Just put bentching on page one of bentchers

Someone mentioned this phenomena last night on facebook to me- but I have also wondered about it for years, as I am sure many of you have as well. Why on earth don’t bentcher designers place “bentching” on the first page- because after all they are bentchers aren’t they? Sometimes it takes light years to navigate through bentchers and you think you have it and then realize its some other weird prayer that looks like bentching. Of course you also have those bentchers that are really megilas esthers and tehilim but don’t even get me started on that- whatever happened to not placing a stumbling block in front of your fellow Jew huh?

• Child Ish Behavior August 6, 2008, 11:40 AM

Buy a different bencher. The ones with English on the side usually have the benching in the beginning.

• Frum Satire August 6, 2008, 12:10 PM

Now tell me- have you ever met anyone that actually bought a bentcher. Bentchers are the one thing in life that are free- free at weddings, dinners and bar mitzvahs the world over has bencthers coming from their tuchuses. I was the one that thought we should recycle bentchers.

Dude I use other people bencthers at shabbos meals and can never find it.

• esther malka August 6, 2008, 1:27 PM

You never know when you’ll need a spare megilas ester…

Tehillim makes sense though.

• s(b.) August 6, 2008, 5:09 PM

I bought a bunch of betchers so everyone could have the same one, and so they could feel included and have transliteration if their Hebrew reading skills weren’t very sharp. I saw a conservative bentcher, recently, and I’d like to get a copy of one. It was pretty neat-looking. But I have a feeling regular sforim stores probably don’t carry them. Maybe a regular bookstore will have one.

• KissMeI'mShomer August 6, 2008, 6:30 PM

I don’t think we’d be able to recognize bentchers in a store if it didn’t have a little blurb in front, i.e. wedding/bar mitzvah of…

• Frum Satire August 6, 2008, 8:21 PM

Thats right Kiss Me- and I never heard of anyone buying bentchers besides SB and organizations that buy NCSY ones because that is the generic bentcher. In fact NCSY is probably only known due to their monopoly on bentchers.

• fern chasida August 6, 2008, 10:32 PM

i was just complaining about why don’t all bentschers have the birkat hamazon in the same place. it’s so annoying. sometimes the songs are in front followed by bentsching, sometimes the songs are in back. we want uniformity!!!

• KissMeI'mShomer August 6, 2008, 11:22 PM

We need a committee to regulate the format for benschers.

• Prag August 7, 2008, 4:41 AM

Great point you make there, but what else is there to do on a summerday Shabbes?

• chanief August 7, 2008, 7:20 AM

Do I hear a “bentcher crisis” coming on? It is pretty annoying that it’s never in the same place. If I knew then what I know now I would have just gathered excess bentchers from the houses of everyone I know and plunked them on the table at my wedding. I may do that at my son’s Bar Mitzvah, though he’ll probably be too embarrassed to allow it. It’s a waste of money and paper to keep reprinting them, though I do like to see how people try to outdo each other with both the placement of the actual bentching, the extra add-ins and the decorations…. To refer to your other post, how long before there is a “This bar mitzvah brought to you by….” on the back of a bentcher?

• Frum Satire August 7, 2008, 11:36 AM

You what ChanieF they make everything else a crisis- maybe you could start a thread on yeshiva world news about it- in fact I was reading some of the stuff in the coffee room and its shocking.

“why yidden are the best”

“How to enforce tznius”

You get the idea,

• stephen freakin hawking August 12, 2008, 10:30 PM

light years are a measurement of distance, not time.