returning to Poland was impossible (since it was occupied by a hostile government like Eretz Yosroel has been for the duration of the last golus), Poles in exile with their government-in-exile were residing in England. As a result, they had a situation of dual citizenship: Polish and British which meant that while living in the UK they had to follow its laws (obviously) and have minimal level of participation in the society to repay UK for its hospitality (pay taxes, learn English, participate in local business, when possible contribute to overall welfare of the society). But why would a Pole in exile care so much who gets elected to the UK Parliament and gets really involved in the election campaign? Hello, people? We are here temporarily, while our home is destroyed and we are waiting for it to be rebuilt. We appreciate the hospitality of this nation, we repay it by being minimally involved and contributing to the overall stability of society but this is not our home!

(This is just from historical point of view. Obviously, from yiddishkeit point of view, it is not a Jews business to be involved in the goyishe societys affairs at all except when minimally necessary: to support oneself and ones family, for example. Our main goal and essence of existence is serving Hashem.)

• B.BarNavi September 23, 2008, 3:49 PM

Anyone who denies the Yahadut of R’ Funnye and his congregation has obviously not done research. Google is your friend!