Shkoyach, Shaloshudos and Yuntiff- sound frummy but make no sense

There are three words that are used solely by frummies that are compounded from their normal usages. These are such common words that like many slang terms- they are said to be the actual words- the problem is that many people not inclined to spend time within the frum community- IE many of our BT’s can probably attest that the first time they heard these three words said- that they had no idea what the person was talking about, and upon learning what they were saying, thought that the words must have been yiddish.

Shalashudos– now this is not yiddish and is in fact a Hbrew term supposed to mean Shalosh Suedos- which makes no sense but since it sounds frummer then Seuda Shlishit- because God forbid would anyone who says the suf actually use words that used a tuf, because people may think we are modern orthodox or worse – zionistic!

Yuntiff– another word that could be mistaken as Yiddish, because many people mumble it into a incoherent wind muffled- passing you by without the use of good or “gut” as the yuntiff crowd says. So in fact it goes from good yom tov, to gut yuntiff to just plain old yuntiff, sometimes said twice in the street by a more friendly lively person. So you may be wondering why they just don’t say Good Yom Tov or even worse Chag Someyach. Well Yuntiff sounds frummer if you ask me- and we are in a stage of Social Orthodoxy which I will be getting to in a later post.

Shkoyach– ok the other words have their reasons, but how Yasher Koach (the word used to congratulate someone on putting the torah away without dropping it, or becoming bar mitzvad , or a million other jobs in shul) became Shkoyach- which when said the frummy way, resembles someone hocking a particularly thick luggie in their car stopped at a red light. In fact I think it was invented by that guy in shul who wears suits that are 40 years old and always sits on his own cushion placed on the bench- who always seems to be hocking luggies during laining.

• Frum Librarian May 14, 2008, 10:32 AM

you know you COULD say Seudah Shlishis. It isn’t illegal to but a saf at the end of the word if that is how you speak.

• Frum Punk May 14, 2008, 11:54 AM

I’ve always wondered about these three. We’re not even saying the words anymore, does it still count as a brocha to say “shkoyach”?

• heshman May 14, 2008, 11:56 AM

Hmm… is that what yasher koach is, a bracha? If so does a bracha have to be exact or is intent fine- even though I feel that all these Jewish traditions which involve shaking hands were originally done to spread disease amongst Jews- by secret police who were posing to be Jewish.

• Anonymous May 14, 2008, 12:21 PM

Purely for entertainment, I have begun saying things like ‘seudah shlishit’ and ‘chag samaech’ in my right-wing community. It’s a riot to watch people’s faces go blank while they figure out how to react. I know I’ll never get a shidduch this way…but it’s really fun.

• And Sarah Laughed December 6, 2013, 10:36 AM

I started saying “Good shabbos” and “a gitte voch” to friends in left-wing communities for the same reason. 🙂

• s(b.) May 14, 2008, 12:44 PM

Anonymous, you rock. lol That’s great. Shkoyach is annoying, ’cause I’d like to abbreviate it YK, but I don’t want people to think I mean Yom Kippur. Here’s some language nerd fun with the phrase: … balashon.com/2006/02/yishar-koach.html

• heshman May 14, 2008, 12:46 PM

Hey Anon- I also switch it up sometimes- I will bust out the Shabbat Shalom to see people cringe at any hint of Zionism or modernity that, that entails- its quite fun as you pointed out.

• Anonymous May 14, 2008, 1:00 PM

It really is amazing

• Anonymous May 14, 2008, 1:02 PM

Oops…Anyway, it really is amazing the way just changing from using a suf to tuf will completely alter the way people perceive you.

• Child Ish Behavior May 14, 2008, 1:12 PM

Or how about bustin out the guttural Shabbat shalom UMivorachchchchchchchchch. Just to make fun of the good old sfardi, who looks on with that weird smile, after telling you to be quiet the whole davening.

• Jessica May 14, 2008, 1:23 PM

I never could figure out how to pronounce “shaloshudos”. I usually go with, “So, you want to eat, uh… holy third meal?” I try to act like I’m joking by calling it that, but truth is, I have no idea how to say most Jew words. Thanks for clearing that one up for me!

• heshman May 14, 2008, 1:35 PM

Hey Jessica glad I could provide an education as well entertainment.

• sfaradi tahor May 14, 2008, 3:26 PM

Yasher koiach IS a bracha. It means your strength, koiach, should be enriched, yasher. By the way, in hebrew it’s with two yuds, y’yasher. Then the person answering should say baruch tihyeh i.e. you should be blessed [also].

• Mak May 14, 2008, 3:30 PM

shkoyach! love that, and I just realized that I use all three, though, I never knew whether to call it Shalshudos, or seudas shlishis, so I tend to to switch.

• stacy May 14, 2008, 3:56 PM

Try accidently letting a ‘saturday night’ instead of motzei shabbos slip out in front of real frummies, they act like i just desecrated shabbos or something.

• Frum Punk May 14, 2008, 4:02 PM

‘Motzai Shabbos is alright for fighting’ just doesnt have the same ring to it.

• Frum Librarian May 14, 2008, 5:38 PM

I once did a sociological experiment where I spent Rosh Hashana trying to use the right greeting with the right person, i.e. Shana Tovah to a Sfardi person, Gut Yor to a frummy looking person, Happy New Year to people with doilies /shiny satin yarmulkes on their heads. I got so many more replies than usual that I started doing it every Shabbos! My husband thinks I’m nuts, but it’s kinda fun trying to guess if the lady coming up is the Good Shabbos type or Shabbat Shalom type.

