Why are men so fascinated with holes in the ground?

Maybe women are too, but I know for a fact that men love holes in the ground, whether they be created by kids at the beach, construction workers in the street or by massive machinery in an open pit mine we love holes.

Next time your put walking with your man, and you pass a construction site you may notice that he has to look in the hole. I personally like seeing the different layers of street, cobblestone, asphalt, concrete and earth, along with wires, and other cool stuff only found in deep middle of the street holes. There is nothing quite like watching construction workers break the streets crust for the first time, jackhammers rock as well.

But even small holes, like the kind that ravage front yards when workers need to replace a pipe or something. These are fascinating as well, I wonder if women walk too close to the edge to see how deep they go. What about at the beach, I love those super deep holes with tunnels in them, that kids build. Even sinkholes are super cool, like those kinds that suck up cars and trucks when they form in the middle of busy intersections.

Are women as fascinated by holes?

• anon July 20, 2008, 4:01 PM

Maybe the men are looking for their brains (?) LOL

• Left Brooklyn July 20, 2008, 5:29 PM

Depends what/who’s in it 😉

• anon July 20, 2008, 6:23 PM

Men are also fascinated by other types of holes, V”DL.
    Sorry, I know it’s bad, I just couldn’t resist

• s(b.) July 20, 2008, 7:21 PM

what does v”dl mean?

• TRS July 20, 2008, 9:56 PM

Vedai Lemaven, literally, “It’s enough for those who know”, or colloquially, a word to the wise is sufficient.
    What anon is trying to say is that if you have a sick mind like he obviously does, then his intent will be clear. Otherwise, you will be ignorant, but at least you’re not sick.

• KissMeI'mShomer July 20, 2008, 10:29 PM

Beware the double entendres…

• KissMeI'mShomer July 20, 2008, 10:30 PM

Beware the double entendres…

Incidentally, I think holes in the ground are cool too. Particularly when you see the heads of the construction workers bobbing around, looking like some floaty skulls from Harry Potter…

• TRS July 20, 2008, 10:43 PM

I don’t think that there was any double entendre there-it was pure nastiness

• Lion of ZIon July 21, 2008, 8:00 AM

my son in being toilet trained and so he when he let him go whenever and wherever he has to, including in public. for a little while he loved peeing outside into the gutter, but he would also find interesting places to pee. after i explained to him what a manhole is, for a while he kept on begging me to let him pee into one (both closed and open).

he also wanted too pee on a cop car once. i wrote about this on my blog, but i know that if i put a link in here it may take two years for the comment to appear

• chanief July 21, 2008, 9:40 AM

Lion, wanting to pee on a cop car? Problem with authority or clever kid? LOL

Holes in the ground, especially construction ones are pretty interesting but I ignored them before my son showed me their beauty. He’s opened my eyes to many cool things I’d never noticed in the girly land I inhabited before he came along. Little boys rock (anon, keep your naughty little mind clean, I’m talking ’bout my son!)

• Meira July 21, 2008, 10:35 AM

Funny timing on this post. Just this weekend my son and his friend spent a long time staring at a small hole in the driveway and discussing ways to try to enlarge it – stick, shovel, dynamite, etc. And here I was worried they were weird.

• Lion of Zion July 21, 2008, 11:48 AM

CHANIEF:

i was so tempted to let him do it.

• Chris_B July 22, 2008, 4:08 AM

They are building a twenty story plus tower next to where I work. Last year it was just a hole in the ground going down four stories. We burned so much time just staring out the window into the hole.

• heimish in bp July 22, 2008, 9:32 AM

Funny, Hesh, but yes, I am also fascinated by holes in the ground.

Yesterday, i passed a site in Manhattan that has been doing construction for over a year, just pile driving and digging, and I was always dying to see what they are doing there. Yesterday I noticed someone cut a little hole in the wooden fence that surrounds that property. I was so delighted, and just stuck my hed in, people must of thought i was nuts. I must have stood there like 5-10 minutes. Man that was amazing. At least ten stories down. That’s cool.

• s(b.) July 22, 2008, 9:58 AM

it’s pritzus! pritzus, I tell you!

(I’m kidding)

Speaking of holes, I enjoyed a rain storm through a fabric canopy vent, over the weekend (the canopy was laying on the ground and I poked my head through and kept the rest of me dry). It was pretty wild.

• MikeinIsrael July 22, 2008, 10:34 AM

Just today I was in the lowest place on earth. Yam hamelach it may not be a hole but it was amazing. Does anyone know if that is true about it being the lowest, I think heard of lower?

• suitepotato July 22, 2008, 3:00 PM

The only people who are fascinated are those who don’t spend a lot of time in them. I’ve worked so many basements, trenches, pits, etc. that I would rather hike a foothill trail than see another hole in the ground.

• Frum Satire July 22, 2008, 4:00 PM

This is the lowest place on earth.

The Marianas Trench in the Pacific Ocean is 11,033 meters (36,201 feet) below sea level. If Mount Everest were placed inside of this trench, it would disappear.

• heimish in bp July 22, 2008, 4:30 PM

Hesh, you are commenting alot today. Is that in preperation for tomorrow’s open mic? Or just really bored at work today? is it raining up in monsey, and the trails are too slippery?

I am thinking of ranting a bit tomorrow, if i get a chance.

• Frum Satire July 22, 2008, 10:03 PM

Thats funny because I was thinking I wasn’t commenting that much.

Are you going to show up tomorrow- if so? Will you introduce yourself? I have no idea what I am going to talk about as of yet- just going to go with the flow.

• Frum Punk July 26, 2008, 7:49 PM

About your site sending trojans, read this page:

Probably code in one of the ads.