Girls do this constantly and it bugs the heck out of me

Why is it that whenever I end a conversation with a girl on any internet messaging service they can’t just end the conversation. Why must they say, bye 4 or 5 times. Its usually like this:

Me: well it was great talking to you- take care

Random girl: bye

Me: close the dialog box and go on with my business

Random Girl: 2 minutes later- something pops up and says “you too”

Random Girl: another 2 minutes go by and she says “take care” then it was great talking, then cya, then peace and then ttyl, then sometimes a good shabbos or have a great day etc…

Dude I said good bye because I didn’t want to chat any longer- why do girls have to do this.

Guys simply say “peace”

• chanief July 16, 2008, 9:04 PM

We do it because we like to annoy you men.

• Tamara July 16, 2008, 9:30 PM

To get the last word in perhaps?

• A23 July 16, 2008, 10:21 PM

There is less of this with texting, who IMs anymore?

• Linda July 16, 2008, 10:45 PM

Then don’t talk to girls and the problem is fixed.

• Nemo July 17, 2008, 12:51 AM

You know what it is? When you end a conversation online, you’re expected to just sign off. If you don’t sign off, you must surely have more time to talk …

Makes it really hard to end over-extended online conversation without some excuse about having to get up early in the morning, or needing time off to search the fridge for food.

• Batya July 17, 2008, 3:33 AM

True, sometimes it’s hard to know when the “conversation” is over. When I think it is, I sometimes just send a smily.

• Frum Satire July 17, 2008, 7:25 AM

Usually conversations on chat services just fade away- I find that its the girls who are really annoying in the first place that do it.

I think I am going to deliver this rant next time it happens- I can just send them a link and maybe they will get the hint.

• Hadassah July 17, 2008, 7:33 AM

not all us girls are the same you know….and how come you never IM me? i can say buh bye even briefer than you and you have never even tried.

LMTO – this online stuff gets so silly sometimes!!

• chanief July 17, 2008, 7:57 AM

Oh and instead of “peace”, you may want to try something a little stronger, like “f&*^ off” That’s usually effective.

😉

• Frum Satire July 17, 2008, 8:30 AM

I never say peace- I say chow or something of the sort or I just say nothing at all.

What is LMTO?

• Chris_B July 17, 2008, 9:51 AM

When you are married you will find out that the same thing happens without the benefit of a computer between you and the woman. Face it heshman, men and women are just different.

• heimish in bp July 17, 2008, 9:57 AM

Laughing my “tuches” off

• Hadassah July 17, 2008, 9:57 AM

LMTO – Laugh My Tushie Off

• s(b.) July 17, 2008, 12:56 PM

it’s ciao. (not that you care) lol. I prefer text or messaging to any sort of IM. If I need an exit line, I usually say, “cheers.” (my old managing editor taught me that one; he’s from Jersey, England)

• Frumbutnotaidel July 17, 2008, 3:36 PM

I agree w/Tamara – I always need to get the last word in.

• Holy Crap! July 17, 2008, 4:20 PM

Ur not talking about me right!?!? I never say bye to you.
    (Hesh, if you see the name i picked you’ll know its me.) 😛

• KissMeI'mShomer July 17, 2008, 7:09 PM

Sample thought process:
    I said goodbye.
    Convo is over, right?
    Maybe not.
    I was never good with Internet protocol.
    Maybe he’s just bored for now.
    Hey! I’m not boring!
    Of course not. If you thought of something interesting to say, the convo would restart.
    Umm….
    Okay, thinking of something.
    I hope he doesn’t think I’m ignoring him?
    Maybe he thinks I’m giving him the cold shoulder.
    Maybe he’s waiting for me to to restart conversation?
    I don’t want him to think I’m a snob.
    I’m not a snob! I’m not judgemental like that!
    I’m a perfectly friendly person.
    Great, now he’ll never want to IM me again.

• Shua July 17, 2008, 9:37 PM

eh. once shmoozed with a girl who i never knew when she was done talking. i kept interrupting and feeling like a jerk. eventually i started waiting like a minute to see if she was going to write anymore. then she probably thought i WAS a jerk – “where did he go while i was talking?”

don’t think it’s a male/female thing though. IM’ing just isn’t a great method of serious communication. imho.

oh – and the how-to-end deal is about the last word power struggle. happens in all interactions between two last-worders.

• afloydchick July 18, 2008, 5:17 PM

i know a guy who does it, he just doesnt want the conversation to end.

• WebGirl July 21, 2008, 11:46 AM

Here’s an idea…log off the minute you say bye and she responds. It’s like hanging up the phone.

Actually, I find that guys do it more.

The worst is that post-chat email, the one where they are basking in the afterglow, that says “hey, I just really want you to know that I really enjoyed chatting with you tonight, I really did and I hope we can chat again really soon.” Guy, it’s over. Go to sleep.

-WG

• Frum Satire July 21, 2008, 2:04 PM

But I am not always signing off- I just want the current conversation done with- cant women get the hint?

• WebGirl July 21, 2008, 3:31 PM

Stay online and temporarily block them from seeing you.

Yeah, no, we don’t get hints.

• Leslie December 30, 2010, 7:21 PM

It does seem to figure prominently with the young ladies, though they’re def not the only guilty parties. Speaking of “guilty”…that’s something I don’t feel if I’m done talking and have said goodbye, and then ignore all attempts at further communication. I’m not logging off; maybe I have other things to do than chat with “you”…deal.