Mishpacha mgazine if full of it!!!

So everybody loves the topic of ridiculous questions that shadchuns and other folks within the matchmaking field ask. Numerous websites and articles tend to be critical of how out of hand the situation has become. I have even written a list of ridiculous questions folks may ask as the external judgments within the frum community reach an all time high.

A few weeks ago I read an article devoted to this issue within mishpacha magazine- the magazine that is mostly written by women for women yet contains chas vshalom no pictures of women. So anyway they had a bunch of stories that readers had written in concerning their situations with weird and stupid questions that folks have asked about potential matches. One person told of their someone asking if the boy had laces on his shoes, since tying laces may take out some time from learning. So ridiculous that I would have never even thought of it.

My problem is not with the article itself. It was a great article(unfortunately they do not have free archives on their website-you must pay) My beef is with the way the readers wrote in. If these people are OUTRAGED at the way the shidduch process is going in terms of craziness. Why do they not sign their letters with their full names. It is definitely hypocritical to be so against something yet unwilling to actually make it real. Are they in fact full of it, and scared of their children’s shidduch chances because they spoke out against the status quo?

After noticing the anonymity of the snippet horror stories that readers had sent in, without the full names of the writers. I fel that there was no way of verifying these stories to be true or mere fabrications of the editing staff on Mishpacha Magazine to try and sell more copies through controversial topics such as these. If large news companies can fabricate stories and get away with it, whats to stop these small publications with minimal readership?

• February 26, 2007, 8:04 PM

As Mispacha purports to be chareidi, as evidenced by absence of all women’s pictures in a magazine aimed largely at a female readership, it cannot seriously aim to change the system. Chareidi conservatives would never want to rock the boat. Happily, our gift subscription has finally terminated, so my husband no longer has to get upset by that magazine’s articles.

• February 26, 2007, 8:32 PM

I agree with the author on this one. If you want the reader to relate to the articles point in the first place- you cannot hide who you are. By hiding you are basically saying that although you are against the whole shadchun backround check thing- you would rather no one know you are. Good post.

• February 26, 2007, 9:28 PM

Link?

• February 26, 2007, 11:54 PM

Um, and this from a (nominally) anonymous blogger?

• February 27, 2007, 7:19 AM

You see I work in a field where you have to be annonymous- although based on the fact- my exact stats are mentioned and the frum community in Albany is about 30 families it would take you exactly one phone call to find out who I am. Further more I have a link to my frumster profile.

The respondents from Mishpacha do not even use their first names, they also do not say where they are from, and initials just doesn’t cut it.

If you WANTED to find out who I am I would tell you via email or you can find me on facebook- like some of my followers have. These people might as well be 100% fictitious.

ICE HORSE – as I mentioned the Mishpacha magazine website will only allow a link if I purchase the article- a load of shite in my book. But thats their choice.

• February 27, 2007, 10:18 AM

hey frumbut
    nice post but you need to remember that even publishing such an article is scandalous by charedi standards. For better or worse, Mishpacha is the most open and critical of all charedi publications, unlike pravda neeman they have toed the line afew times by openly discussing problems within the charedi community even if it makes some of their readers squirm.
    In the charedi community any form of criticisizim or thinking outside the box is bad, so if people want to be critical they still need anonymity

• February 27, 2007, 6:21 PM

Once in a while Mishpacha writes something worth reading. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the stuff they print is inane cr@p.
    They’re in a real bind at Mishpacha. When you try to write a Kosher version of Time magazine, it’ s going to suck. It’s neither Torah nor is it entertaining.

• May 8, 2007, 10:08 PM

Mishpacha Magazine archives are now FREE

• May 9, 2007, 9:30 AM

Wow that many complaints!!!

• Chutznikit February 26, 2008, 4:01 PM

Mishpacha may not pubish pics of women, but it does have drawings/cartoons of chicks in short skirts and heels.

Who wants to write in to complain? I’m telling you folks, we gotta watch the purity of our homes.

• hento cock July 19, 2018, 7:00 AM

Adjustments 2010, 2011, and 2012 all locally reinforce Windows 7, without requiring an invigorate.