Product placement advertising comes to the news?

Welcome to the world of Clandestine Advertising!!!

Fox 5 News anchors Jason Feinberg and Monica Jackson and the McDonalds coffee, filled with fake ice

Most educated and non educated people realize that the news is mostly opinions shrouded in something that sounds like fact. But we all see past it, we know that if you are Republican you watch Fox News and Democrat you watch CNN, everyone in between watches the nightly news and reminisces about the days when news was fair and balanced, sure, when was that. So we know news is opinion and merely placed on TV to sell advertising, but what happens when you mix product placement with the news? In my view all hell breaks loose.

This is what McDonalds has already started and is likely to continue to take over out already factless news sources. In Las Vegas McDonalds is paying newscasters to place cups of iced coffee on their tables during the news. I am appalled by this as I think you should be, even though they dont actually drink the coffee, so now were wasting eh.

Whats next? Are we going to see Larry King slamming into a Slim Jim during his show. Hannity and Colmes eating snickers bars during their bickering? Maybe even publicly funded television will start getting in on it, and the news people will start wearing Old Navy or something. I just think that news is already a shaky subject but to put large corporations which already deal shady with the government, into such a volatile position with the news or propaganda if you would call it- is walking on this ice.

Think about this for a second, what would happen if advertisers started entering religious events.

Can you imagine the guy who makes havdalah on Saturday night saying- this havdalah was sponsored by Baron Herzog, remember to drink responsibly and walk home from shul. Or maybe the peroches on the torah will have a big Abercrombie and Fitch logo. What if the back of benches in shul all had advertisements on it? We could even have banners hanging from the ceiling of shuls with different advertisers on them.

Of course it would be controlled, the frummer the shuls the less likely they are to have secular advertisements, paving the way for companies like Leibers and Ungers to take over yeshvish shuls and venues, but in modern shuls, Coke and Kraft could sponsor the laining and birchas kohanim doings, it could be some great dough for all these fledgling Jewish organizations if you think about it.

• chanief August 6, 2008, 4:10 PM

Abercrombie and Fitch paroches would be soooo hot in some shuls I know. Can you imagine all of the “Oh we don’t daven there, their kiddush is brought to them by Lipton Iced Tea, Stella D’Oro Cookies and Starbucks Coffee Liquor.”

This is why I don’t watch the news (or attend religious ceremonies/services) 😉 I’m trying to keep the consumer part of my soul pure and untainted.

• Frum Satire August 6, 2008, 4:23 PM

Ah the true anti- big business eh? What about this davening was sponsored by artscroll?

• Larry August 6, 2008, 4:35 PM

The rabbi’s speech is sponsored by Marlboro, “When you needa go out, you know what to take out”

Please be reminded that beverages not carrying the Mayim Chayim logo will not be permitted to enter. For all you legal needs there’s Shreklach Law started by Chumani Mavash, a proud member and donor of the torah coverings.

• Chossid August 6, 2008, 5:00 PM

Would it replace auctioning off, um, everything in shul, particularly RH/YK? I mean tzedakah is very important but I hate the publicity aspect of it.

If shuls weren’t desperate for funds then tzedakah could be collected and distributed differently which would be a pleasant change.

• Future Druggie August 6, 2008, 5:59 PM

How about ads for Birth Control Pills in our Mikvehs?

• Chris_B August 6, 2008, 6:26 PM

Reconstructionist synagogues would have the widest choice of sponsors: Red Lobster, Honey Glaze Ham, etc. What this boils down to would be that sponsor choices would be more limited the frummer you get so the UO shuls would benefit the least. The better you keep mitzvot, the more of a dump you end up worshipping in.

• KissMeI'mShomer August 6, 2008, 6:29 PM

*can’t get the image of avertisements on shul benches out of her mind*
    The good thing about placing ads on the benches is that it would provide clear demarcations between seats. There’s always someone hogging too much room and now we can say, “Excuse me, but you’re taking up both Ambercombie and GAP. I believe that GAP is my makom kavua.”

• chanief August 6, 2008, 6:41 PM

KissMe, LOL @ GAP is my makom kavua. I’d hate to be the guy sitting in front of the Preparation H ad!!!

• Frum Satire August 6, 2008, 8:11 PM

Hey I have always thought advertisements in womens bathroom stalls were a good idea, like short clips of women products for when your sitting there twitteling your thumbs.

• chanief August 6, 2008, 9:01 PM

There are ads in some women’s bathrooms. However, they’re usually in the kinds of establishments where you don’t want to be “sitting there twiddling your thumbs”…

• Mikeinmidwood August 6, 2008, 9:27 PM

• Yochanan August 6, 2008, 9:40 PM

“advertisements on Talaisim. That would be a great way to judge what type of person someone is.”

What if Rabbis had numbers on their talitot (it’s a feminine noun) like athletes have on their jersey. Imagine seeing a Chabad guy with one that says “Shneerson
    770”

• abandoning eden August 7, 2008, 7:35 AM

dude welcome to reality.

I was just having this convo with my future father in law. He is the vice president of a national chain of stores (not going to tell you which one, but you have probably been in one), and he was telling us how instead of doing an advertising campaign, they were going to get the news to do a story on how “green” they were, since he figured being ‘green’ is in vogue.

My fiance kind of freaked out when he heard this (He’s very anti-consumer, and he couldn’t believe the news could be bought like that) but I wasn’t really surprised. in the age of american idle, which is just a big ford commercial, nothing is really sacred anymore.

• A Jewish Music Insider August 7, 2008, 8:03 AM

Maybe Judaica stores can get in on the action? Hey those tzitzis are half price if you buy the one’s that say “Eichler’s” on the back or maybe tefillin at a discount if you have the store name branded into your teffilin straps?

• Frum Satire August 7, 2008, 11:22 AM

Abandoning- what you are saying has been done for years- but to publicly place products in a newscast is a little overdoing it. Like letting the weatherman wear a northface vest or something would be completely wrong in my opinion.

• Y-Love August 7, 2008, 5:06 PM

…and no shout-out?

😀

• Frum Satire August 7, 2008, 5:23 PM

You got one on the last post- on pray at the pump

• s(b.) August 7, 2008, 6:37 PM

a newscaster having a drink in front of him/her is totally unprofessional (unless she is pregnant or has a medical need for a beverage close by, in which case it can still go under the table).

• Frum Satire August 7, 2008, 7:30 PM

I thought they have cups of water or something?

• abandoning eden August 7, 2008, 7:53 PM

I’d much rather have products out in the open,where I know it is product placement, instead of being presented as objective ‘news’

• G6 August 7, 2008, 8:57 PM

Slightly off topic, but I always thought we should install a “zipper” type “scoreboard” in shul {maybe above the aron kodesh} to announce the aliyos (who is being called up, who he’s related to, if there is a family simcha associated with this aliyah) and of course even more importantly, how much money was pledged….
    It would cut down on all the congregants’ talking and whispering dramatically (“how much did he pledge? Really…..?”)

• s(b.) August 7, 2008, 11:37 PM

there’s no such thing as objective television news on television channels that have commercials.

• suitepotato August 8, 2008, 4:08 PM

I don’t think it would help for anyone to hear “welcome to the Dunking Donuts Shabbat Services also brought to you by McDonald’s and Jiffy Lube” at my synagogue. No, not at all.