• s(b.) May 14, 2008, 6:27 PM

((frum librarian))

• chnyock May 14, 2008, 6:50 PM

lubab bts have to learn kishntuches too as part of orientation

• mikeinmidwood May 14, 2008, 9:45 PM

Why do people say your strength shall be great, being that judaism promotes education we should say your wisdom should shall become greater

• s(b.) May 14, 2008, 10:15 PM

Mike, ’cause the phrase originally was directed toward people doing hagba (according to what I’ve read today).

• heshman May 14, 2008, 10:22 PM

Hagba, candy throwing at auf rufs, um…precise challah cutting, tight tefilin strapping, hm what else…chest clopping during selach lanu.

• me May 14, 2008, 11:32 PM

When walking past people in Midwood, say PAJAMAS in response to Shabbos. Leaves them a wonderin’!

• Elisheva May 15, 2008, 9:39 AM

My tongue trips over sueda shlishit and I sound like a moron, thus I usually say third meal.

It’s nice being BT, you get some slack for being clueless :-).

• Momo May 15, 2008, 12:04 PM

Man, does it tick me off when people use “Shkoyach” instead of thank you, as in: “Shkoyach for the notes”

I usually, say “oh, you mean thanks?” Gets em flustered every time.

• Hesh May 15, 2008, 3:51 PM

Wow I never knew this was such a touchy topic Momo-

Elisheva its true BTism has its perks- going to do a post about it.

• gp May 15, 2008, 4:38 PM

I couldn’t understand why everyone around me was always saying shkoyach this and shkoyach that until I was told it’s in lieu of ‘thanks’ in the chassidish world. Where I come from it means…err.. yasher koach.

• heterim are for hippies May 15, 2008, 11:44 PM

The hardest thing about being a BT after you’re 100% shomer Torah and Mitzvos is Pesach time.

This is the one yontif that nearly the entire frum velt goes back to family. And you’ve got to be miserable by a shliach with the rest of the mekuravim that are still driving to shul. Don’t get me wrong – Pesach is an amazing hoilday yadda yadda. This is just the one time of the year when your family’s lack of frumkeit is the most glaring.

• Hiker May 16, 2008, 12:26 AM

Not me I would rather spend the holidays at a shliach then at my fam.

• Anonymous May 16, 2008, 3:52 AM

what about moadim lsimcha for hol moade

• mikeinmidwood May 16, 2008, 4:31 PM

Too many people say good shabbos during the week (as a joke) but hardly do I ever get one on Shabbos.

• Dovid May 26, 2008, 9:19 PM

What I was taught was to a say “A gutten erev Shabbos” to anyone you see on Friday between Mincha and Maariv unless you know for a fact that they have said Mincha. You have to know that they have said Mincha (as in having said it with them or having been told it by them) and not that it’s 100% likely that they have based on their usual practice. A lot of people wish each other “Gut Shabbos” after Shacharis on Fridays or if you run into them at lunchtime. The only way around this would be to either say, “Have a Gut Shabbos,” or “A gutten erev Shabbos.”

• Ex-Yeshivish May 27, 2008, 3:37 AM

I’ve heard that the reason we say Shalosh Sudos, meaning 3 meals is because eating the third meal has the same merit as eating all 3 shabbos meals. I guess you’re so full after kugel and cholent that they have to up the ante for the third meal.

Another saying that weirds me out is after birkas cohanim when people just say “shkoyach kohen” like the guy doesn’t have a name and we still refer to people by their tribe affiliation.

• heshman May 27, 2008, 6:46 AM

Shkoyach kohen- so true- never thought of that one.

• Jelen January 1, 2009, 2:38 AM

1. as the official self-appointed yiddish scholar commenter, i’d like t inform you, mister heshy fried, that “yuntif” actually is a yiddish word. sure, it originated from “tom tov” but the yiddish names “yankev” and then “yankel” originated from “yaakov…” okay they’re derivatives, but languages evolve from one another and “yuntif” really is a word.

2. i thought i was the only one who knew about “pajamas” or as i like to pronounce it, “pijahmiss” just to be a shabbos goof sometimes.

• Sergey Kadinsky July 20, 2009, 5:22 PM

The Bukharians in my community say “Shabbat Shalon,” and the Askenazim stick with a “good Shabbos.”

For fun, I apply the greetings to the opposite community.

• Sergey Kadinsky July 20, 2009, 5:25 PM

i meant shabbat shalom, lest anyone think there was yet another greeting to remember.

• Paskuniak May 11, 2015, 12:39 PM

I know im super late on this, but this post reeks of Baal-tshuvaism. I grew up in a modern-orthodox community in Canada, and everyone regularly said these phrases, along with good-shabbos, gut voch, gut-yor, etc. They aren’t “frummy’ – they are ashkenazi, and most certainly yiddish (since yiddish is a language evolved from mostly german vocabulary, but hebrew as well).
    And Btw, ‘good-yom-tov didnt’ become gut-yuntiff. Actually the other way around.
    What I dont understand is why nowadays modern orthodox communities reject their ashkenaz heritage and pretend to be israeli/sefardi.

• shtark bochur July 9, 2018, 5:23 PM